AsianWeek prints 'Why I Hate Blacks' column

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Feb 27, 2007.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/02/27/racist.column.ap/index.html

I don't understand how something like this could have gotten the green light.

2. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Was the article in Chinese/Japanese and thought that no black person would read it?

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Blatant proof of the ignorance in society nowadays.

We need more education on racism and discrimination, the only real place i hear of people getting educated on the topics is at the University level. More education at the primary level and more awareness in our community can help to rid society of such ignorance.

Ed

4. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Damn, thats just ****ed up. :mad:

How the hell could that make it past the editors and everything else, all the way to the printing?

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I think more heads should roll than just the author, you have a good point :)

6. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

What can you do? There's always going to be racism/bias/discrimination ... :(

7. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

You can educate, which i think the educational system does a really poor job of doing. Not to say that the education doesn't start at home, but having more education never hurt anyone.

Ed

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

He also wrote "Why I Hate Asians" so he's really messed up. Neither piece would deserve printing. What's wrong with this newspaper, if you can call it a newspaper?

He deserves to be on his own and forever remembered for being an idiot and an *******.

9. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I agree. Parents are a big influence like this one... -sighs-

10. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

How pathetic. What if the Germans printed a column called "Why I hate asians", thinking no asians would read it because it is in german. Kinda sad to see people be so racist.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

If you go to either China and Japan you'll find that they're not bigoted: They despise all foreigners equally. It wasn't all that long ago that that (IIRC) the Japanese Premier was over here and disparaged Mexicans as a group.

Many causes, of course. The root is "otherness", which is biologically hard-wired into us. Tolerance and respect for the rights of others must be inculcated--as was mentioned above--during one's early years...

'Rat

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Man, I gotta read that paper. I wonder how bad it really is?

jon

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Does it matter? Would it be any better if it had been in Chinese?

I think some of the most racist people I've known are Asian. So many Asians hate on others, the Chinese hating on Koreans and Japanese and vice versa all over the place. :eek: It's painful. And it's silly.

And for the record, Desertrat, China (though I've never been there) surely isn't the only country where the phenomenon of xenophobia occurs.

14. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

The content is the responsibility of the editor .... sack the racist basta*d.

FJ

15. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Yeah...I'm thinking since I know tons of people of African descent that learned German, Spanish and French...that there must be a few that can read Japanese or Chinese.

On the whole "who's more racist" question...I think we all are. I've got a white friend that won't let a person with red hair into their house, Afro-american and Mexican friends that favor lighter skin people of the same ethnicity. Korea friends that can't stand the Vietnamese, and the list goes on...I've got the most ethnically diverse group of bigoted friends.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what's *that* about?

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Pheomelaninphobia?

18. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Ginger kids????

19. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I've been to both and I wouldnt call their respective cultures ethnically diverse. There are a few gaijins walking here and there but mostly its a sea of black hair. They take pride in the fact that everyone is mostly the same. Its part of their national unity.

20. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

21. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I think she had a bad dating experience with a redhead once...now she calls them "firecrotches", so I suspect the banning from her house has to do with fear that they might leave behind a hair or two. She's perfectly fine around them in public situations.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

just not pubic.

zing! :)

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

devilot, there's a certain amount of xenophobia in all of us. That's why I said "hardwired". The "otherness" thing. That is, anybody who's different is going to be looked upon with some amount of suspicion. Skin color, hair style, clothing, whatever. That's built into all of us as a survival mechanism.

It's the level of xenophobia that we notice get into the issue of bigotry. It's more noticable as insularity increases. It's less of a problem in a melting-pot city like Hong Kong, San Francisco or Paris than in, say, the hinterlands of western China or Kansas.

I guess I was lucky. I'd spent a bit over two years in the Far East before I was able to vote; Philippines, Hong Kong, South Korea and Japan. With those years then followed by two years in Paris, the idea of "otherness" pretty much faded out.

'Rat

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Maybe, but hate is certainly taught.