At Home Workout DVD recommendations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by floriflee, Feb 13, 2006.

1. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good at home workout DVD program? I'm just looking for something to use on those days when the weather isn't so great or I'd just rather stay inside. I'd prefer that over spending a monthly fee at a gym. I'm looking for something that will give a good cardio workout with possible strength-training benefits. Kickboxing possibly, but I'm open to suggestions. I could go for a good mix of DVDs to help prevent boredom.

I'd prefer something low to medium impact. I had ACL-replacement surgery after a ski accident a few years ago, and while the doctor says arthritis in that knee is inevitable in about 30 years, I'd like to try and stave it off as long as possible.

Thanks, in advance!

2. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Assuming you're a woman, go for Carmen Elektra's Cardeo Strip Arobics series. bought thsoe for my GF as she really wanted them, thsoe she never uses them. Maybe I'll sell em to you if she lets me. The second DVD hasn't even been opened.

3. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Ok, I have Karen Voight's entire collection...go to www.karenvoight.com You will not be disappointed and they work great!!! :)

oh yeah, and she has a video clip samples for all of her workouts so you can preview and see if its the workout you are interested in doing!! I love the Ultimate Step Circuit, YogaSculpt, and the Great Weighted Workout the best....if you still have a VHS player somewhere, I highly reccommend the "Your Personal Best" workout that she created with Elle MacPherson--it still a fav of mine to this day!!!

4. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

Thanks for the recommendations!

Onizuka: Not sure about the stripper video. Does it involve overly-flexible positions and a pole or something?? Are the neighbors going to start questioning the happenings in my apartment (we have fairly thin walls and neighbors who can hear even the slightest of bass beats)? I'm sure the hubby would like me to try it.... :D

macarrtiskel: I will definitely take a look at the website. My VHS machine is in storage in another state right now so DVDs are all I can use at the moment. So sad the "Personal Best" workout is out. :( Thanks so much, though!

5. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Yes this video is the only reason I keep my VCR around! Its ridiculous its the ONLY video that they haven't made it into a DVD yet. Oh well, Karen Voight is a staff favorite in all my workout magazines...anyone that I have ever suggested these videos for have loved her! Good luck! :)

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

My wife bought a fitness game for the Xbox. Runs you through routines based on the personal data you input, and keeps track of your progress and such. I think it is available for the PS2 as well. Here it is.

7. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

Unless there's something that works for a GameCube I'm out of luck in that option. Sounds really cool, though!

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

No, there's no pole or nudity involved whatsoever. And at some point it will get you to be a bit flexable I suppose. It's a workout process that will eventually demand a lot of physical involvement. It's very tasteful and not what you would think. But I've heard it's one of the best workout series.

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Sounds like a good excuse to spend $150 on another console to me.:p

10. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

Hmm... I could see the hubby coming home tonight and saying that that WOULD be a good idea... :rolleyes: :D

11. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

How much would you sell it for? Does it require a lot of space to move around? My living room area is decent sized, but I'm just curious how much furniture I'd have to rearrange. You can PM me if you like.

12. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Ok, I might have to get this one as well...I bet it is fun at least!! And Carmen Electra has one of the hottest bods out there!! That is some proof it works!! :)

13. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

I hear Madonna does Cardeo Strip arobics as well. Most really hot actresses/models/singers have some sort of regimine, but I've heard that MANY women prefer this as it's "fun" and they see and feel the results pretty quickly.

As for selling the DVD's, I dunno. I'd have to ask her as they were gifts. They're only like 20 bucks a piece or less at Best Buy. And each one I think you can do without really advancing. There's three DVD's as far as I know.

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

My wife uses the Crunch Video Series "Pick Your Spot Pilates" with Ellen Barrett out of LA. She's stayed with it.
    Rereading your post though, I'm thinking you'd really benefit with some workouts that target your quadriceps.

15. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

Yeah, can't neglect the quads or the hams or the calves . I feel like when I do that's when I notice the affects of the accident and surgery coming on. :(

16. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I've been looking at that for my wife. Every workout DVD she has gets used for a week and put on a shelf. When we had a PS2 she used to exercise with DDR Max and enjoyed that (but we no longer have a PS2). Maybe she'll enjoy the Yourself Fitness game for Xbox, now that I've just bought one. I've read lots of good reviews about it. I think this thread has convinced me to go ahead and get it for her.

17. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Thats EXACTLY what I was going to recommend. I got them for my wife (yes, she did ask for them) and she loves them. I must say I'm happy with the results as well.;)

18. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

I went to Best Buy this evening to take a look at the different exercise DVDs. I saw the Carmen Electra ones and almost bought one to try it out since it came highly recommended, but I guess you could say I chickened out in actually getting it. I figured I'd come home and do a little more research to get a better idea of what the workout was like. For those interested, you can find a preview on her website: http://www.aerobicstriptease.com/store/customer/index.php.

After seeing the preview I'm still debating. I don't know if a dance routine is something I want to go for just yet. I got a couple of the Katherine Voight ones that came recommended (they were cheaper). Perhaps will try those out and then add the Carmen Electra ones into the mix later.

19. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Comcast On Demand has a ton of exercise programs available for free. I have been using those lately, its included in the cost of my cable and i dont have to fuss with going to the store to buy a video. The bonus may be the hot chick bending and moving in HD 1080i....

Ed

20. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

FLORIFLEE and ONIZUKA.....after eating a bunch of chocolate covered espresso beans and pizza today I felt REALLY bad and wanted to do something different for a workout so I thought of Carmen. I went to blockbuster and bought the Carmen Electra Stripper workouts 4 & 5...they are the art of the lap dance and hip hop, LOL!!! I love it though!! I haven't really done it yet..just watched it through and I cannot wait to workout with it in the morning!! I am going to buy the whole series too!! It was a great reccommendation!! Thanks so much!! :)

21. floriflee thread starter macrumors 68030

floriflee

Cool! I may have to get it then now and try it. Let me know when you've done it and tell me if it gave you a good workout in those typical troubled areas for women. Does it require a lot of coordination??