Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Open Road Films has announced that it is the distributor for the Ashton Kutcher-led film jOBS, and that the movie will receive a full release in April of this year, reports Deadline.

ashtonkutcher.jpg
Directed by Joshua Michael Stern, written by Matthew Whitely, shot by Oscar- winning cinematographer Russell Carpenter and produced by Mark Hulme, jOBS details the major moments and defining characters that influenced Steve Jobs on a daily basis from 1971 through 2000. jOBS plunges into the depths of his character, creating an intense dialogue-driven story that is as much a sweeping epic as it is an immensely personal portrait of Steve Jobs' life. The filmmakers were granted unprecedented access during shooting to the historic garage in Palo Alto, that served as the birthplace to Apple Inc. jOBS stars Ashton Kutcher, Dermot Mulroney, Josh Gad, Lukas Haas, J.K. Simmons and Matthew Modine. Inferno Entertainment is handling international sales on jOBS.
The film will premier at the Sundance Film Festival in Utah later this month.

Article Link: Ashton Kutcher Movie 'jOBS' to Be Released in April

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
More pub than Sony version

This version has gotten more publicity than the SONY film based on Jobs. Hoping that it turns out to be good. Reports were that Kutcher took the roll very serious.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Movies I'm planning to see in theaters in 2013:
- jOBS
- Ender's Game
... is that all? Am I missing any? Is the Sony one expected to be any good?

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I still think it's a bit cheesy to have the lowercase j in the title, but that's just my opinion. We'll see how the actual film itself turns out to be. Truth be told I'm more interested in Sony's film however.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Pathetic comments about the film being crap due to Ashton Kutcher in 3...2...1...

(for the record, when he needs to play a serious role, he does it pretty damn well)

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
I scoffed at this initially, but I have seen Kutcher play some serious roles and feel that there is some hope here. He certainly looks the part, I'm just having a tough time imagining him as Jobs. Probably because I've still got "Pirates of Silicon Valley" as my standard.

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
I believe I will see this movie. I know little of Steve Jobs. Should be informative.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Really looking forward to this movie. I think Kutcher is by far the best Steve Jobs (young) lookalike in Hollywood. Hopefully it will be truthful to what really happened.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I agree with the earlier comments that Kutcher actually does know how to act. And he definitely is the spitting image of the younger Jobs. I'm looking forward to this film.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I believe I will see this movie. I know little of Steve Jobs. Should be informative.

Or, as with many biopics, it could well be a hagiographic, semi-fictionalized, made-up dialogue, historically inaccurate presentation. Or not...:p ;)

I must disagree with one of the posters above...what little I have seen of Ashton Kutcher (I am, admittedly, not familiar with his entire oeuvre), no matter what is required of him, he is high school awful.

Just one man's opinion...:D

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Silly capitalisation in the name but I'll certainly be watching the film and I reserve judgement on it until that time.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
There are some things can be given a slide when appearing on the MacRumors front page but anything with Ashton Kutcher shouldn't be one of them.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I am looking more forward to this one than the Sony effort. Reason being is that this one seems to be more about the life of Jobs rather than just behind the scenes at product launches like Sony's. I also quite like the play on his name with the small j and think that Ashton Kutcher should be given a chance before slating him..

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
If I didn't know anything about this movie the title makes me think it's a documentary about peoples jobs and the work force. Instead they're relying on some "clever" use of typography for people to make the connection? Simple is better. Should have just gone with "Steve Jobs" and be done with it.

End of rant.

I'll wait for the reviews before seeing it in the theater, but I'll still end up seeing it at some point out of pure curiosity.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
im pretty excited for this movie. i don't know why it has gotten so much hate on the website in the past.

It's because of it's star Ashton Kutcher....people don't think very high of him I guess. Me? I don't care. If its good its good, if its not good....well, its not good.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Nobody will do a better Jobs than Noah Wiley. And for that matter, nobody will do a better Gates than Anthony Michael Hall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.