'Assassin's Creed Identity' Released on iOS Worldwide

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 25, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ubisoft yesterday released Assassin's Creed Identity for iPhone and iPad worldwide, following news of its highly anticipated official launch earlier this month.

The popular action role-playing game lets you create, customize, and play as Assassins during the Italian Renaissance, with story missions and quests set in the Coliseum, Florence, and other key locations of the era. The game features three classes of assassin, open sandbox levels, and various customization options.

And in a first for the franchise on iOS, Identity also allows full freedom of movement, which means players can run, jump and climb their way around the game world as they take on quests and explore various locations.

[​IMG]

While the Assassin's Creed brand has been on mobile in several iterations before, Identity is the first "true" Assassin's Creed mobile game to mimic the play style of the popular console and PC games.

However, it has had something of a stuttered release until now, initially appearing in the New Zealand and Australian App Stores in September 2014 before disappearing last month. MacRumors' sister site TouchArcade explains:

Optimized for iPhone 5, iPad 3 and newer devices running iOS 7.0 or later, Assassin's Creed: Identity is available on the App Store for $4.99.

You can learn more about Assassin's Creed and other iOS games at TouchArcade.

Article Link: 'Assassin's Creed Identity' Released on iOS Worldwide

2. soupcan
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Well, since it's made by Ubisoft I expect 2 things. 1: it's full of bugs, and 2: ALL THE MICROTRANSACTIONS.

3. Carlanga
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

Carlanga

4. MartinAppleGuy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I played a good portion of the game when it was in beta on the soft launch. I deleted it when it was free; defiantly not paying 4.99 for it lol

5. DavidAndy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

DavidAndy

6. zahuh
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Yes. Not to be confused by iPad Air 3 coming out soon.

7. Jsameds
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

8. ghost187
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

ghost187

I wonder if games like these make money on mobile. I'm actually disappointed 4.99 -19.99 games and apps do so poorly. Just goes to show you the percentage of misers out there. I heard the top paid app only sells about 15,000 a day on average with about a billion iOS devices out there. Than you see people complaining about micro transactions.

9. Iconoclysm
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Iconoclysm

This game doesn't appear to be rushed, Ubisoft isn't necessarily known for bugs...rushed games are. And ehh, Ubi isn't that bad with the microtransactions either.

10. RiddlaBronc
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

RiddlaBronc

Ive been a fan of the series since the beginning even playing the psp titles. After being massively being let down with the bugs of Black flag and then the disappointment that was Unity. I skipped on Syndicate and will definitely skip this ios versiom as well.

The story went downhill after the last Ezio game.

11. hlfway2anywhere
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Is it on appletv? I have no interest in a handheld version.

12. 69Mustang
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

69Mustang

Bugs. It's the reason I have learned to not purchase release month games. 2nd quarter or later. Black Flag was great after the fixes. Unity... let's pretend that game didn't happen. Syndicate is the apology for Unity. It's pretty darn good.

13. Lostanddamned
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Perhaps you played a different Assassins Creed Unity to everyone else.

14. 4jasontv
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

When companies go "MMM" they turn any into many.

15. Cuban Missles
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

Cuban Missles

Anyone that has followed my rants on this forum (probably no one ;)) knows that I have been saying for a while that iOS on the iPad and ATV would slowly take over the dedicated console. This announcement is yet another point of proof in the slow nell march.

To be clear, Consoles, like PCs will have a place for specific use cases. However, more and more people will continue to migrate to these platforms - I already have because the types of games I play and the amount of time I spend playing does not justify a dedicated console. As a matter of fact, I mostly play when traveling (which is more often than I would like), which automatically eliminates the console. I do think that @ghost187 has a point in that high quality games are still struggling to figure out which business model works. The freemiums are all the rage, but hopefully that will settle down, and quality games will come out at a fixed price. They will still be cheaper than console games I suspect.

16. sinsin07
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

You're dreaming.
    Without the console/PC game sales games like Assassin, GTA etc. would never be able to see the light of day on mobile or Apple TV.
    And then even after the port, the experience may not be the same.
    Take a look a the thread here in the Apple TV forum on Disney Infinity for example.

17. DaveMcM76
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Yeah having played all of the Assassins Creed console series so far Unity is the only one that I lost all enthusiasm for and gave up playing well before completion (around the mid 30% complete if I remember... not looked at it for months).

I'm currently about 65% complete in Syndicate and it has been excellent so far, so fingers crossed Identity is more along Syndicate lines than Unity.

18. 69Mustang
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

69Mustang

Yeah, you have been saying this for a while. It's not gonna happen though. Both mobile and console/PC platforms will co-exist nicely. They serve two different desires: Long play and brief interaction. To ghost187's point, mobile doesn't give a good long play experience. That's why games like this don't do well (relatively speaking) on mobile. Gamers in general aren't going to leave the long play experience for a mobile one. They don't have to do it. They can play mobile too. Our opinion differs greatly on which platform is going to have a specific use case. Mobile is the more limited platform imo. It's almost entirely time restrictive game play; brief interactions. Console/PC has a ton of both. They also have the added benefit of being entertainment hubs. The ATV is getting there, but it's a Far Cry <--see what I did there?-- from Console/PC capability. Speaking fairly, you're primarily a mobile gamer. Your view of Console/PC gaming is probably colored by that.

19. Cuban Missles
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

Cuban Missles

I do dream a lot :)

Again, please note I did not say consoles were going away completely. I just said they will less mainstream than they are now - eventually becoming niche products for the hardcore. The mainstream is moving to iOS on the iPad and Apple TV (I also begrudgingly also see it moving to Android's solution ;)).
    --- Post Merged, Feb 25, 2016 ---
    I know we have not agreed on this point many times, but I see in your response a window of opportunity (oh, I hate that pun). I tend to lump ATV and iOS in the same space. however, I will go with your comments that suggest you do not. ATV is getting there -- that is my point. It will never be as good as a dedicated console, but for everyone but the hardcore gamer, it just needs to get close enough, and that is not far away. with mFi controllers improving and even the iphone as a controller improving, i think we are not far away at all.

You and I may also agree in part, because I do see the mainstream moving to what you are calling the brief interaction and the world of long play games is shrinking in terms of users. This is what I am calling the hardcore that need a console -- those that need total immersion and real long play with amazing graphics.

As the ATV and the iPad improve, the number of people that require a dedicated console versus being just fine with the iPad/ATV is going to shrink. It already is...

20. SgtPepper12
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

SgtPepper12

21. shyam09
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

shyam09

22. baller1308
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

We've been spoiled on mobile. On consoles and PC's it is usually the norm for games to be $60. But mobile is flooded with free/$.99 games that anything more than that is looked as expensive.

23. 69Mustang
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

69Mustang

Unity reminded me of Forza 5 in the sense that it was a huuuuuge disappointment. Like you, I quit around 30-35%. I literally forced myself to complete the main story. Syndicate makes up for unity (doesn't deserve a capital u) like FM6 makes up for Forza 5. My fingers are crossed for Identity as well.

OT: With these types of games consuming an inordinate amount of time (side missions & exploring) it's hard for me to see the appeal on mobile.

24. 2010mini
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

25. macduke
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

macduke

I love Assasin's Creed, but haven't had time to play through all of the latest ones. I wish this was priced higher. If it really is more of an open world with the same sort of mechanics, then they should be pricing in the $10-20 range as a minimum.

I wish Apple would help these developers get AAA titles off the ground with a premium gaming section of the app store. Have a minimum price floor with minimum requirements (Apple TV and gamepad support come to mind) and promote the heck out of it—not only within the store itself, but in commercials. Perhaps it could even be curated, with promotional incentives for games that take advantage of new iOS or hardware features—such as 3D Touch. There should also be restrictions, or at least limitations on IAP for these titles. For instance, no micro transactions, but you could buy DLC packs that expand the game in significant ways.

You see, this whole thing is like the opposite of the way Xbox Arcade works. Instead of having a separate area for the cheap games, have a separate area for the premium games. Apple at least needs to start that way because the App Store started backwards compared to consoles—it started with the little cheap indie games instead of the big, expensive AAA games. Both have their place on both types of systems. It would also help legitimize the Apple TV as a gaming console. Furthermore, the A series of chips are becoming legitimately powerful. It won't be long before they can compete with current generation consoles in raw graphics performance. They're catching up faster than new consoles are being made.

Apple should also develop their own first party controller and offer it as a bundle option with the Apple TV. Apple has been all about accessories lately, and this is very much needed. To take things even further, they could have a gaming edition of the Apple TV. For $249 you get 64GB storage, first party controller, and faster A9X chip with 4GB of RAM. That machine could even support 4K video for all the people who think they can see a difference sitting 10 feet away from their 60" display because they clearly have much better than 20/20 superhuman vision. Anyway, I'd definitely pick that beast up, but they would need their premium game store to make it successful.