Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Player

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Hi everyone

I just started my classes on IA 32 Assembly.
Whe are compiling the code with nasm, debuging in ddd and running on linux.
The problem is that our code use linux specific system calls so i cant link it on Mac OS :(.
Advice?

fab5freddy

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2007
Heaven or Hell
I'm not an expert at this area, but you can install Linux on your Intel Mac,
and then run anything Linux. I am planning to install Linux on my MacBook Pro, but don't know which version of Linux to install.....

Mac Player

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
I'm not an expert at this area, but you can install Linux on your Intel Mac,
and then run anything Linux. I am planning to install Linux on my MacBook Pro, but don't know which version of Linux to install.....

I wonder if the code runs on an ubuntu vm.

pip11

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
It should work exactly the same with Ubuntu or any other Linux running in Parallels or VMware. You could even use X11 and ssh from the Mac side to work on the Linux VM (running on the same computer), so that you don't have to keep your windows inside the VMware/Parallels window.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
It should work exactly the same with Ubuntu or any other Linux running in Parallels or VMware. You could even use X11 and ssh from the Mac side to work on the Linux VM (running on the same computer), so that you don't have to keep your windows inside the VMware/Parallels window.

Thats a cool idea. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.