Aside from faster internet speed, what does 3G enable you to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MK25toLife, May 11, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Aside from faster internet speed, what does 3G enable you to do? Is it really worth it and why?

2. macrumors 68020

browse over the cellular network and still receive phone calls.

3. macrumors 6502a

It would allow for video calling, if the new iPhone supports it and has a camera in the right place (assuming it is the next iPhone model your talking about :D)

4. macrumors 68020

I don't care for video calling to be honest, I think it's a waste, I guess it could be potentially cool though, in naughty and nice ways lol.

Anyways

all I want from this 3G iPhone is video recording, GPS, a nice a battery and internet that's noticeably quicker than the current gen iPhone. Those features along with a decent price and the apps store/2.0 software/sdk and I will be set for a long time.

5. macrumors 68030

skubish

burn through your battery faster.

It may also have better reception as my wife's 3G phone is much better at our house than my iPhone. That could just be the phone though.

6. macrumors 604

zap2

Are you talking voice or data?

If its voice, its the phone(assuming you have the same network)...if its data, its the coverage.

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's part that traditional network access is faster and part that you can do things that aren't as feasible on EDGE. Like someone above said they want a video recorder; sending those videos directly to YouTube is a lot more reasonable on HSPA or EV-DO than it is on EDGE. There's no sensible reason to not allow the iTunes store to work OTA. And if not video chatting, then things like video voicemails are more realistic on 3G as well.

Sigh... as has been said many times, this technology is in EDGE; it just has to be configured.

8. macrumors 68020

in that case, it hasn't been configured on o2 and it will still be an advantage with 3G here.