Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
No it doesn't. N7 has been on sale for 3.5 months. Going on a minimum of 500,000/month it would be ~2 million units. However they are selling close to 1 million units. Close to 1 million units/month means 600,000< x < 1,000,000.

I would say they have definitely sold more than just close to 1.5 million.

:rolleyes: But only the first 2.5 months were in Q3.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
People primarily shop at BB for computer/electronics gear. Walmart is not even on my radar screen when I purchase electronics gear; even though the local Walmart is the closest store to me.

So glad that all people everywhere have a representative such as yourself to announce blanket-claims.

What would we do without you?

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Apple: 14 million Ipads in Q3
every else: 11 millions in Q3

Of this 11 millions, Google Nexus 7 might have around 3 millions.

Google: 3 millions in Q3
Apple: 14 millions in Q3

Apple wins by a large margin but a few months ago, there was no such thing as a Nexus 7. So Google isn't doing that badly.

While it's certainly true Google's doing okay with the Nexus 7 there's one figure I'd be REALLY interested to see and that's the sales of low end Android tablets. Uh, that's low end halfway decent tablets not the stuff you get free in your cereal packet that may just manage to turn on before the heat death of the universe. As far as the Android market is concerned having a halo product is probably for the best but it doesn't help grow the market if all it does is take sales from other Android manufacturers...

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/02/pew-research-center-tablet-ownership-report/

This is USA only and based on a survey by Pew Research

pew-infographic.png

20121002_pewtabletshare_2.jpg

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
So Apple lost 35% of their market share in 1 year to their competitors? That is significant. No wonder they felt the need to push an iPad mini out.

It's 29% loss and that 29% loss is only in the USA though (hint: Kindle Fire).

Elsewhere, Ipad market share should be much much higher.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
No, it is a -35% change.

((52-81)/81) x 100= -35.8%

http://www.percent-change.com/index.php?y1=81&y2=52

Regardless, a 35% loss of market share is huge. Considering that the USA market is the largest consumer market.

Mathematically, you may be correct. But generally percentage change in market share is discussed as EbookReader pointed out.

Also, this research is incorrectly reported as market share. It is not. It is a survey of adults.

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
these sales figures are a success for the n7. Considering it was denied entry to the chinese market as payback for googles run ins with the chinese gvt.

Still no official release date for china.

estimated sales by end of year with china= 8million
without china = 3 million

They're well on course for that.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Mathematically, you may be correct. But generally percentage change in market share is discussed as EbookReader pointed out.

The precent change, looking at Apple's market share in 2011 vs. 2012 shows a change of -35%. There is no magic here. If you have $81 and you bought something for $29 and now have $52, you have 35% less money in your pocket. That is a 35% change.

Also, this research is incorrectly reported as market share. It is not. It is a survey of adults.

Read the title of the 2nd pie chart.

jY8S4.png

If the research group did a good job with their data gathering and analysis, then statistically speaking this should be representative of the whole market place.

Btw, Pew Research Center is well known and well respected for what they do. There is no way to go through each and every home asking if they have a tablet and what brand they had in 2011 and what brand they had in 2012. That is impossible to do legally and financially. So that is why you use statistics and draw conclusions from survey data. This is the only way to come to conclusions regarding marketshare of products.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
The precent change, looking at Apple's market share in 2011 vs. 2012 shows a change of -35%. There is no magic here. If you have $81 and you bought something for $29 and now have $52, you have 35% less money in your pocket. That is a 35% change.

As I said, you are technically correct. However, when discussing market share it is customary to discuss the difference in percentage, not the percentage change.

Read the title of the 2nd pie chart.

I read the title. As I said, it is reported incorrectly. You should read the footnote or the research. The chart was prepared by MacObserver, not Pew Research.

If the research group did a good job with their data gathering and analysis, then statistically speaking this should be representative of the whole market place.

Btw, Pew Research Center is well known and well respected for what they do. There is no way to go through each and every home asking if they have a tablet and what brand they had in 2011 and what brand they had in 2012. That is impossible to do legally and financially. So that is why you use statistics and draw conclusions from survey data. This is the only way to come to conclusions regarding marketshare of products.

My point wasn't that a survey is inaccurate. My point was that Pew specifically pointed out that it was a survey of adults. Not a scientific survey of all consumers within the market. And certainly not a measure of market share. Pew's survey was about tablet ownership among US adults.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
My point wasn't that a survey is inaccurate. My point was that Pew specifically pointed out that it was a survey of adults. Not a scientific survey of all consumers within the market. And certainly not a measure of market share. Pew's survey was about tablet ownership among US adults.

Yes a survey was the method used to gather the data. Same as that used when doing polling data prior to an election or post-voting exit polls to determine which candidate is winning an election.

Not a scientific survey of all consumers within the market.

This was a scientific survey. Not sure where you are getting that it wasn't. Pew Research Center is one of if not the leading think tank regarding looking at the public's attitudes and trends that take place in the country. This wasn't done as some 6th grade project.

Read their methodology and tell me their method isn't scientific: http://www.people-press.org/methodology/

In addition, as I said before they can't survey every adult. 1) Legally you can't force every adult to participate and answer your questions 2) Financially it would be prohibitive to ask +300 million people questions 3) It would be time consuming and data intense to deal with all the data.

That is why you do data sampling and surveys. If it was done correctly (I trust Pew), then their sample should be well representative of the population as a whole. So you make sure you have a broad representation of different education level groups, incomes, regions, ages, genders...etc. From that (if the sampling was done correctly), you can infer what the rest of the population is like.

This survey had over 9,500 adults in it. You know those presidential polls you read about, they typically have around 1,000 adults.

You can definitely take a survey and if done correctly, draw inference to what the rest of the population is like. i.e. the rest of the population is the market.

So this is definitely a valid representation of the marketshare of tablets.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Yes a survey was the method used to gather the data. Same as that used when doing polling data prior to an election or post-voting exit polls to determine which candidate is winning an election.

This was a scientific survey. Not sure where you are getting that it wasn't. Pew Research Center is one of if not the leading think tank regarding looking at the public's attitudes and trends that take place in the country. This wasn't done as some 6th grade project.

Read their methodology and tell me their method isn't scientific: http://www.people-press.org/methodology/

In addition, as I said before they can't survey every adult. 1) Legally you can't force every adult to participate and answer your questions 2) Financially it would be prohibitive to ask +300 million people questions 3) It would be time consuming and data intense to deal with all the data.

That is why you do data sampling and surveys. If it was done correctly (I trust Pew), then their sample should be well representative of the population as a whole. So you make sure you have a broad representation of different education level groups, incomes, regions, ages, genders...etc. From that (if the sampling was done correctly), you can infer what the rest of the population is like.

This survey had over 9,500 adults in it. You know those presidential polls you read about, they typically have around 1,000 adults.

You can definitely take a survey and if done correctly, draw inference to what the rest of the population is like. i.e. the rest of the population is the market.

So this is definitely a valid representation of the marketshare of tablets.

Again, I am not questioning the accuracy of the survey. You (and many articles) are misstating the results of the survey. Tablet ownership among US adults is not the same as market share.

Pew Research stated the results correctly. You (and Mac Observer) did not.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Again, I am not questioning the accuracy of the survey. You (and many articles) are misstating the results of the survey. Tablet ownership among US adults is not the same as market share.

I have no idea what you are talking about. The study looked at tablet ownership and then specifically looked at which tablets those surveyed owned definitely gives you a glimpse into market share. The market share gives you the percentage of the market (tablets) that is accounted for by specific products (iPad, Amazon, Samsung, Google..etc.). Another way to state it is that market share tells you the portion of the market that is controlled by a particular product or company.

Once again, the survey can give you this information if you believe that the sample (those surveyed in the study) represent the larger population as a whole (all tablet owners). As a result, the percentages from the study are representative of the larger population. That gives you the marketshare.

Now if this study had only 100 adults in it, I would agree with you. But with a study of 9,513 adults, I think you are wrong.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I have no idea what you are talking about. The study looked at tablet ownership and then specifically looking at which tablets those surveyed owned definitely gives you a glimpse into market share. The market share gives you the percentage of the market (tablets) that is accounted for by specific products (iPad, Amazon, Samsung, Google..etc.). Another way to state it is that market share tells you the portion of the market that is controlled by a particular product or company.

Once again, the survey can give you this information if you believe that the sample (those surveyed in the study) represent the larger population as a whole (all tablet owners). As a result, the percentages from the study are representative of the larger population. That gives you the marketshare.

Now if this study had only 100 adults in it, I would agree with you. But with a study of 9,513 adults, I think you are wrong.

Tablet ownership is not market share. 52% of the respondents own iPads. How many do each of them own? We don't know. 48% own Android tablets. Do they also own iPads? We dont' know. When did they buy these tablets? We don't know.

Ownership, as reported by Pew, is the percentage of tablet-owning adults that own each brand of tablets. Not market share of tablets. Pretend there are only two tablet owners in the world. One buys 9 iPads. One buys a Nexus 7. Ownership, as reported by Pew, would be 50-50. Market share would be 90-10.

Does that clear things up?

(And, obviously, Pew's research does not account for tablet owning kids.)

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
IDC projection.

This is IDC projection:

They projected 60% market share for Apple. And if we work the math backward, IDC is expecting Apple to sell 24m Ipad in 4Q. In 2Q12, Apple sold 17m ipad 2+Ipad 3, In 3Q12, they sold 14M (IP2+Ip3). And 24m for Q 4 seems to be reasonable. More interesting, IDC project a ww tablet sales of 117m units in 2012 and 261m unit in 2016. So they believe the tablet market will be more than double in 4 years...

http://techchannelmea.com/techchann...rong-demand-and-expected-product-launches.htm

Continued robust consumer demand and strong expectations for the fourth quarter, has led International Data Corporation to increase its forecast for the worldwide tablet market to 117.1 million units, up from its previous forecast of 107.4 million units for the year. In the latest forecast update of the Worldwide Quarterly Tablet Tracker, the firm also revised upward its 2013 forecast number from 142.8 million units to 165.9 million units. And by 2016 worldwide shipments should reach 261.4 million units.

"Despite ongoing economic concerns in most regions of the world, consumers continue to buy tablets in record numbers and we expect particularly strong demand in the fourth quarter," said Tom Mainelli, research director, Mobile Connected Devices at IDC. "Apple leads the market with its iPad, and we expect its dominance to continue in the second half of the year. Still, we believe there is room in the market for others to find success, and new Android and Windows-based products shipping in the coming months will give consumers plenty of buying options during the holiday season."

In addition to increasing the unit totals for 2012, IDC also updated its taxonomy to include Windows-based slates in the Tablet Tracker. Windows tablets, which include Windows 7 tablets shipping today, and Windows RT and Windows 8 tablets shipping in the fourth quarter of 2012, are expected to grow from about 1% of the market in 2011 to 4% in 2012, on their way to 11% of the market by 2016. During those same years iOS will grow from 57.2% in 2011 to 60% in 2012, eventually slipping back to 58% by 2016; Android will slip from 38.9% to 35.3%, declining to 30.5% by 2016.

"Tablets running Microsoft's upcoming Windows 8 and RT operating systems, including the company's own Surface tablets, will add some momentum," said Jennifer Song, Research Analyst for IDC's Worldwide Trackers. "However, we expect shipments to remain low in the fourth quarter as high prices and consumer confusion around these devices will limit their appeal. Also, in the second half of the year Android should benefit from the success of the Nexus 7 and Amazon's launch of new Kindle Fires."

While IDC has increased its forecast for tablets in 2012, the firm significantly lowered its forecast for eReaders in 2012. After a disappointing first half of the year, and strong indications that sub-$200 tablets are significantly impacting demand, IDC now expects 2012 shipments to top out at 23.6 million units, down from the 27.7 million units that shipped in 2011.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
Tablet ownership is not market share. 52% of the respondents own iPads. How many do each of them own? We don't know. 48% own Android tablets. Do they also own iPads? We dont' know. When did they buy these tablets? We don't know.

Ownership, as reported by Pew, is the percentage of tablet-owning adults that own each brand of tablets. Not market share of tablets. Pretend there are only two tablet owners in the world. One buys 9 iPads. One buys a Nexus 7. Ownership, as reported by Pew, would be 50-50. Market share would be 90-10.

Does that clear things up?

(And, obviously, Pew's research does not account for tablet owning kids.)

Can't do research on kids unless parents approve. So you just skip that and conduct a survey on adults.

Sure if you want to look at adults that own multiple devices that might be worthwhile. But I believe the basic assumption is that 1) the general adult only has 1 tablet just like they typically have just 1 smartphone (obviously there are some that have a work phone and private phone and there are technology geeks that like having multiple devices). 2) Those that own multiple devices are evenly distributed across the various manufacturers. If you think it is an important question, ask them to do a study looking at individuals that own more than one tablet. Bet that is such a small sample, it isn't even worth looking at.

Regardless if you want to believe this represents the tablet market one thing is clear from the data, Android based tablets are beginning to etch away at the market that Apple once dominated. Apple barley has the market majority at this point 52% vs 48% and if the trend continues, will probably start seeing the non iOS market become even larger (Android and MS).

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Can't do research on kids unless parents approve. So you just skip that and conduct a survey on adults.

:rolleyes: That doesn't mean they are not part of the market.

Sure if you want to look at adults that own multiple devices that might be worthwhile. But I believe the basic assumption is that 1) the general adult only has 1 tablet just like they typically have just 1 smartphone (obviously there are some that have a work phone and private phone and there are technology geeks that like having multiple devices). 2) Those that own multiple devices are evenly distributed across the various manufacturers. If you think it is an important question, ask them to do a study looking at individuals that own more than one tablet. Bet that is such a small sample, it isn't even worth looking at.

Regardless if you want to believe this represents the tablet market one thing is clear from the data, Android based tablets are beginning to etch away at the market that Apple once dominated. Apple barley has the market majority at this point 52% vs 48% and if the trend continues, will probably start seeing the non iOS market become even larger (Android and MS).

I'm not sure how you are missing this. Your assumptions are bogus. Ownership isn't market share and Pew Research doesn't claim that it is.

Android tablets may be gaining market share on the iPad. I think that's inevitable, especially with the fact that the two of the main Android players (Amazon and Google) are willing to sell them at cost.

However, IDC (who measures actual market share) actually have the iPad increasing market share from 2011 to 2012. In direct contradiction to your claim that Pew's data represents tablet market share.

53x12

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2009
:rolleyes: That doesn't mean they are not part of the market.

I'm not sure how you are missing this. Your assumptions are bogus. Ownership isn't market share and Pew Research doesn't claim that it is.

Android tablets may be gaining market share on the iPad. I think that's inevitable, especially with the fact that the two of the main Android players (Amazon and Google) are willing to sell them at cost.

However, IDC (who measures actual market share) actually have the iPad increasing market share from 2011 to 2012. In direct contradiction to your claim that Pew's data represents tablet market share.

Yes because the method that IDC uses is the only correct way and is without fault?

IDC’s figures for market share have been criticized for mixing apples and oranges. First, they directly compare figures from Apple on iPads it has actually sold with figures and third-party estimates from other manufacturers on the number of tablet products that have shipped.

The method used by Pew Research is a valid method and you can definitely infer marketshare from it. If you want to believe otherwise that is fine.

At this point we can agree to disagree.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Yes because the method that IDC uses is the only correct way and is without fault?

No, because IDC is actually estimating market share and not something else.

The method used by Pew Research is a valid method

It's an absolutely valid method to determine what they claim to determine - the percentage of tablet-owning adults that own each brand of tablet. This is not in any way the same as the percentage of each brand of tablet sold in the US in a certain time period.

and you can definitely infer marketshare from it.

Not at all. I already provided you with one example that was perfectly clear. Two people. One owns 4 iPads bought in June. One owns 1 Galaxy tab from 2 years ago. That would count as 50-50 as far as Pew's ownership numbers. There is no way to assume market share for any period based on the 50-50 split in ownership in these numbers.

According to Pew, 52% of tablet owners own an iPad. They could have bought that iPad 2 years ago or two weeks ago. They could have bought 5 iPads or 1 iPad. The ownership numbers from this survey do not address that at all.

You want to assume that every tablet owner owns one tablet that was purchased in the last year. Or that every brand is equally supported by multiple purchases. That's simply bogus and unsupported. It doesn't even make sense.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/03/editorial-amazon-and-google-are-undermining-mobile-pricing/
Editorial: Amazon and Google are undermining mobile pricing, and that may hurt everyone

When Google unveiled the Nexus 4, Nexus 10 and a refreshed Nexus 7 in October, the moment was arguably the crescendo of a change in the Android ecosystem that had been building ever since Amazon's Kindle Fire first braved the marketplace in 2011. Along with a widely expanded Amazon lineup that includes multiple Kindle Fire HD models and a price-cut tweak to the original Fire, two of the largest players in the mobile world now have top-to-bottom device businesses built around selling at break-even prices and recouping their money through content. That might sound good on the surface, but it's a bad omen for competitors that genuinely can't respond in kind -- and it could erode some of the values of diversity and innovation that we're supposed to hold dear as technology fans.

Companies selling tablets at cost hurt the market overall. And this will hurt consumers also.
No profits = no money for R&D = no new innovations/no diversity

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/03/editorial-amazon-and-google-are-undermining-mobile-pricing/
Editorial: Amazon and Google are undermining mobile pricing, and that may hurt everyone

Companies selling tablets at cost hurt the market overall. And this will hurt consumers also.
No profits = no money for R&D = no new innovations/no diversity

And as the article mentioned. The reason they can price their goods so low is because they make up for it with content sales and Google gets additional revenue from ad sales. I don't see a problem with that as a consumer. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.