Ask me for my password!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MattG, Mar 19, 2007.

1. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

This has been going on for a while now, and I was wondering if anyone else has similar issues. I have my computers set to ask for my password when I wake them up, or after they've been in screen-save mode. It seems like at random, any one of the four Macs I use on a regular basis will just stop asking for the password. I just took my main work Mac out of screen save mode after it had been like that all weekend, and it didn't ask for the password. I repaired permissions, went into security and unchecked/rechecked the "Require password to wake this computer from sleep or screen saver" button, but no luck. Does this happen to anyone else? I would consider the possibility of it just being a bad install of OS X, but it happens on all four of my computers at random?!

2. Queso macrumors G4

I have this set on my PowerBook and it asks every time. Are you running Intel Macs? It could be yet another Intel-Tiger bug that needs working out.

3. MattG thread starter macrumors 68040

MattG

Yes, they're all Intel Macs.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I have a C2D MBP and it asks me for my password when the computer wakes up.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Every once in a while you can catch the screensaver just as it kicks in (I'm pretty sure I've seen this in OS X and I know I have in XP) and avoid passwording back in.

But I've never had the experience that the password on wake / resume from screensave stops working suddenly...

I would also have suggested something like a damaged login keychain (which keychain assistant can fix), but if this is happening randomly on four computers, that's unlikely unless you copied the login keychain from one to the others.

I think next step is: what software do you have installed? Anything that changes basic system behavior, modifies the appearance or function of the OS or Finder, or is persistently running in the background?

6. BugHunter macrumors newbie

Full Screen

The only issue I've had is when running full screen OpenGL applications (such as Warcraft 3) when you wake it up. As far as I can tell it is still asking me for my password, but the OpenGL window is infront of the 'enter your password here window' and you can do a bit of stuff before it goes back to sleep.