Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ASUS today announced the first single-cable USB display that comes equipped with a USB Type-C port, allowing it to work with Apple's Retina MacBook and other USB-C machines. The MB196C+ portable display includes a 15.6-inch screen with a 1080p resolution.

The new monitor is the successor to the USB-powered ASUS' MB168B+, which came out two years ago. It features the same metallic finish and two-way adjustable stand, but according to Engadget, the display panel in the new model has been upgraded to IPS for improved colors and viewing angles.

asusmonitor-800x461.jpg

With the monitor's single USB-C cable, a Retina MacBook can power the display without the need for a second power cord. ASUS' MB169C+ is just 8.5mm thick and it weighs approximately 1.8 pounds, making it a good companion monitor for the ultra thin Retina MacBook.

ASUS hasn't shared details on availability or pricing, but its retail cost may be similar to the prior MB168B+, which retails for $200 to $300.

Article Link: ASUS Announces First Portable 15.6-Inch USB-C Display

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
With the monitor's single USB-C cable, a Retina MacBook can power the display without the need for a second power cord.

While the monitor sounds interesting and all, I'm concerned by this. What happens when the MacBook's battery dies? Does it have a power passthrough or anything?
[doublepost=1452019510,1452019404][/doublepost]
Where is the new Apple USB-C Cinema Display. Why is it taking so long to introduce?

If it's 27", Apple will probably want to use the same panel as the retina iMac. Not sure if USB-C supports that resolution.

Reactions: KPOM

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
While the monitor sounds interesting and all, I'm concerned by this. What happens when the MacBook's battery dies? Does it have a power passthrough or anything?
[doublepost=1452019510,1452019404][/doublepost]

Agreed. I'd rather the monitor have the ability to charge the MacBook (like the desktop monitors announced yesterday). Plug the USB-C charging cable into the monitor, and the monitor into the USB-C port on the MacBook.

Reactions: nt5672

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
So it's light at 1.8 lbs. But would people really prefer to carry 2 things (this display and a 2 lb MacBook) around vs a much more powerful 15"rMBP that's just 0.69 lbs heavier?

Reactions: AleXXXa

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
The adapter works fine and isn't quite as horribly priced on Ebay. I'll be down for one of these for sure.
[doublepost=1452020586,1452020549][/doublepost]
So it's light at 1.8 lbs. But would people really prefer to carry 2 things (this display and a 2 lb MacBook) around vs a much more powerful 15"rMBP that's just 0.69 lbs heavier?

Don't have to -always- carry it around.. Just toss it in the bag when needed.

termite

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2003
Does this use DisplayPort/Thunderbolt to display video, or is this just the same as ASUS USB version but with a different connector?

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
From what I can see in the pictures it does not have power passthru, so it does run off the Macbook's battery. Or you need some kind of USB-C hub to be able to hook up both the monitor and charger at the same time.

I was also surprised to see that for some reason they did not use a USB-C connector on the monitor itself, it has a USB 3.0 Micro-B port.

Two big design mistakes in my opinion.

Reactions: Mums

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014

i'd say it's a great accessory for either or. i have a 15" mpb and upon discovering this on mac rumors, i WANT one. $300? hell yes.

edit: wait, is it usb-c ONLY? ......meh. not gonna buy one from 2 years ago without the screen/viewing angle improvements...

talkybear

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
This USB-C thing is so confusing. So you can send video/receive video/send power/receive power all on one cable, or are there multiple types of USB-C cables?

For example, if two devices both with batteries are connected to each other via USB-C, how would they decide which one will power the other?

Reactions: Mums and autrefois

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
That'll go great with that double USB-C adapter to allow you to both use an external display and charge at the same time!

Oh wait.

oh come on. it's a known fact you have to buy an adapter when you purchase a 2015 macbook if you want to use your peripherals and charge it, so this complaint is already old. get next years model if you really need one, it'll have 2 ports. otherwise, i don't even see the hassle in using a little hub - other than the fact it's an added expense. for people who entered into buying a product knowing it requires one.

Reactions: doelcm82

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
This USB-C thing is so confusing. So you can send video/receive video/send power/receive power all on one cable, or are there multiple types of USB-C cables?

Yes, one cable does it all.

For example, if two devices both with batteries are connected to each other via USB-C, how would they decide which one will power the other?

If it's a MacBook and say a future iDevice w/ USB-C, the MacBook will charge the iDevice. However, it might decide that each device powers itself.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009

USB-C is a connector type. The most common connector type is Type-A. The connector on its own can't do anything. USB 3.1 is what you need to do everything all in one cable. What you need to buy is a cable that conforms to the USB 3.1 specification, and not all Type-C cables do. The connector type determines if you need an adapter to plug your devices in, but the specification is what determines what can be transmitted. It's actually a little more complicated than that as there are both USB 3.1 Rev 1 and Rev 2 specifications (different speeds), but let's ignore that for now, both can handle power and video.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
oh come on. it's a known fact you have to buy an adapter when you purchase a 2015 macbook if you want to use your peripherals and charge it, so this complaint is already old. get next years model if you really need one, it'll have 2 ports. otherwise, i don't even see the hassle in using a little hub - other than the fact it's an added expense. for people who entered into buying a product knowing it requires one.
I'm sure we can debate this to no end, it's still odd that I need to make this sort of choice: charge my laptop OR use an external screen. Why can't it be both simultaneously?

Beerstalker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2011
Peoria, IL
OK, just realized I was looking at pictures of the 169B+ on Asus' website. Maybe the 169C+ does have a USB-C port and not just a USB-C to USB 3 micro B cable.

I'm sure we can debate this to no end, it's still odd that I need to make this sort of choice: charge my laptop OR use an external screen. Why can't it be both simultaneously?

I agree. A device like this should have two USB-C ports on it so one could be hooked to the power supply and the other to the laptop so they both could get power from an AC outlet instead of relying on battery power.

talkybear

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
I don't think I've ever actually seen someone with a portable monitor... folks that have one, where are you taking it and how frequently?

This can be good for people who wants dual monitors on the go. Like the Thinkpad W700 dual screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.