Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zippyfly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Hi guys -- So, after reading a bunch of books and doing homework exercises, I am not sure where's the NEXT STEP...

I was thinking to surf around SourceForge and read code (hopefully, well-commented... or is that a "good luck" kinda thing? :)

Or are there any other suggestions?

Primarily this would be for OS X development, not just generic ObjC; but Foundation-only stuff would be great, doesn't have to be AppKit.

Any *pointers ;-) much appreciated!

TIA!

zippyfly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Thanks both. Good suggestions.

I will check out the usenet groups. Any other recommendations?

(I'm already on the Mac OSX Hints forum, and the Programmer's Symposium on Ars Technica as well as Apple's mailing list -- although the latter seems not very active, unless my email settings are misconfigured).

[Update: I have subscribed to the following:

news:comp.lang.objective-c

and find the content quite interesting/useful; however I was not able to locate any other Mac related developers newsgroup. At least not served by my local ISP's nntp server. But that newsgroup is interesting; there are even recent postings asking about the relevance of ObjC. Funny that it even is asked. Isn't the iPhone (and OS X's growing popularity in general) sufficient reason to quickly get with the program? (pun intended)).]

[Update 2: For others reading this thread, I managed to locate more groups under *mac.programmer* so don't just search under "macintosh"]

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Thanks both. Good suggestions.

I will check out the usenet groups. Any other recommendations?

(I'm already on the Mac OSX Hints forum, and the Programmer's Symposium on Ars Technica as well as Apple's mailing list -- although the latter seems not very active, unless my email settings are misconfigured).

Just to clarify (not sure if you misunderstood or not) Usenet groups are not forums.

They are completely separate to the world wide web. They use there own client (sometimes it is combined with e-mail clients).

I recommend using Unison and the Giganews servers. Although there are free Usenet servers available. Do not use Google groups though, a fair number of people automatically delete posts made through it.

zippyfly

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Just to clarify (not sure if you misunderstood or not) Usenet groups are not forums.

Hi - no worries; I know what you meant but it's good to clarify for other readers of this thread.

I've subscribed via Thunderbird (figured it's the easiest; I did find Unison from a Google search but just decided to use Thunderbird -- unless you tell me Unison has something super special over TB).

My question on the forums is basically what other non-newsgroup Web-based chat forums should I also be aware of (if any).

Again TIA.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Why not write a useful application, and read the documentation as required.

I recommend this as well. You won't learn by just reading code and discussion and such. You need to write code, and a lot of it. There really is no other way to learn the concepts and language (this applies to all programming languages and APIs).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.