AT&T 3gs officially unlocked, on t-mobile US roaming in Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gestrella, Apr 29, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2012
    Have my old AT&T 3gs phone officially unlocked and working with a t-mobile sim. The SIM I am using was from a blackberry which I mainly use when traveling abroad and as US backup to my primary phone. As such, it has internationally roaming enabled and I have tested this.

Using this SIM, when I travel with the iPhone will it work in Europe ? Will I need to do any other settings or will it automatically pick up other network and start roaming ?

I ask as have some setting set for t-mobile and not sure when will travel international how it will behave.

Thanks in advance. Gus
  2. macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    There is no additional settings you must do when inserting another carrier SIM, when making phone calls and sending/receiving text messages, unless you need to change the APN setting, you may access this site from your 3GS while on a wi-fi network to apply the correct APN settings so your internet can work properly ==> and if you need to change any MMS settings, search for the proper settings, if your 3GS is jailbroken, you can use an app called tether me to change the MMS settings so you can send and receive picture messages.

Good Luck
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2012
    chestvrg thanks for taking the time to reply. However, my question is a bit different. The response applies if I am using a local SIM when traveling abroad.

What I am curious o nis weather using my US based t-mobile SIM when say in Europe I would need to mock with the APN settings. I would think not, but would hate to find out while there !!!! Plus, if the APN need to change I wonder to what ? would i need to do for each carrier network that I start roaming on ????

I believe this would all work fine - but again thinking best to check in case someone has done it already.

Thanks again. gus
  4. macrumors 601

Jan 16, 2008
    Bristol, UK
    When roaming, you'd continue to use YOUR carrier's (T-Mobile USA) APN settings.

T-Mobile will have arrangements in place for the data to be routed back to them by the European carrier(s).