Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
..Because without the man that this film focuses on this website wouldn't even exist.

Not what I meant. I'm a fan of Steve Jobs like many others here. However, I'm no fan of Ashton Kutcher.

Pirates of Silicon Valley seems like it has an edge on this movie story wise. The only thing redeeming about jOBS (or however they want to call it now) is its production value.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Kutcher is a legendary actor. I believe he has delved so deep into the role that Apple should actually hire him to revamp their aging product line. He may be a better Steve Jobs than Jobs himself was.

LMAO, I would hardly use the word legendary to describe Ashton Kutcher. I certainly hope you were being sarcastic. If not, your standards are must be medium to low if you consider him to be legendary.

He was a jerk at Macworld anyway today. That Prima Donna didn't want to come to the show floor and talk to us. After all, the public is paying to see the movie. He stayed upstairs in the VIP lounge.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Think about that while whining about inaccuracy, even obvious inaccuracy. Focus on -- is it a good film? Does it tell an interesting story in an interesting way? Did Kelso do a good Jobs? Looks pretty good to me so far, but what do I know.

Based on the clip put out last week, no. It's not a good film. That scene was terribly written, horribly acted, even more horribly directed and the cinematography was retched.

----------

Or MAYBE, they could have sat down with Woz, listened to HIS story, and actually created an accurate movie...

There were many things they could have done. Including real research, talked with many people etc. really gotten to understand the events that made Jobs who he became etc. perhaps even decided they needed more than a 100 minute movie to tell it.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Kutcher is a legendary actor. I believe he has delved so deep into the role that Apple should actually hire him to revamp their aging product line. He may be a better Steve Jobs than Jobs himself was.

The fuh?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Who cares, why is this even on the front page?

Because people will read it, will come here to snark about it and thus generate lots of page hits for the site owners to make money. Same with all websites.

Same reason the three hacks behind this movie made it, they knew the connection to Apple and Jobs would get them free press. And it has

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
Or MAYBE, they could have sat down with Woz, listened to HIS story, and actually created an accurate movie...

Or make another movie and call it "WOZ"

Wait I read the book, forget it.

----------

Sarcasm dude, sarcasm

----------

Based on the clip put out last week, no. It's not a good film. That scene was terribly written, horribly acted, even more horribly directed and the cinematography was retched.

What about the costumes?

Kielzog

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2002
He studied the role very well

He even got the reality distortion thing right: what does he mean? That it doesn't matter that they got the facts straight, as long as it's entertaining? But because it's done 'with the utmost love' makes it allright? I don't think so.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
I wish the movie well.

Those that have read the official biography, watched One More Thing, and Pirates of Silicon Valley probably can point out the inaccuracies but maybe this movie is about bring more people into the Apple story than catering to people that have been following the store since 1984, or before.

Give it a chance. Bring your wife/husband/significant other that doesn't realize the impact the company has had on you. Maybe it will help them understand your passion for the company.

A movie about your life...about how much drug you did..and um.... how many times you cheated.... yeah....
I like to know more about that. It must be a TRUE STORY...because it said based on true story.

How does assassinating your character make you feel? Sorry...the movie without full knowledge about Jobs or how the situation went down is totally bogus.

Chataupiano

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012

He's good but he's no legend

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
This is an unnecessary mythicizing of Jobs' life. If this was made 10-20 years ago, these inaccuracies could be expected. Today, when so many facts are easily accessible in countless books and all over the internet, there is little excuse for getting the story so wrong.

They are just looking to cash in while the hype is hot and don't have the balls to look too deeply into the realities of Jobs' story. I imagine a large portion of the writing process was Kutcher and the writers sitting in a room, getting high, and thinking up egotistical Jobs-esque quotes that he never actually said.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
This is an unnecessary mythicizing of Jobs' life. there is little excuse for getting the story so wrong.
They are just looking to cash in while the hype is hot and don't have the balls to look too deeply into the realities of Jobs' story. I imagine a large portion of the writing process was Kutcher and the writers sitting in a room, getting high, and thinking up egotistical Jobs-esque quotes that he never actually said.
Welcome to Drama as Entertainment. ANY mainstream Hollywood film "based on a true story" is going to play with the facts in order to make the story more interesting or compelling, or simply to save time.

Argo, the execrable U-571 -- even the Spielberg historical films -- have all altered the story to make the movie work.

"Drama is life with the dull bits cut out", as Hitchcock said. You take twelve conversations that Jobs may have had with 12 different guys over 5 years, and you conflate the gist of it into one conversation with Woz for 2 minutes of film time.

You should not believe them to be entirely factual, and you should not expect to learn history from them.

Last edited:

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen

But if they had done that it would have been all about Wozniak..

"... oh yeah, there was this other dude that had a garage or something, but I really put this whole thing together!"

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Welcome to Drama as Entertainment. ANY mainstream Hollywood film "based on a true story" is going to play with the facts in order to make the story more interesting or compelling, or simply to save time.

Argo, the execrable U-571 -- even the Spielberg historical films -- have all altered the story to make the movie work.

"Drama is life with the dull bits cut out", as Hitchcock said. You take twelve conversations that Jobs may have had with 12 different guys over 5 years, and you conflate the gist of it into one conversation with Woz for 2 minutes of film time.

You should not believe them to be entirely factual, and you should not expect to learn history from them.

Making a film that is a gushy love letter to the subject matter usually doesn't make for good drama or entertainment. This reminds me of sports movies that rewrite history and do nothing but hug the nuts of the main character being portrayed. History will likely look at this film like how the modern day views "The Babe Ruth Story" from 1948.

Even real life documentaries are going to have bias and not be completely accurate. It just looks like they are painting Jobs to be some superhuman Edison + Einstein + Jesus Christ character while giving him entirely too much credit. I suspect that naivety and unfamiliarity with the subject matter played a larger role in this than the need to create drama.

I don't expect the authorized film written by Aaron Sorkin to be completely accurate and not play with reality a bit for the sake of the film medium. The difference is that it appears that the main reason that Kutcher's jOBS is inaccurate is because of rushed and sloppy screenwriting. The fact that the writer of jOBS only has this one credit to his name on IMDB somewhat supports that theory. This appears to be a Hollywood hack job from the top down.

olimac3

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
I'm looking forward to seeing it. I hope they worked my suggestion into a scene: I wanted to see Kutcher/Jobs/Kelso sitting in 'the circle' sharing some grass with Woz, Bill Gates, and maybe Ballmer.

Ballmer could really use some.

:p

nice one! :D Maybe he recycled in the movie his clothes from That 70's show!

StoopDude

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Utah
i saw the "JOBS" movei this last sunday at Sundance. it was actually pretty good! i enjoyed it! it did only have a phone call of jobs yelling at gates and no mention on Xerox. it focused most of the time on getting APPLE started up and out of the garage and then the kicking out and bringing back of jobs to apple. also had a scene about when jobs and ive first met.

overall i thought it was a good film!

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Ugh... (Social Network)

My biggest issue with that movie was how dark it was filmed. Supposedly, that was intentional and for "artistic effect" (since the movie suddenly becomes much brighter in scenes where they wanted you to feel the most impact). But when I watched it on my home theater at the house -- awful.

Exactly this.

For example after watching the Social Network, I think it probably wasn't a very accurate representation of events. To start with, Mark Zuckerberg certainly doesn't seem as social and sharp on the tongue in real life as he does in the movie. However, it was a movie that I enjoyed watching so I didn't really care.

I just hope I think the same about this movie after watching it.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
I read something very disturbing today.
Ashton tried to get into Job's character more deeply, so he adopted Job's strict fruitarian diet and wound up in the hospital with pancreatic trouble.
Jobs died of pancreatic cancer. Did he unwittingly cause his own death?

Gravity

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Chicago

Absolutely. In fact, history will show him to be a more revered actor than screen legends such as Buddy Hackett, Dom Deluise... and even Keanu Reeves. LOL

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
But if they had done that it would have been all about Wozniak..

"... oh yeah, there was this other dude that had a garage or something, but I really put this whole thing together!"

That's if they used exactly his story, word for word, but armed with the knowledge of someone actually there, and other people involved, it could have been closer to what really happened.

I look at this like "Dragon the Bruce Lee Story." That was RIDDLED with un truth, but it portrayed him as a good man, it made his family happy, and the movie was entertaining. I'm hoping this movie at LEAST does that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.