Astra scanner problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Omad0n, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Omad0n macrumors regular

Hi all, I'm looking to see if any of you can help. I have an iBook that won't start up without the scanner plugged in. I've tracked the problem down to the scanner software directly. I even got a tip that it has something to do with the scanner being set to group mode or something. But I can't find where to turn that off. It's very frustrating having an iBook (with 9.2,1) which can't go anywhere. The Scanner is a Umax 2100U. Anyone who might havea suggestion on how I can fix this so the scanner can still be used, but also so I don't have to have the scanner plugged in when I turn the iBook on.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There was a problem with the control strip or some such that controls the lamp timing - that caused problems.

Umax also dump some stuff in the extension folder.

3. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I used to have a Umax Astra 2100U - I believe to turn off the scanner sharing, which you refer to as group mode, You need to start the scan app supplied by Umax. when it loads in the upper right hand corner there is a black&white icon that looks like checkboxes. I believe it is here where you can adjust those prefs.

It has been a while since I used the software, so I give my explanation 3.5 bananas, on a 5 banana scale.

4. Omad0n thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I followed your advice, and found the extension. Turned the sharing off. Unfortunetly the computer still won't start up without the scanner pluged in. Actually it will start up, it just freezes when it's done loading. Any moere thoguths on what it might be>?

5. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

this might be a dumb question: did you check your "startup items" folder in the System? I believe UMAX puts a UMAX launcher app in there. If it's there. dump it, or at least move to the desktop.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Where exactly does it hang in the boot process?

But do check the extension folder, startup items, Apple Menu, Control Panels, and Conrol Strip folder for Umax items.

If all else fails check current SW versions at http://www.umax.co.uk/support/ and look in Current Drivers for the VistaScan and MagicScan stuff.

But do look for and kill the scanner networking stuff.