Astronaut Chris Hadfield performs Space Oddity aboard the International Space Station

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, May 13, 2013.

1. macrumors 68040

bradl

Absolutely amazing. No other words to describe it...

Actually there is. Regardless of if this guy is married or not, he's gettin' some when he gets back to Earth! :p

Seriously, truly an amazing performance. Just watch and enjoy.

BL.

2. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

3. macrumors Core

MacNut

Awesome video, unrelated, those russian capsules seem to land hard.:eek:

4. thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

I was thinking that too, especially after seeing how smooth the STS landings were smooth in rolling out on 16000ft of runway.

Once we get our economy back in shape, we need to update that design and get those back up in the sky.

BL.

5. macrumors 603

6. thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Here's what the AP had to say:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=183601928

Props to Bowie for lauding this guy after finding out what he did.

BL.

7. macrumors Core

MacNut

8. thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

He couldn't, nor could the RIAA. Space isn't pursuant to the Berne Convention, and the DMCA only applies to Earth and a rather small part of it. ;)

BL.

9. macrumors 603

He's an upstanding Canadian... I'd bet money that he paid the royalties due.

Hadfield for GG, eh!

----------

Thanks for posting this....

10. macrumors 601

eawmp1

Awesome job.

Now for Spirit and Opportunity to find those spiders.

11. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

At first I only saw snippets of this on Today, and I thought it was an awfully morbid idea. I mean, the original song is about an astronaut dying in space. Then I found out he changed the lyrics.

Better. :D

12. macrumors 603

I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it. It then occurred to me that the reentry is a risky thing. His choice of song may have been influenced by that too.

====

For anyone who watched the reentry coverage, right to the end, you may have noticed that Hadfield was the last to come out and that there was a lengthy delay before he was extricated. I understand it is because he barricaded himself inside demanding that they "Just shoot this puppy back up, eh! I'm not coming out until I'm back into orbit!" If you watched the footage you can actually see a couple of Russian technicians outside the closed capsule hatch, waiting patiently. It was the CSA technicians who finally got him out with the promise of cold beer, and an update on the Leafs vs Bruins game. Though, they lied about the game since he was still in weakened state after the reentry.

====

Marc Garneau, Canada's first astronaut, recalled last night that when he got back it was a shower he wanted badly. So he took his beer into the shower. I'm not making this up.

13. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

From Wiki

Guess he'll be getting it from the wife.

14. localoid, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013

macrumors 68020

localoid

Earlier in 2013, Cmdr. Chris Hadfield talked about playing (the Larrivée Parlor) guitar and making digital recordings aboard the space station...

RE: Copyright and Permission Issues...

According to The Independent Hadfield received permission from Bowie to cover the song...

15. bradl, May 14, 2013

thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Interesting to note:

The video was edited by his son.. but was mainly put together and recorded using GarageBand on his iPad.

I'm betting that Apple's marketing teams are sporting some major woodies on how to spin this into sales.

EDIT: From that Independent article:

That made me laugh.

BL.

16. localoid, May 14, 2013

macrumors 68020

localoid

Err, how would it be possible to "film and edit" video in Garageband for iPad? Sure, Garageband can do audio but I don't believe the iPad version of Garageband has any sort of video editing/recording ability, does it?

EDITED TO ADD:

via: https://twitter.com/Evan_Hadfield

/END EDIT

The video credits (see image below) at the end of the video outlines how the video was created and in the video I posted earlier Hadfield talks about using Cakewalk (a Windows based DAW) and Shure mics and a video camera.

Attached Files:

17. macrumors G3

rhett7660

That was cool!!! Thanks for sharing. It actually sounded pretty good too!

18. Scepticalscribe, May 16, 2013
    Last edited: May 16, 2013

Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Terrific video, wonderful idea, and amazing execution. This was a rare moment of music, moment and setting coming together perfectly. Sheer class. Well done, one and all. :D

Edit: Just checked the video of Commander Hadfield's version 'Space Oddity' on YouTube. It seems that there have been well over 12 million hits so far. Wow.

19. thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Reviving Col. Hadfield's work..

He just did an interview with Terry Gross on today's edition of Fresh Air. A very pleasant, and wonderful person to talk to. I didn't realize how much of a burden he carried on his shoulders, in being one of the people at Mission Control who could have objected to Columbia's re-entry, and possibly saving their lives.

I also felt fortunate to not ever have seen the Aurora Borealis, but have seen the Aurora Australis, and was amazed by those lights. But to be able to see them as he had would have been amazing.

This is someone I would definitely look to for mentoring, and look forward to reading his book. But definitely an interview you should read or listen to. This guy made being an astronaut cool again.

BL.

20. macrumors Core

MacNut

Not to derail but how could they have saved the Colombia crew? Their only option was a rescue mission that has never been attempted.

21. Contributor

Scepticalscribe

He gave a terrific interview to the Observer newspaper (the oldest, extant, Sunday newspaper in the world, one which has been continuously published since 1790; nowadays, it is the sister paper of the Guardian) last Sunday 27.10.

A very impressive, rounded, thoughtful, incredibly qualified yet modest, level headed chap, one who has made scientific stuff more accessible, (always hugely welcome) and who, in himself, is an incredible role model.

Indeed.

22. thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

I don't think it was the rescue mission that would have been the problem, as they could have readied another shuttle to send up..

But the way I heard the interview, it was a group decision on whether to attempt re-entry, knowing the problem that they had, and one objection to it would have been enough to not attempt it at all. He was thinking of objecting and with good reason, but decided to agree and attempt re-entry. It was one of his decisions that lead to the loss of Columbia.

I believe I have that right. The interview comes on again on my local NPR station in an hour, so I'll have another listen.

BL.

23. MacNut, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013

macrumors Core

MacNut

If I remember correctly Colombia was not equipped with a hatch to the ISS so how could they dock another shuttle? I don't think they had a way to connect.

So I guess their only option for a deorbit would be a spacewalk to Atlantis.

24. macrumors 603

Since this thread has been revived (and thank you!)…

Hadfield announced on this twitter account that he is running a Hallowe'en costume contest (with prizes). The news story on CBC is here. I've attached what I hope ends up the winner. When you scan the photos you might notice a certain facial hair feature crops up over and again… ;)

Attached Files:

25. macrumors demi-god

firedept

Pretty good costume!

On another note, just purchased his book couple days ago. So far it is an interesting read, but only started. Anyone that wants a copy should get one, as I was told by the bookstore sales help they are flying off the books shelves and not to expect anymore till well after Xmas. Very interesting person Hadfield is.