Asia quake death toll over 11,000

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jsw, Dec 26, 2004.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I couldn't see where this had been posted.

From CNN:

Terrible.

Edit: Count is now over 135,000.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

wow... when i looked this morning the ranges were between 3,500 and 5,000... this is terrible. i hope that other countries are willing to extend a helping hand...

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Very sad news. I pray for the victims of this Earth Quake and the resultant tsunami. Hopefully reliefs efforts will be able to be mounted soon. It seems that usually the United States is among the first. :(

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

5. iPegboy macrumors regular

it's just unreal. my fiancee was orginally born in thailand and we have a friend who lives in southern thailand. calls to her cell phone won't go through. she's not a close friend or anything, we swamp e-mails every month or so. but i'm still very concerned for her.

strange, this reminds me of a frantic call i got from her on Sept. 11 making sure i wasn't either on one of those planes or anywhere near those tragides.

here's to hoping those esitmates are too high.

6. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i was just reading about this and they said over 14,000 now... absolutely horrible. this kind of lose is very dis-heartening. i pray that as many people as possible could/can be rescued.

7. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

A really disasterous tragedy. Really sad that the poorest people of those countries were hit the hardest. It will still take a while to track down how many tourists died, and those that are hurt and missing.

We should all pray for them and help them out where possible.

8. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

wow, I can't believe the massive damages, I heard that the numbers are up to 25K. I really hope that's an overestimate. It's too bad to hear that there wasn't much if any warning for the tsunamis, I imagine that lots of lives would have been saved if India and Sri Lanka were part of the international warning system.

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

With everything that's been going on here with the holidays, I didn't realize something had happened until I read the paper this morning. Shocking - especially with the extent of the damage and the speed with which it appears to have happened. No warnings or anything.

10. iPegboy macrumors regular

Well as an update from my earlier post, my friend e-mailed me. She is OK and so is her farm. But she said they are worried about disease, which I read on BBC as well. Estimates are over 20,000 dead now. God, I hope that’s wrong.

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

a lot of the governments are admiting to failing to warn residents properly. the reality is that in many of the countries affected, no decent warning system exists in the first place. some of the eyewitness and survivor accounts are simply horrifying.

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

It's amazing, really. I would think that "early warning" systems would be available, given that they know when the earthquake happened and where. They knew there would be a tsunami generated as a result.

Part of it may be that apparently this was the first tsunami recorded in that area for well over a hundred years. Perhaps they've grown complacent.

Add that to the fact that the destruction happens hundreds, thousands even, of miles away on seemingly calm, beautiful days, and you've got a recipe for disaster. With hurricanes you've got significant warning, and at least with Tornados you've got an indication that something may happen simply because the weather is generally so bad.

13. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

14. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

more here

15. falcoboy7 macrumors newbie

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This devastation is just so tragic, the worst in 40 years. This disaster also ties for the 4th worst earthquake in recent history.

1. Chile May 22, 1960 Magnitude 9.5

2. Prince William Sound, Alaska March 28,1964 Magnitude 9.2

3. Andreanof Islands, Alaska March 9, 1957 Magnitude 9.1

4. Kamchatka, Russia Nov. 4, 1952 Magnitude 9

My prayers go out to all the victims. :(

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Anyone know how Singapore faired? I have some friends there visiting and I do not know how concerned I should be for them.

Geographically, it seems that Singapore should've been affected, yet I see no mention of it in the Newspapers.

Thanks for any assistance...I just want to know how much I should worry.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Thank you.

This is a terrible tragedy. Just read about this. Words cannot describe...

19. VincentVega macrumors regular

Doesn't seem to have been - see here: http://newsradio.mediacorpradio.com/headlines001.htm:

20. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

21. Zenith macrumors 6502

Zenith

This is really a terrible disaster. It's even the worst catastrophe that has ever happened to Norwegians internationally as well. Over 500 are missing and 13 are officially dead. But it's nothing compared to the overall number of casualties, which I think will continue to rise for a long time.

22. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yep, disasters, whether naturally occurring or man-made, are international in scope even if they are only local in scale. The BBC reported that over 10.000 Britons were vacationing in the area at the time.

23. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Heard of this tragic event on CBC radio saturday evening (Washington State time). Can't think of any right words that would express my shock at this terrible event.

One year after a 6.6 magnitude earthquake devastated the Iranian city of Bam, killing between 30,000 and 40,000 people.

"An enormous relief effort is on its way," he said, but "many billions of dollars" will be needed to restore lost buildings and livelihoods in the months ahead.

That would make the tsunami the most costly disaster in world history, Egeland said.

"Hundreds of thousands of livelihoods have gone, and most of those who lost their livelihoods are poor people with very little reserves of any kind," Egeland said. (from cbc.ca)

I hope that those who lost their livelihoods are able to rebuild from the aid that reaches those in need before outbreaks of diseases can occure.

24. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I was watching CNN, and it really got my stepfather and I aggravated in how they report it.

"Over 24000 dead. Could this happen in America any time soon?"

I just thought....WTF!?!? Does it always have to relate to America somehow?

And of course, "There are estimates of over 24000 people dead, including 8 Americans." Uh oh, it's the new 9/11. Next, they showed pictures of Osama Bin Laden, as if they were going to tell us that Al Quaida had something to do with it.

I think I'd rather watch Fox News.