Asus Eee PC 1000HE VS. iBook G4 1.33ghz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by pilotkid, Sep 9, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2006
    Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
    Hey everyone. I currently have a Asus Eee PC 1000HE that I have for sale with the intent of buying a used iBook G4 to replace it. I can get one in great condition for about $300 bucks, which I think is good. I'm wanting to stay in the netbook size range, no larger than 12 inches. My Eee PC is very nice but its Windows, I cant stand it anymore and its pretty slow. Do you guys think a iBook G4 1.33ghz with the ram maxed out (I think its 1.25 or 1.5 gb) would be usable for basic internet surfing and light iTunes use? I know I cant update with Snow Leopard but Leopard will be just fine. What do you guys think about my thinking? Thanks for your help and opinions!
  2. macrumors 65816

Dec 31, 2008
    I think its great thinking - gets you away from icky-icky Windows XP. :D

In all seriousness, a high-end G4 should be a bit quicker than an Atom-powered netbook, but most testing says no.

(from another forum - I couldn't ever get the graphic to load)

iBook 1.2 - 674 GeekBench

Dell Mini - 918 GeekBench

I've considered the same thing myself, but have decided that (someday) I'll try the hackintosh route on my HP Mini.

But until then, its icky-icky Windows XP. :(
  3. macrumors 68000

Mar 3, 2006
    A judicious shopper can score a dell mini 10v for $250-$300 in the outlet, depending on what's floating around for coupon codes. There are several great how-tos at for making a pretty slick hackintosh with minimal headache (typing on one now). Much, much nicer than a G4 iBook (and it comes in colors...). :D
  4. macrumors 68030

Mar 2, 2009
    for surfing and itunes it will be fine even youtube, my ibook 1.2 was great for all these things
  5. macrumors 68000

After G

Aug 27, 2003
    From what I remember of my iBook 1.2 GHz, I had to put the setting on "higher performance" for decent Youtube performance (this was on Panther 10.3 though). Surfing and iTunes were just fine, and I don't see any problems for you there. But I'd definitely take OS X over icky icky XP :p