Aspyr to demo Doom 3 at Houston apple store

Discussion in 'Games' started by Ringo, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

If anyone can attend it and share the result here i would be please :)

2. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

ya and bring back benchmarks:)

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I just want to download a demo... just one level would keep me happy.

4. A Mac Gamer macrumors member

Same here man, can't wait for a demo to be released. My uncle pre-ordered it as a Christmas present, now I'm starting to go crazy waiting for it!

5. a2daj macrumors member

Don't rely on vendor release dates. Glenda (head of Mac and PC development at Aspyr) said Doom 3 will ship "when it's done."

6. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, I prefer to see a good port of the game, and wait a little more, rather than see an unfinished Doom 3 game on the mac.

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

wait, is it in houston or austin? edit: nevermind, busy that night

8. Xenious macrumors 6502a

You got me all excited with the subject line then let down with the fact that it is Austin and NOT Houston. :( waaaaaaaa. hahaha

9. Ringo thread starter macrumors regular

Ringo

:( I'm really sorry... i checked that really late and i must have been kind od tired and mispelled the city name...

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Let's hope than by done Glenda means "well optimized and stable".

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The trailer at http://www.apple.com/games Looks good. It could be lifted from the Mac version because i dont remember seeing that version on the PC side. They used different and better scenes and angles then the early PC trailers.

12. woxel1 macrumors member

No, I believe that was a note-for-note PC trailer with a "Mac" watermark in the corner (nothing to see here, move along...).

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I have already ordered it....

I just gotta know how it will look and perform compared to my PC version.

Mac:
    Dual 1.8 GHz G5
    2.0 GB RAM
    nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra

PC:
    3.6 GHz Pentium 4
    1.5 GB RAM
    ATi Radeon X800 XT

BTW tnx for the link to the Apple.com game trailers, Don't Hurt Me. I keep forgetting to take a look at Apple's site for these trailers. Seeing this site does get my hopes up that Apple does care about gaming....

Come to think of it:
    I remember Steve talking about games during MacWorld New York 1998. (The MacWorld where the 56k modem was introduced in the original iMac, and the roadmap for Mac OS 8 and 9, Rhapsody and Mac OS X)

Steve said: "Somehow the previous senior management didn't care about games. But we do. we love games!"

Then went on to mention the Tombe Raider series, some kids games etc. Even a pic of the original Unreal game CD....
    Hardly a year later: OpenGL 1.0... and... Quake 3.

So far for a strole down memory lane ;)
    But it does inspire.

14. benpatient macrumors 68000

Doom 3 for XBox and Doom 3 PC expansion pack are officially due out the first week of April according to Activision (as of today).

Still no release date on the Mac version.

Have you guys seen the uber-crappy screenshots of D3 on the xbox? They seem to have turned off the shadows in the engine, except maybe on the characters. And the textures have been reduced from 512x512 or 256x256 to what looks like 64x64 in most of the shots...sometimes it's even obviously lower than that. I'm sure it will look OK on a blurry TV screen, and I'm sure it will look better when it is moving, but it looks like...well...crap.

15. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

What were you really expecting from 5 year old computer hardware running a game that barely runs on top of the line hardare today?

Edit: Not everyone has $1500 to spend on computer hardware. There are some people out there that would like to play the game that don't have that sort of income. I'd rather play a toned down version of the game than not play it at all.

16. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I normally would agree with you... but we're talking Doom 3 here.
    IMHO this game isn't fun, but looks gr8! So, if the looks were gone.... ;)

17. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Maybe the co-op for xbox will be fun, otherwise... meh.. I got bored pretty quick... I played it at my friends house, not very interesting, AI was dumb as a rock.

18. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Just because you dislike the game doesn't mean that everyone feels the same way. Perhaps there are some folks out that that actually like the game, y'know?

I dislike Half-Life 2, you don't see me ********ting all over it do you?

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I don't dislike the game. I think I expressed myself wrongly here...

I said "IMHO this game isn't fun, but looks gr8"
    What I meant is that it is (even) more good looking than it is fun. And I find it super good looking. Worth the purchase!
    Also meaning that if Doom 3 didn't look so great, I wouldn't buy it.

But as you have read, I have ordered it. So I can't dislike it that much! :)

Sorry about misleading you there....

20. benpatient macrumors 68000

i would give the graphics on doom 3 a 9 or so....if it weren't so dark all the time it might have earned a 10.

the gameplay? (coming from someone who played doom 2 for 6 years and worked on a singleplayer mod for it up until 1997) I'd give it a nice healthy 6 of 10.

It does a convincing job with the combat, but the total lack of variation (until the Hell level, which is quite cool) through-out makes it one of the most boring single player games I've experienced in the last couple of years. Somehow Quake 2 was more fun.

I had very high hopes for Doom 3 AND HL2.

only one of the games delivered on the promises, in my opinion.

How many GOTY awards has Doom 3 racked up?

21. oingoboingo macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Oh yeah. Great graphics, but it's an average game at best. Out of 3 PC-using friends who bought Doom3 when it was released, all 3 of them have subsequently had me sell their copies for them on eBay. One of my friends didn't even bother to finish the game before selling it as he was so bored with it.

That said, I'm still going to buy it :D I'm more interested in using it as a benchmarking tool on my G5 than as a game, and when I get bored of running benchmarks I'll just be selling my 4th copy of Doom3 on eBay to some other sucka :)

22. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Anybody seen a movie or screenshots from the Austin demo??

23. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    yeah i'm really interested in hearing about how the demo went. i feel really left out since i'm one of the only people i know who actually enjoyed the game and already pre-ordered the expansion. :rolleyes:

24. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I just want it to be released to check out some benchmarks. I mean, those done by barefeats recently with the G5 getting killed in 3D graphics stuff in everything except Quake 3 was a bit shocking.. could Doom 3 be made well enough for Mac to get better performance than on the PC?