ASUS UX32 - could I downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7 if I bought one?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gwelmarten, Nov 24, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Hi
    I want to get a ASUS UX32A. There's one that comes with Windows 8 and an SSD, and the other that doesn't have the SSD but has Windows 7. They are basically the same price. I will be using the computer for work, running Windows applications, accounting stuff and banking stuff. Basically if I really want Windows 7, but also the SSD would be good. If I got the Windows 8 version with the SSD, I'm worried I wouldn't be able to downgrade to Windows 7 and keep all the ASUS drivers for things like the SSD cache and the multitouch trackpad. Is this the case? Should I just get the Windows 7 default one? Or will it be possible to safely downgrade the Windows 8 one?
    Thanks,
    Sam

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

3. macrumors 604

would it not be better to ask on an asus forum and not a Mac forum?

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Plenty of people ask non-apple related questions on here as there's no other tech forum quite like it.

5. macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Yes, you can downgrade

You can downgrade but you need windows install media, it looks very difficult. I would buy a mac instead. But if you insist: here you go.

6. macrumors 68020

It's not hard. The ASUS UX32A originally shipped with Win7 ultimate. Just need install media and the drivers from Asus for the machine. Should be pretty straightforward.

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX32A/

Plus it fully supports Win8, so you're not locked down. Nice machines.

7. macrumors 6502

I think there is a better forum for this question. notebookreview.com. A much wider audience for your query....