Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
Just watched it yesterday. It was entertaining and well done and not once did it lose my attention. Not a perfect movie, but by no means was it the crime against humanity that some Apple fans make it out to be. :rolleyes:

The biggest criticism I can make of it is that it felt sort of cartoony and exaggerated at points, but I think that was actually the intent.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
There are tons of worst movies. People hate this movie because it doesn't show Jobs as perfect. I think people wanted to see Steve Jobs as they see him from the keynotes. They probably never saw Steve Jobs angry and it just ruined the image they had of Steve Jobs.

It seems to me that there's always been lots of grittiness behind the scenes at Apple and that Jobs could be very brutal. I'd quite enjoy seeing that depicted.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
the scene where he meets Jonny Ive and the light seems to be emitting from behind Jobs making him look celestial is quite ridiculous

(disclaimer: had a few beers while watching so recollection may not be top notch, but I do know it was ridiculous)

Didn't seem too over the top to me. This scene was Jobs returning to Apple. If anything, Jobs' placement by the window just made him, visually, the outsider. I don't think the light was intended to look celestial. Doesn't look like it to me. Besides, the "Why are you still here?" part is brilliant so who cares?

Here's the scene in question.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
There are tons of worst movies. People hate this movie because it doesn't show Jobs as perfect. I think people wanted to see Steve Jobs as they see him from the keynotes. They probably never saw Steve Jobs angry and it just ruined the image they had of Steve Jobs.

Doubt it. I think most people here if not all know who Steve Jobs was.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
it is 2014 and they still charge more for HD. ridiculous :rolleyes:

What's the problem? The HD is generally the same price as Apple's competitors (eg. Google Play), but you also get a cheaper option for those who don't care and want to save a couple bucks.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
What's the problem? The HD is generally the same price as Apple's competitors (eg. Google Play), but you also get a cheaper option for those who don't care and want to save a couple bucks.

idk ... lets see maybe make the HD one the price of the SD one and make SD an download option if u purchase the HD one.

those prices are insane, never will i spent so much money for a drm protected file. i can get the bluray + dvd + digital download combo pack for 12,99€ in its week of release. dont even get me started on those prices of a "rental". its more than a 3D movie ticket with student discount over here lol

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
idk ... lets see maybe make the HD one the price of the SD one and make SD an download option if u purchase the HD one.

those prices are insane, never will i spent so much money for a drm protected file. i can get the bluray + dvd + digital download combo pack for 12,99€ in its week of release. dont even get me started on those prices of a "rental". its more than a 3D movie ticket with student discount over here lol

Consider yourself lucky. In Canada, a typical bluray combo pack runs about $30 CDN in the week of release. 3D movie tickets are around $15 and afaik there's no student discounts. A theater once tried to sell me a $42 movie ticket ffs.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
I watched it. I was entertained. The overwhelming feeling I developed at the end of the film was that it was just "flat."

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
it is 2014 and they still charge more for HD. ridiculous :rolleyes:

In an age where Blu-rays go down to $9.99 on sale it is a little shameful that an HD that is half the quality, lacks alt audio etc and have a handful of the features is more. i wish they would move to get everything at least 720p if not 1080p, Drop the SD only and put the HD at the SD price.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Update 1:10 PM PT: "Jobs" is no longer available for streaming on Netflix. It is unclear why the film was removed from the site and if the unavailability is only temporary.

Due to the massive suck factor clogging the webs arteries.

k4rrjin

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2013
It's certainly not an art piece like The Social Network.

I found the social network pretty "meh" and not really "artistic", it was more fiction than anything. There was significantly less material and they made zuck seem like a crazy genius when actually he made some website and also had tons of luck. Jobs built and re-built apple and pixar over decades and had a pretty turbulent private life as well with lots of "shadows" and I thought the good thing about "Jobs" was that you got to see quite a few of the bad things about Steve as well.

MiamiGuy65

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2014
It was ok

You guys seem to be highly critical, almost childish at times. If one says he stinks, then the other kid follows. Anyways, I am not a fan of Ashston, just an observer. He was hired to do something, so he acted. Yes, he has had a resume of acting gigs that don't paint a pretty picture. But man, if you were getting paid that kind of money, wouldn't you, well, take the job?

The jobs movie was not well written, yes. There were a bunch of missteps, yes. I have read extensibly the history of Apple and Steve Jobs, so while watching the movie, I just told myself, ok, relax, its a movie. Then I started to actually enjoy it. Ashton's portrayal of Steve Jobs was fair to good.
He tried his best and got a few mannerisms. But to vilify the guy, please.
I am looking forward to the other movie. Remember that its almost impossible to be 100 percent accurate in movies that last 2 hours, average. I would love to see a mini series done on Apple. A mini series, one like a short soap opera. Maybe have it last one week. THAT would be great.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Update 1:10 PM PT: "Jobs" is no longer available for streaming on Netflix. It is unclear why the film was removed from the site and if the unavailability is only temporary.

Due to the massive suck factor clogging the webs arteries.
So many much much worse movies out there still on Netflix and other services though.

onlnagent

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
This movie should have went straight to DVD/Netflix. Pirates of Silicon Valley was a much better movie.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I have to laugh at people who say they couldn't watch the entire thing or refuse to watch it and yet have an unwavering opinion about the quality of the film.

Make no mistake: if you didn't finish watching it or haven't watched it, then your opinion of the film is meaningless. Seems obvious to me but I'm emphasizing that because some people don't seem to understand that you have to actually watch the entire film before you can possess a valid judgment of it.

Hard to believe anyone needs to explain that. :rolleyes:

----------

It is THAT bad. It's a horrible, unwatchable mess from start to finish. Steve Jobs life story deserves a hell of a lot better than this garbage. And as loyal Apple fans, we shouldn't be rewarding the makers of this movie with our time and money.

See, I added emphasis to your post to highlight what I suspect is the "problem" with this film. I love Apple's products but I'm not a "loyal fan." Maybe that's why I enjoyed this film.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I rented it on Redbox when it was released. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. It certainly was a watch once and probably never watch again type film.

I'm more looking forward to David Fincher's film about Jobs.

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
It's back on Netflix streaming.

-Kevin

I hope it is still available on Netflix when I get home tonight. I was hoping to stream it last night, but it wasn't there. Instead I watched MUD and that was a terrific film. I also watched Paranoia, which was pretty good as well.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.