Assault on Kansas public schools

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jan 7, 2014.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014

macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The Koch brothers affiliates have been busy in Kansas:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/08/opinion/whats-the-matter-with-kansas-schools.html?ref=opinion

[Edit: "Koch brothers" removed from title because the Kochs are not mentioned directly in the quoted op-ed.]

2. macrumors 6502a

stroked

3. macrumors 603

Technarchy

What exactly does this have to do with the Koch Brothers?

4. macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Hopefully the parents win the appeal, I was just getting out of high school when major cuts were going in, and being in a rural area we were already operating on a shoestring budget with schools closing left and right.

How Brownback can actively fight against education funding and stay elected is a mystery, what a piece of ****.

5. macrumors G3

Huntn

It's all about the wasteful things government spends it's money on. From the conservative perspective, education appears to be one of those things, at least one of those easy targets that we should not be spending our my tax dollars on. This is right up the Koch Brother's alley.

6. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Even so, as the Koch brothers are specified in the thread title, it would be nice to see them referenced in some way in the links provided.

Otherwise the OP is just editorializing. ;)

7. macrumors G3

Huntn

True... but it is ok to speculate, if you say that, like I did in so many words. ;)

8. macrumors 6502

The problem is that it's not just the republicans. This latest thing is but in my state there was a democrat that ran on a platform of no educational cuts and educational cuts were the very first thing she did. Across the board. Not just lower ed. Cut college and University money also. Later on she revered the cuts to universities like U of M and Michigan State but left all the cuts for lower ed. And steadily cut each year after that. Now there is a republican in and he is still cutting the funding. It's killing our schools.

9. macrumors G3

Huntn

The obvious solution is to round up a new batch of politicians. Sadly they reflect the populace who puts then into decision making positions. I don't have a solution for that. :(:(

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

My apologies. I thought everyone knew how active the Koch-brothers-funded political organizations have been in Kansas in recent years.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/steve-morris-kansas-senate-koch-brothers_n_1757928.html

My apologies; the connection appears to be "coincidental" as far as the op-ed is concerned, which is about the deliberate destruction of the public school system in Kansas by its duly-elected governor and legislature. That is the beauty of organizations like "Americans for Prosperity".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_activities_of_the_Koch_brothers

11. macrumors G3

NT1440

If anyone wants further info into this, while the movie is a few years old it does a lot to show how this momentum came into place here. Plenty on Koch's funding of these destructive policies as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1323977/

America it really is time to wake up. Your corporations control you at almost every level whether you care to look into it or not.

12. macrumors 68020

Ironic isn't it? Yet they (conservatives) would be among the first to claim that education is what's needed to bring an individual out of poverty. How can they be for something they claim to be against?

How is it that you're a conservative and it sounds like you're defending public schools? Doesn't that go against conservative ideology?

13. macrumors G3

Huntn

Speaking out of both sides of mouth? Sure, it's important as long as I don't have to pay for it! :p

14. macrumors 68020

You know, I tried to speak out of both sides of my mouth at the same time and I found it nearly impossible to do. :p

You know, this reminds me of that one friend we all have that always seems to stay silent when the check came after the meal and everyone else at the table is coughing up a few more dollars to cover that person's meal. Talk about a free ride.

15. macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

Governor Granholm raised K-12 funding per student in '06. You're not very good with context so let me add the context.

"To be fair, Granholm often had little choice when cutting education funding. State law required her to order public education cuts when school aid revenues fell below projections, and she had to cut billions from all facets of state spending as Michigan slogged through a decade of economic hardship.

"A cut to education is a cut to the heart — to this heart," Granholm said in her first State of the State address. She was referring to a $127 million cut to public school spending she had to make within weeks of taking office in 2003.

Still, Granholm barely held the line on public education funding over her tenure, taking inflation into account. School districts saw increases in per-student payments only four of the eight years she was in office, while absorbing cuts in three years and staying even in one."

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2010/12/cuts_to_education_hurt_gov_jen.html

Governor Granholm was handed a ****** sandwich and she did a pretty good job trying to rebuild the state while carrying a broke Detroit and dwindling population. For a lawyer shes a pretty good lady

16. macrumors G3

Huntn

Thanks for this clarifying rebuttal. Most interesting how conservatives frame the world and it's problems.

17. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Words are tools for some, weapons for others.

18. macrumors 6502

Funny how you stopped a little short in your quote...

It also said

And it said she cut funding to schools for 4 of her 8 years.

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2009/11/mich-n02.html

I live it. I saw what she did to the schools.

http://www.heraldpalladium.com/scho...cle_d954891b-137a-5e68-a613-62b7b2358ba5.html

19. macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

That's why I posted the link so people could read and decide for them selves bit at least I put things in context and actually spell thing out and support what I say. The worst economic crisis happened while see was in office and she still some how managed to have some real growth. She was also overwhelmingly re-elected in 06 which I also left out. You're never going to like her so my post was more for posterity and to demonstrate you lack of context

20. macrumors G3

Huntn

Do you think taxes should be raised to pay for school or would you go with the GOP's favored offset method? And what would you take money from to pay for it? After all, education is a social program.

21. macrumors 6502

Yer kidding right? There are a thousand things that could be cut that would effect far fewer people and have less of an impact on society.

But to sort of answer the question, I have voted yes for the millage proposal the last 3 times they have tried. Unfortunately, it has been shot down every time. What ever happened to the lottery money being added to help schools? :(

22. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    In my school district, 90% of the entire school budget goes to pay administration costs (salaries and benefits). I've checked out the budgets of other school districts in my state (Michigan) and the numbers are about the same.

That sure doesn't leave much for the students and I'm opposed to any increase in my taxes to pay higher salaries to already well-paid teachers ($74 to $85K).

Now, if that percentage could be reversed and 90% could benefit the students and 10% administration, I'd have a different viewpoint.

23. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I'd be interested in seeing the source for those numbers.

Thanks...

24. macrumors 6502

I would challenge that 90% goes for salary and benefits. Source that please.

I would like to know what you consider "administrative and benefits".

25. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    http://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/18684

----------

Look into your own school district budget. It's public record and can be found online. Administrative and benefits consists of salaries and associated benefits.

I was just as amazed as you when I first saw the numbers.