Asscroft busts Tommy Chong

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by peter2002, Feb 25, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

Saying high times are over for those who sell pipes and bongs favored by pot smokers, federal agents raided more than 100 homes and businesses throughout the nation Monday, including a glass-pipe company owned by actor- comedian Tommy Chong of Cheech and Chong fame.

Chong -- a man whose name is virtually synonymous with recreational marijuana use -- was not among those indicted, and he was not arrested during Monday's raids.

But the 64-year-old actor's Chong Glass company in Los Angeles was cleared of merchandise. A separate search of Chong's Pacific Palisades home uncovered a small amount of marijuana, according to a federal law-enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030225/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/drug_paraphernalia_9
    ______

This is just a PR stunt by the FBI (Federal Bureau of Idiots). The real drug problem in the USA isn't illegal drugs, it is the legal ones. But nothing is done because the government is partners in crime by taking political donations and taxes. Take for instance the cig taxes. 500,000 people die a year from cigs. A lot more than the terrorists are killing. But the gov. takes tax money and use it to build roads and teach stupid brats in failing schools, not to help the ones dieing from cigs.

50,000+ die a year from alcohol related crashes. A lot more than Osama has killed, but the government just turns the other way and takes all the sin taxes.

How many die from pot a year? Not one ever, and that is a fact.

Plus, the Feds will never get a conviction for this. California jurys are notoriously liberal on the pot issue. This is just a waste of time and tax money better spent elsewhere. Plus, glass pipes aren't illegal. You can't sue because of an illegal purpose. That would be liking making guns illegal because you might shoot someone or making lighters illegal because you might light a joint.

Pete :rolleyes:

2. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Get real pete, get some real sense. Quit posting flame bate! The law is the law. What just because there is a war on terror going on, we have to stop enforcing all the other laws? Or does being famous change the rules by which you have to play? THE LAW IS THE LAW!

Man, sometimes you act like the potato head!

3. macrumors 604

iJon

dont worry about him, he is always posting stuff like this. no one really cares. the goverment has caught many terrorists so far. go watch headline news and stuff.

iJon

4. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Don't worry about me, or don't worry about him?

5. macrumors 604

iJon

haha pete, not you.

iJon

6. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Yea, his threads are really starting to get out of line a bit. It is almost boarding on spam in my opinion. Some of them are entertaining, but this is getting unreal.

7. macrumors member

Well I guess the fact the marijuana is illegal didn't occur to you. Or that it's the FBI's job and Ash crofts job to enforce the law. Of course good ol' pete won't respond, he just posts threads and then leaves. Flamebaiter.

8. macrumors member

I think the problem is not that marijuana is illegal, it is that the pipes are not. Ashcroft cleared out Tommy Chong's factory, a factory that was a legal business with real business licenses that have been approved by the federal government.

Just because the pipes can be used with an illegal substance does not make them illegal by association. The pipes can also be used in a purely legal fashion.

9. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I don't know about the law there, but here. Yep, they could Paraphenalia is illegal in most states.

10. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I totally agree with you. And I do think that there are more important things that the FBI should be doing besides busting people for small amount of marijuana. Why not at least focus on a real drug. What the hell did marijuana ever do to anyone?

11. macrumors member

Soma_Addict,

Not being stupid enough to smoke the crap myself, I have never bothered to familarize myself with the laws on this, but the linked story clear indicates that the pipes are not, in fact, legal.

It seems a little odd to have laws against little pieces of glass, but, if you don't like the law, call your representatives and have it changed.

12. macrumors member

Not so in California. As long as the item is sold under the advertisment that it is for tobacco use only then it is ok. In fact if the customer suggests that it is for anything else or even calls it a bong then the store is not supposed to sell the item. A close friend of mine used to work in a head shop/comic store and he said that the head shop people(my friend worked in the comic book shop part of the store) would always refuse to sell the water pipes to people who called it a bong or said that they were going to use it for other purposes.

The fundamental issue is that the government, whether federal or state, has given people the permission to do business and then arrest them for doing it successfully.

Here are some quotes from the article:

"We've done everything the right way, and the government is saying there is no right way." - Tommy Chong's publicist Brandie Knight.

"Why after seven years in business does this happen? Why not just approach us?" said Fern Thomas, 29, a bookkeeper for 101 North Glass Inc. in Arcata, Humboldt County, which sells blown-glass pipes and other products to resellers.

13. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

14. macrumors member

I have never smoked it either, but when you live in San Francisco then you atleast know someone who does or have some sort of knowledge on the subject.

the glass pipes are not illegal. you can go to meditereanian restuarants and smoke hookah's with flavored tobacco. the glass pipes are illegal when they are sold as drug paraphernalia, but if the store owners and such are selling it only to customers who use it only with tobacco or say that they will then the store owners are not breaking the law. the pipes are not illegal drug paraphernalia if they are being used legally.

15. macrumors 65816

Taft

YOU get real!

There are more issues here than the fact that pot is illegal. Some other's here have raised very good points about the absurdity of paraphenalia laws and the problems this raid, so I won't go into it. And I'll side step the issue of the war on drugs, that belongs in a thread to itself (though, no matter how many statistics and pieces of evidence I produce, people always piss on my parade with the "drugs are bad" tagline).

What I will go into is this justice department's constant want to push the limits of state's rights and civil rights. A perfect example is their prosecution and persecution of state sanctioned medicinal marijuana users in California. They have arrested and successfully prosecuted several legal participants in Cali's medicinal marijuana laws by imposing federal laws on them and not allowing evidence of medicinal marijuana affiliation into the trial. They recently convicting one man who was sanctioned by a city to sell medicinal marijuana. He could go to prison.

When a law enforcement office is so bent on prosecuting law abiding citizens, I start to question their motivations and whether they act in the best interests of the people. I think this Justice Department's track record for these kind of acts is horrible. The fact that this administration is sponsering these acts is equally sickening. And the fact that Bush ran a campaign promoting state's rights is down right gag-worthy.

Blah.

Taft

16. macrumors 604

iJon

i havent smoked it and i am 17. i have lots of friends who do though. i dont have anything against my friends who do it, i just dont think its smart and i dont want to do it to my body. but to say you didnt know that anybody out there who hasnt smoked it is just plain stupid.

iJon

17. macrumors 65816

Taft

The law actually states that pipes whose primary purpose is for drug consumption are illegal.

This is important as the law is very vague and defining or assigning a "primary purpose" to a pipe or bong is difficult. Most are sold with the idea that they will be used for tobacco. The pipes' sellers or the Justice Department never know what the pipes will be used for--only the person buying the pipe knows that for sure. So for many years, it was sufficient to say that the pipes were being sold for tobacco use only.

The justice department has decided to start going after dealers of these instruments now, basically reinterpretting the laws and going after business people who, like it or not, have been legitimately selling these products for years. Because the law is vague, they are getting away with this prosecution, but I find it maddening.

Just another reason why I hate this friggin' administration.

BTW-- I love the way you cast judgement on the pot users of the world. F***in' hippies, right?

Taft

18. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I agree that i was exaggerating when i said i dont know anyone who hasn't tried marijuana, however it is rare to find someone who has never touched to stuff even once. More power to ya if your 17 (prime age to experimenting) and manage to avoid it. Good luck with college.

19. macrumors 604

iJon

i had a feeling you werent being to serious too. but dont worry, ill have a great time in college. its no that im ignorant to weed and i just havent had the oppurtunity to try it, its just it doesnt appeal to me at all. ive known too many people who smoke ive just learned to hate it. its annoying when i go to restaurants or any an other event that involves smoke polutting my air. i will have fun in college, just not with that.

iJon

20. macrumors member

21. macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The feds seem to be arresting people before a crime has occurred. If I buy a gun, they don't arrest me for shooting someone before I use it, yet that is the primary purpose of owning a gun (pistol). Why are they arresting pipe producers for making pipes that have not been used illegally? Makes no sense.

And just for fun:

Attached Files:

22. macrumors 6502a

markjones05

I wasnt trying to imply that you wouldnt have fun in college without the use of marijuana. Obviously you are more resistant to peer pressure than others and thats good. There are plenty of other ways to have fun in college besides marijuan believe me. I am a sphomore now who enjoys taking the edge off from time to time. I only write in this thread because I am for the legalization of marijuana, and I got aggravated to see everyone jump down petes back when he made this thread.

What school sare you looking at?

23. macrumors 604

iJon

not really sure yet. im still a junior so ill be looking more next year. somewhere that has a good business school hopefully. i also would like to go to a big name school with a good basketball and football team because ill be one of the guys who camps outside the night before student tickets go on sale. it would drive me crazy if my school sucked at sports.

iJon

24. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

hey something i can agree with pete on.

just go away people. go get the killers and terrorists. someone wants to smoke pot in their house with an artistic piece of glass? how am i supposed to just KNOW they arent going to use it to smoke tobacco?

cigarettes are much worse. they are addictive, people do it everywhere in your face, and tobacco companies target children. its not like there are people pushing marijuana on kids everywhere. thats just not the nature of the drug.

'the law is the law' is such a copout. the draft was the law as well, but i believe that people should have had the right in the 60s to refuse service. muhammed ali is a prime example. why fight against wrongs done by another nation for a country that doesn't even recognize a person's basic human rights regardless of color?

yeah, its a stretch, but the principles are the same. the government wants to make examples of people who partake in actions and make decisions that are technically against the law, when the law directly contradicts other perfectly legal, arguably greater offenses to american society. only in order to get some press and to take the american eye off of the things that truly matter; the things that they are failing miserably at.

go away, stop the fanfare, and go catch some real criminals.

25. macrumors member

"If I buy a gun, they don't arrest me for shooting someone before I use it, yet that is the primary purpose of owning a gun (pistol)."

That kind of statement doesn't make sense.

The primary purpose of a pistol or a rifle is not killing a human being,
    The primary pupose of guns are the use in a sport, whether hunting, or target shooting or historical collecting, or just the plain interest in the gun itself.

Yes guns make an effective killing device, but so does a baseball bat ,a tire iron, a knife or even a car! And many more.

Guns are used in violent crimes and that is a fact. But violent crimes don't require a gun, they can be done with any tool.

The intent of crime lies in the individual, not the tools used.

A crime isn't committed by posessing a gun, or a bong, or camera.

But those items can be used in a crime when a human makes the choice to shoot someone, smoke pot or take a sexual picture of a minor.

The bottom line is freedom first , freedom of choice and then the law comes second.

By banning guns and bongs your taking away a freedom of choice.

The governement is not made up of the people, but of individuals with agendas satisfying thier own wants and needs and the lobbies who pay for the path to political power.

If the greater majority of society decides to ban those items then the government should follow the wishes of the people.

Ashcroft hasn't asked me what I think , has he asked you? He is on his own witch hunt.