Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Aug 22, 2006.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Apr 18, 2004
    How much faith do you guys put into it? Do you guys read up on your sign on such sites like Yahoo and what not? What about all those "match" ups... About how a aries will collide with a pices or something if they are in a relationship. What's your take? Or do you think its all baloney. :eek:
  2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    I think its BS all the way...I don't follow it and don't plan to.

3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    It's fun as a curiosity, but other than that, I can't put too much stock in it. I simply refuse to believe that my personality and character are defined by when my parents did the nasty.

That being said, I am the living embodiment of a Pisces with an Aries rising ;)
  4. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2003
    I used to believe in astrology but my psychic advisor says it's BS.
  5. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I'm not really inclined to believe in it, but often when I read astrological profiles about myself, I find much of it to be remarkably true. So who knows.

However, I think most of the star sign sections in newspapers/magazines are usually complete nonsense.
  6. saxman macrumors 6502

May 13, 2004
    Considering astrology is based on star charts from Babylonian times, I wouldn't put any faith in it. The stars are in a different position now compared to several thousand years ago when the charts were identified. I was born at the end of August which puts me as a Virgo according to astrology charts, when actually I was born when the sun was in the Leo constellation. So which personality am I supposed to be really?

Even if the charts were updated, I still wouldn't believe in it though
  7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    I'm extremely open-minded, but when it comes to astrology I just follow it for fun. I do believe that things beyond our knowledge and comprehension have an effect on us, (we just don't understand it yet), and I do believe that certain beliefs or phenomena along these lines are real and that it is just our lack of understanding which makes us view them as "hocus pocus" and the like. Take, for example, how they thought alchemy was pure magic back in the day, whereas now we have scientific explanations regarding the creation of alloys, etc.

However, all that being said, astrology just doesn't quite fit for me in that respect. I think it's fun and all that, but I don't think that my destiny is determined by the position of celestial bodies, their orbits and the like. :cool:
  8. ksz macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    I have to second this.
  9. ejb190 macrumors 65816

When I manage to read my horoscope, it is usually a day behind which makes it kind of funny. I totally do not believe it. These things are written so generally that they can just about apply to anyone.

I remember mine telling me to "take the night off" the evening of an annual meeting for work (I was doing the program that night). Yah, that will work.
  10. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Sep 16, 2001
    Tuttlingen, Germany
    I find most horoscopes thoroughly amusing, but I never put any faith in them. In fact, most of my horoscopes that I read predict bad things will happen to me, so I'd be better off living in a cave if I were that gullible.

I rarely get the pleasure of reading horoscopes though...just whenever I happen to find an abandoned newspaper, I read the comics and horoscopes :eek:

Why do you ask?
  11. NATO macrumors 68000

Feb 14, 2005
    Northern Ireland
  12. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    Astrology hasn't worked since the dawn of the fortune cookie.

Anyone know what those lucky numbers are for anyways?
  13. Loge macrumors 68020

Jun 24, 2004
    I don't believe any of it. We Pisceans are very sceptical.
  14. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Well, considering putting the Eastern and Western astrological calendars together has me down as a Libran Water Rat, or one step below the Archangel Gabriel in terms of overall charisma and attractiveness, I think there has to be some substance to it :)
  15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I follow it pretty closely. I'm arrogant, extroverted, obsessed with hair and terribly vain so I'm a natural Leo.

Admittedly the horoscope predictions in the paper each morning are so vague they're bound to be true most of the time. Every now and then they say something insightful though. :cool:
  16. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Entertaining yes. But when someone says to me so-and-so is like how they are because their a born at a certain time of the year or the stars were aligned right or assign personality traits to different signs it automatically makes their claims in my eyes to be unsubstantiated.
  17. beatsme macrumors 65816

Oct 6, 2005
    it's prolly baloney, and I'm certainly not a scientist, though if you wanted to apply scientific principles to it...

you have to figure the gravitational pull of earth is affected by it's position relative to the sun...closer in winter, further in summer (in my hemisphere, anyway). And you have to figure that if the gravitational pull of the moon can affect the tides on earth it can also exert some effect on the average person...full-moon fever and all that.

so when you're gestating, it could be that the change in gravitational pull caused by earth's position relative to the sun and the phase of the moon might have some effect...

this is assuming you think a person's disposition can be affected by subtle shifts in gravity...

just a thought
  18. Motley macrumors 6502

Dec 11, 2005
    The only horoscope I trust comes from The Onion.
  19. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Apparently the recently declared new planets might help. :rolleyes: I think they've got their heads too focused on the existing planets. One in particular.

20. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Beacuse I was born in the second month of the year....I'm a water carrying long hair hippie thats over love with love I guess..:rolleyes: ................wait maybe they have a point here

Attached Files: