asian language film recommendations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gallagb, Oct 20, 2006.

1. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

ok bizzare topic
    i agree

long story short
    i teach @ a school where there are 3 asian students who are 'esl' students

over our various breaks (from school)- the students go home- cept these 3 asians who hang out on campus and we all trade hanging out w/ them

i'm looking for some asian language films

i can get most movies through my public libarary system- or off amazon i guess

2 of the boys are Korean Speakers
    and 1 is Chinese (from Thai-land)

ideally- i'd like a film in Chinese w/ korean subtitels or vice versa
    if need be- english language films w/ both subtitles?- maybe simultaneously?

since i've seen just about everything imaginable posted on MR i figured it won't hurt to try...

and no i'm not just planning on a movie marathon
    but- i think it might be fun for the boys to 'spend some time' back in their own language-
    when i was a foreign exchange student in switzerland i LOVED watching english language films- just to relax and hear something familiar

:)
    thanks

2. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Look North!

As in Canada. ESL means 'English As A Second Language'. Since you list MA try Toronto. If not go west to BC. Very common where I now live & fine by me :)

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Hero.

Jet Li wire-fu. AWESOME in story as well as the visuals.

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Visually stunning, yes, but I thought the movie was really boring. Maybe I need to watch it again, I wasn't really into it.

Once Upon A Time In China, my favortite. Twin Warriors (Tai-Chi Master) is another fav of mine. I don't know if they have korean subs though.

Another is Infernal Affairs, I didn't see it but I saw Departed and that was pretty good.

Why don't you just ask them to bring in some movies that they have?

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

in the mood for love
    or
    chunking express

by

Wong Kar Wai

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Oldboy.

you really don't state what type of movies they'd be interested in. it's like saying "I want some American movies to show these Americans." all genres exist in asian film just as in american. would they like action, drama, comedy et-cetera?

8. abhishek macrumors member

Hey... "Shutter" is an amazing Thai horror flick. Do get them to watch it.

Also "Shinobi" - more on the lines of Crouching Tiger kinds...

Yeah and Wong Kar Wai movies are a MUST!:D

9. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Attack the Gas Station! Best Korean film ever.

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

oldboy, gozu, ichi the killer, tokyo psycho, lots of fun movies for you to choose

11. ~L~ macrumors member

I second Infernal Affairs. Only the first one though, because it's the pick out the three :D

12. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Oh boy, watch out when you recommend a Takashi Miike film, especially those two. :eek: ;) How old are these boys? Those films are pretty explicit to say the least. And they're in Japanese anyway. I like Miike, but I don't know if that's really what the OP wants.

13. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

If it's Chinese you want, why ask for 'Asian'? There are plenty of truly awful Bollywood movies that would keep you and your students entertained, Khalnayak, for example...

I think you will have a hard time finding a Chinese movie with Korean subtitles unless you're in China or Korea. Zhang Yimou are total Chinese govt sellouts these days (Hero, House of Flying Daggers etc), so perhaps not those. I've heard a lot of good things about Green Tea which I think is Zhang Yuan. There are a lot of good Korean action movies - but I can't remember the name of one of them! Check out: http://sensasian.com for titles.