Aspyr Releases DOOM 3 Universal Binary and PowerPC update

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 20, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Games
    Link: Aspyr Releases DOOM 3 Universal Binary and PowerPC update
    Description:: Aspyr Media has released the eagerly-anticipated Universal Binary patch for DOOM 3. The new patch, available for download from Macgamefiles.com, also includes improved performance on PowerPC Macs with ATi graphics cards.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors 68030

I don't have Doom 3 for my Mac, but I do know this will make many Mac gamers happy. Someone post some test results please! :)

3. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'll just copy from the IMG forums because I'm lazy :rolleyes:

4. macrumors 68030

Cool, thanks! Not bad fps...

5. macrumors G5

nagromme

I think this will be the first game I get when I get an Intel Mac. Along with the Into Cerberon mod that puts Descent into the Doom 3 engine!

[​IMG]
    LOTS more pics here:
    http://mods.moddb.com/6094/image-gallery/
    The different cannons and weapons actually appear on your ship's wings when in use! Sounds like a really cool extension of the classic Descent experience. AND yes, the mod has a Mac installer.

Then I expect to buy Quake 4 and UT 2007. I want to make sure my first Intel Mac is fully productive :)

PS, this Doom 3 patch is an update that makes the PPC version faster, AND adds native Intel support--all in 12 MB. So much for fears of Universal Binaries eating all your HD space!

6. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I would love to see some benchmarks from Linux funning on the Intel iMacs with the Linux build of Doom 3... cool now that it's possible.

7. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's only the .app itself (and maybe a few other files) that need recompiling. All the graphics, sounds etc. are platform-independent, and they're the things that gobble all the space.

8. macrumors G5

nagromme

Yep. My UT2004.app is 17 GB (after adding 3rd-party maps/mods). But hidden within is the executable: just 17 MB.

9. macrumors G5

nagromme

Speed results discussed here by Glenda Adams:

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=12914

Basically, the increase on PowerPC is due to better drivers from ATI. The patch enables a function that wasn't available before: it allows the game to work on the next frame ahead of time.