ASP Based forum - which is best

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by edesignuk, May 22, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hi all,

I am looking at creating a IT Knowledge Base at my workplace on their intranet, I want to do this in the form of a forum where everyone can post there quick fixes, know issues etc. The web servers on our intranet are all M$ IIS4/5 and so ASP is the only way to go.
    Do any of you guys know of any really good (FREE) ASP based forums that offer the same features as this (PHP based) forum?

Many thanks,

2. OSeXy! macrumors regular

Naive question: Couldn't you just install PHP (it's a free download) on your server and run vBulletin Lite?

3. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I do not have control of the IIS Web Servers, these are Morgan Stanley globally mirrored web servers, so no, I cannot just install PHP as these are heavily managed and monitored servers that you cannot just install whatever you want on.

4. OSeXy! macrumors regular

But your project sounds like a good idea -- shows the 'right' kind of initiative. If you explain it to someone concerned with (internal) cash flow at Morgan Stanley, and demonstrate how much time it will save employees (and how it won't be used as a chat site, like macrumors), perhaps you can even get them to buy a non-freeware ASP forum.

Sorry I don't know of any... Good Luck!

EDIT>

actually, try here:

http://www.freezingcold.com/aspboard.asp

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If your company has FileMaker Pro (version 5.x) I would suggest setting it up that way. You could then share it out, and possibly access it via the web (if not the LAN/WAN). We have a FMP server in Needham, MA (where I work) that can be accessed by anyone within our companies intranet. We put all the FMP databases up there, set as multi-user, and allow people to access them that way. The FMP server is actually an iMac running OS 9.x with the server version of FMP 5.x. It is very easy to set up as well. Something to consider.

Otherwise, have someone that can do web page creation set it up for you as a page. Someone inside your company should be able to do that, or the people hosting the site should.

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Thanks guys but I really do need a forum that is only ASP.
    You have no idea how anal Morgans are with their 'infrastructure', they will not install any new components on the IIS Servers.
    Does anyone else have any ideas for a good ASP forum?

Thanks,