Assigning static IPs using Airport Express.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Xerov, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Xerov macrumors member

Hey guys,

I need some help assigning static IPs to the computers on my network when using an airport express wireless router.

Here if my setup: Cable modem -> Airport express -> WDS -> Another Ariport Express.

When I go into the configuration all that I can use is DHCP, which Is what I need for the public side, but I need statics on the private side of the network.

Any help would be greatly appreciatied, I've checked google, but no luck it seems.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sorry I can't help you, but if you come across a networking expert who knows about assigning static IP addresses, let me know too. I've got a problem (see thread) nobody has been able to help me with so far.

3. Bear macrumors G3

If you want your local lan to use static addressing, all you need to do is not have the Airport (Express/Extreme) distribute addresses. You would need to statically configure each machine. Or you can have a range of addresses be static and have the AirPort distribute a small range of addresses for the random machine you plug in.

What a DHCP server on a system can do that the AirPort cannot do is assign an IP address based on a machines MAC address.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I'm a little surprised that it's not part of the Apple routers' software. My old 802.11b D-Link wireless router had the ability to assign specific IPs to specific MACs.

It's not a critical issue, but it would be a nice feature - especially in a mixed-environment home network (Linux, OS X, Windows).

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

imho, i think from a tech support view point, they choose not to do static ip's. just a guess though.