Aspyr take the piss

Discussion in 'Games' started by hardon, Jun 13, 2004.

1. hardon macrumors regular

Where is the update for COD??

you would have thought they had learned from the Wolfenstein update experience.. 3 Years on we still wait for a poxy update! (RTCW 1.4 is still a Beta)

This is not on, Yea sure there are more impotant threads, and its just a game, but i feel that aspyr spit a game out, and could not care less that we mac suckers spend 50 bux/quid on a game and have what, ? 15 game servers to play on.

get yer act together aspyr, no wonder mac gamers are fed up

p.s dont want to hear about (if you want to play games get a PC) it!! :mad:

2. ~MiB~ macrumors newbie

aye, where's 1.4??

Not to mension none of the servers on gameranger seem to be showing up.

3. Oirectine macrumors regular

Oirectine

As much as I try, I can't be mad at the company that is going to bring Knights of the Old Republic to my Mac... Oh the glory! I just hope it'll run decent enough on my 1 GHz PowerBook (the sys requirements say 1 GHz is the minimum).

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't think anything is going to happen that quickly. I still haven't seen fixes for Star Trek: Elite Force Expansion Pack, which is something like two years old now. I think they're mostly concerned about getting the games out, not getting them working right.

5. hardon thread starter macrumors regular

and that excuses them from their obligations?

i just hope Knight of the republic requires no updates!!! Be warned

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Have any of you (repeatedly) attempted to contact Aspyr to let them know these updates are important to you?

7. hardon thread starter macrumors regular

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm not excusing them from anything. The first thing I got from their support department was to not send attachments to them. I believe that he attempted humour but it didn't come translate well, considering his demands, and I explained that I was a customer, not a servant. I did not hear from them again. :(

10. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

This really sucks. I want to say "I'm not going to buy a mac game until they update it to match the PC version..." But if you don't buy mac games, they won't port any more of them... so you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't. :( At least Macsoft has been pretty on top of things with UT.

11. cubist macrumors 68020

I think there you have the right idea. We should support vendors who do a good job, and make sure that vendors who don't know that we're not pleased.

12. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I'm pretty happy with Aspyr.
    I love all those games they are shipping. Without Aspyr, Mac gaming would be a total loss!
    I bet their priority, as mentioned before, is to release as many game as soon as possible. Updating them (aka getting them up to date with the PC counterparts) is a little less important to them.

I have read that they are working on the COD 1.4 patch.... Hope it'll come quickly.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No, that's been Epic Games and Ryan Gordon.

MacSoft hasn't even bothered to post the problem with the installer, which I encountered, that Ryan sent them something like two months ago.

14. PowermacG5 macrumors regular

PowermacG5

I am also in the same boat

i have wrote a lot of email and all they say is they are working on it and they cant give us an exact date. I guess i need to forget about it for a while.. i hope i am still interested then.

15. applekid macrumors 68020

Is this what you need for RTCW? http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=6892

They didn't make a direct fix for it, but at least there sorta is one.

Aspyr's Internal Development Team has come to a point where it can get all sorts of projects to port, but is just under-staffed. Have you looked at their project status page? Some of those games have been there since November of last year! At least they now really have to work on those beta and alpha games since most are at GM or FC. But, yes Aspyr has been lagging lately. They need to hire some good Mac game developers, but with our small marketshare, I think help will be hard to come by. It would be more profitable to release games than patches, money-wise. To be honest, I'm amazed so many Mac game companies have stayed afloat, but that might be contributed by how they try to sell games fast and slow down with the patches.

RTCW and Star Trek were ports done by Westlake, I believe, so Aspyr doesn't have a much of hand in the patches, if that's correct.

But since CoD is one of those important games, I'm sure a patch isn't too far off. It's been with the original publishers for a while, and I think they were waiting for the OK.

Hopefully we'll hear about some new employees at Aspyr. They could use some help.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Aspyr did not have a development staff at the time when STV: EF was created but they are the contact for support. Simply not (intending to) proceed because you didn't develop the product is silly, at best. Westlake should be responsible for patches, but won't likely start working on patches when they don't know that there's a problem because they haven't been contacted by the publisher.