Asking a girl to Prom

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AliensAreFuzzy, Mar 9, 2005.

1. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Hey guys.
    I'm going to be asking this girl to Prom. But I want to do something different to ask her. I was just wondering if you guys had any suggestions for something cool to do.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Just ask her out. If you go to great lengths and she turns you down, well... :rolleyes:

3. AliensAreFuzzy thread starter macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Good point. And I might end up doing that in the end, but it'd still be nice to do something a little different

4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

At the same time, you don't want to go to great lengths and have her say yes so she doesn't feel bad about saying no. You want an honest answer, at least, right?

You might try just a flower or something. Not necessarily a rose, as I think those tend to be over-rated, but something a bit more playful and innocent, so she doesn't feel like you're trying to guilt her into it. Daisies work well.

5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Give her some flowers in class or write a poem asking her and cut into puzzle pieces and put a piece in each of her classes. Worked for me and I'm still dating her after 5 years.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

all girls are different, some really like this stuff though, some dont

find some cute way of going about it, its usually the safest way to approch this thing, i dont really have much to offer in terms of suggestions, but keep the cuteness factor in mind

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-AliensAreFuzzy

Be confident.

This may help: what shakes the confidence the most is the prospect of rejection. What's worse is the additonal fear that she'll tell everybody that she turned you down. Right?

Well, set yourself in this story:

You are walking toward her to ask her out, think: "Well, if she turns be down, so what?"

You imaging a friend asking later "Did you really ask her out?"

Your answer is "Yeah, so?" At least you had the cojones.

Thoughts complete, you come back to the present. Having put the prospect of rejection into perspective - that it is really a 'so what' event, it makes asking her out in a confident manner, much easier to pull off.

That help?

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I would just bake her a cake, simple as that.

jon

9. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

And top it with a cherry and some cream pie. Hope she gets the hint. ;)

10. DickArmAndHarT macrumors 6502

lol johns got the right idea...Cant turn down a cake!

11. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Ughhh, flowers, poems, love-notes... What are you guys thinking?!

Just go straight up to her and ask. Don't just go up and say "Come with me to the prom?", just start a small talk, and intentionally take the conversation to the prom, then basically TELL her to go with you. Like, don't do this: "Can you please go to the prom with me?", DO this: "hey, I'm going to the prom, why not join me." or something like that. You'll probably think up of a better line than that, but the point is, don't plead for her to come with you. Tell her to. If she says no, oh well. Move on. Simple as that.

And think about it... you're asking a Mac-related forum. We're those guys who DIDN'T go to the prom. I mean, we're all busy playing Murder House on BBS!

:D

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

14. eleveneastgate macrumors 6502

C'mon... that didn't work for Pedro (Napoleon Dynamite), it's not gonna work now.

Dude... just ask her. :D

AND why go through all that trouble when you still gotta pay for pictures, tux, flowers, car rental, etc.

Good Luck!

15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

nerdiest joke ever.
    i hope

16. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Walk up to her and say: Hello baby, lets ****. Tell her Pigpen said it was OK.

Do what I say and you are guaranteed a response.

17. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Post a pic of this potential prom date.

We'll let you know if you should pursue your course of action or not.

18. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ah, prom....

If I could go back a couple of decades and ask Mary Zetterberg to the prom (my biggest regret in high school was not asking her), I wouldn't do it in any of the myriad ways I imagined back then.

Dress decently, be clean, put your best foot forward without going outside your "image", and talk to her. Tell her that you'd be really honored to go to the prom with her, and ask her if she'd like to go with you. Simple. Direct.

Of course, be confident, smile, be personable - but no need to do anything "exotic".

What I've found is that the way you ask a girl out - if she already knows you, as presumably this one does - doesn't really matter, as long as you don't make an idiot of yourself. She either likes you enough to go with you or she doesn't. If she does, she'll appreciate it if you're confident and don't hide behind a gimmick - and she'll say yes. She would have said yes to a gimmicky question, too, as long as it wasn't too extraordinarily goofy, but she'd prefer that you ask normally.

She already knows if she wants to go with you. Really. Just ask and find out.

20. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

I've been meaning to do this for a while.....I should get this whole prom thing going. ;) ;)

P.S. Thanks for the tips...I guess.

21. AliensAreFuzzy thread starter macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys. I'm going to get some advice from some other girls that know her. Maybe get an idea from them. I'll let you guys know how this all pans out.

22. AliensAreFuzzy thread starter macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Yeah, all the girls in my gym class were like: "Oh my god. Prom is only a month away!" I was kinda like, uh, it's still a month, but then I realized I should probably get working on it.

23. AliensAreFuzzy thread starter macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Well, I don't know if she'd appreciate that...
    Edit: Sorry for the string of posts

24. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Don't post a pic. If you like her, ask her. Don't wait to see what we yahoos think of the way she looks in a picture.

25. Edot macrumors 6502

:eek: I did the same thing! Except each piece was a clue as to what was going to happen that day. I think it was for V-day. I also have been dating her for 4.5 years!! :eek: Crazy coincidence!