At least some companies deliver the goods

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Rend It, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Rend It macrumors 6502

After the disappointing "media event" today, I was a little disillusioned with the products Apple has been releasing lately. Rather mediocre by traditional Apple standards. I hope April 1st surprises us all...

However, there are some companies who are still very innovative, namely Volkswagen. Here's some news from today:

Volkswagen Polo BlueMotion
    A 60 mpg diesel? I'll take one! Here's another story from not too long ago:

Volkswagen Golf GT TSI - Supercharged and Turbocharged 1.4l
    170 HP, 180 ft-lbs torque, and it gets 48 mpg highway?! :eek:

-RendIt

2. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

That Polo sounds mighty interesting, my next car it might be:)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They sell 60 kW Toyota Echo hatchbacks in Australia that can barely make it up the mountain (although even larger cars have trouble with this one, so fair enough). My 74 kW hatchback is OK at going up this same mountain with 1-3 people in it.

Unless you only drive in areas where there is flat land, I can't imagine owning a 59 kW car.

On the other hand, that Golf GT sounds like a real treat. :)

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: SmartCar.
    I'm on the list.

5. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

but the problem with those is torque not power, most diesel engines really shine on the torque figures in this case 190nm, a Toyota echo probably doesn't top 120, that is why the perfomance on hills is terrible (a similar reason most tractors are diesel, pulling power)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Aren't the current small VW diesels already in the high 50s? Or is this a different metric that's more of a combined city/highway? Or am I smoking crack? :eek:

7. NWAMacTech macrumors member

That is one of the ugliest cars i have ever seen!

8. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, GM has scratched their plans to bring that puppy here. What list are you on?

9. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

It's also too bad if you get in an accident or try to bring the groceries home:p

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Smart is DCX... not GM, isn't it? Or what list are *you* on? :D

11. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I can't wait until diesel engines are available here.

I was reading about the Toyota Hilux (Tacoma) that are sold around the world today and would pay a premium to have one of those common rails in mine.

Volkswagen are making some great products lately, though most of them seem to be only for Europe. Volkswagen does not sell trucks stateside though.

I know that the Tundra is destined to get a diesel in the next few years, but it is designed for the commercial users, not people who enjoy the benefits of a smaller truck.

The Jeep Liberty offers a diesel, but I have read that it is nothing special. The Liberty does not offer an open bed either, which is invaluable for my needs.

Volkswagen would do well if they were among the first to bring diesel engines to a wider variety of the vehicles they sell here already. It would make the Toureg a lot more competitive than it is now.

12. Rend It thread starter macrumors 6502

You'll note in the article that the previous Polo TDI versions got low 50's (53 mpg). In the states, we don't have the Polo. But, the smallest diesel VWs here, the Golf or Beetle TDIs get around 44 mpg highway. So yeah, not a huge improvement, but 7 mpg is still a 13% increase. If nothing else, it shows what a few small tweaks on various components of the car can do. Better use of the turbo, improved exhaust recirc., reduced inertia in the drivetrain, etc. could be done by any car manufacturer on most of their models to increase gas mileage. Do they (the big three) do it? Not so much.

Also note that the CO2 emissions have been reduced as well. In response to Abstract, the average 60kW gasoline engine has about 80 or 90 ft-lbs of torque. This BlueMotion would have 140 ft-lbs, plenty to get up a moderate climb in normal time. Edit: Barneygumble already got this one.

-RendIt

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If you get in an accident in one of those, they don't use the Jaws of Life to get you out... they use a can opener.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the Echo also has s***ty torque. :p

This car doesn't fare much better, although it IS better......good enough to get up a hill.

For shame, Les. For shame.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

that aside in crash tests the smart didn't score worse than bigger cars

i'm pretty sure it would drive straight through a chinese Landwind

and 80 hp is enough for a Polo

16. neut macrumors 68000

neut

How so? I think muddy mudskipper would approve. :)

It would make a great kitty litter box, no?

peace | neut

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I saw a video on Google (I tried finding it, no go :() of a test one of the British car shows (Top/Fifth Gear) did (Well, so it claimed). They ran a SMART car into some jersey barriers at 70MPH and a slight angle. The roof shatterred (it is plastic, after all), and there was a visible crease in the A-pillar, but the left door (the left side took most of the impact) could still open, annd the right side was near perfect.