Ashley's triumph: Loss of parents shaped scholar, didn't define her

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Feb 26, 2005.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

3. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Wow... That is an amazing story. We can always count on you, wdlove, to provide inspirational and uplifting stories to the MacRumors community like this one. Orphoned by the age of 15, Ashley didn't want to leave her house. So, with the help of many relatives, she has continued to leave in her childhood house since the death of her two parents. Experiencing the death of her mother and then the prolonged battle with lung cancer that her Dad faught made Ashley into a mature woman far sooner than should have been necessary. Many people would have been immobolized with grief and dispair in this sort of situation, but you have to give it to her - she stuck it out and has been applying her energy towards doing good towards others ever since this tragedy struck her own family.

4. greatm31 macrumors member

greatm31

What I don't understand is how these ABC people get away with blatantly taking advantage of this girl's life story. It's pathetic! Clearly they want to milk it for all it's worth. America loves a story of loss and triumph, right? Watch ABC's Oscar coverage! Feel good about yourself! Make the corporate types a few extra millions. Makes me sick.

5. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't see this as taking advantage of Ashley. It's honoring her for accomplishments that she has made in her life against adversity. This is some good news for a change, something that we should want to see more.

6. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

Now all you're doing is putting the networks in a catch 22.

7. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

i seem to be missing the point here. sure she has lost her parents, unfortunately, this isn't a rare occurrence. what i want to see is a celebrity adopt one of the orphans of 9/11 or the recent tsunami, that would be a triumph to me.

it's unfortunate she was orphaned so young, but this is nothing more than an attempt to boost ratings versus fox, hooray for the media machine.

8. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I think this sums it up very well. Quite an accomplishment after the loss of two parents. I think that she will make a great doctor.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/OnlyinAmerica/story?id=538082&page=1