AT&T Adds Unlimited International Messaging to Mobile Share Plans

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 25, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced plans to add unlimited international messaging to all of its Mobile Share and Mobile Share Value plans, allowing customers in the United States to send international messages as part of their existing plans, with no additional cost. Text, picture, and video messages are all included.
    AT&T is also deploying a new World Connect Value international calling package, which offers one cent per minute calls from the United States to more than 35 countries including Canada, Mexico, and several other locations in Latin America and the Caribbean. The add-on, which is available to all AT&T wireless postpaid customers, costs $5 per month.

AT&T's new unlimited international messaging follows Verizon's recent introduction of new More Everything plans that also include unlimited international messaging.

Both the World Connect Value plan and the unlimited international messaging will be available beginning on Friday, February 28.

Article Link: AT&T Adds Unlimited International Messaging to Mobile Share Plans
  2. macrumors G4

Oct 14, 2005
    Competition is a good thing. Thank you T-Mobile and Verizon!
  3. macrumors 68040

May 31, 2007
    Florida, USA
    They really need to get rid of extra charges for texts and calls between the US and Canada.

I mean, why should it cost extra to call our hat???
  4. macrumors 68040

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Thank you Tmobile for changing the the mobile telecom world for the better!
  5. macrumors 68020

Cuban Missles

Dec 6, 2012
    My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    I am still on AT&T and very much appreciate these little extras. Last month I changed to the new share plan that lowered my bill while increasing my cap to 10gig.

I am still angry with the double month bill when I upgraded to my 5s and still not sure if I will renew when my two years are up. But that is a long way off and if the competition continues to heat up, I am sure there will be a lot more surprises between now and then.

October 2015, I have you circled on my calendar!
  6. macrumors member

May 12, 2009

The truth is, these plans are still bad. Verizon, ATT, and T-Mobile all have terrible offers. What makes sense in this day and age is pure unlimited mobile broadband and that is it. That is what I have here in town with Cricket (although now that ATT bought them out, we'll see how long I can keep my plan) and simply use Skype to call out to regular phones when I need and iMessage, or whatever platform suits the moment.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2011
    Yet people still pay for them. Economics, eh?

T-mobile has become a disruptive force in the telecom industry. Wow.
  8. macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    This wouldn't have happened if Steve Jobs were still alive.
  9. macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Oct 31, 2009
    Near Dallas, Texas, USA
    Yay, now I can text message all my UK friends and not worry about the costs. :D
  10. macrumors 601

Mar 18, 2008
    California, United States
  11. macrumors Core

Oct 17, 2011
    So AT&T responds fairly quickly to match one of the things that Verizon added that AT&T didn't. On the other hand Verizon misses a huge thing of not allowing discounts on phones that are paid off, unlike AT&T that introduced that. We can only hope Verizon wakes up and adds that, but somehow they seem to suddenly think they don't have to match their close competitors all that well anymore.
  12. macrumors 601

Jun 26, 2009
    long island NY
  13. Oz.
    macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2011
    People already have unlimited international messaging from whatsapp and other apps like it, but you know this and because of this you did it.

In Europe for this pricing you get unlimited calls and messaging worldwide.

...not impressed with this offer:rolleyes:
  14. macrumors 604

Mar 26, 2008
    i dont think i have sent a single SMS on my iPhone 5 yet
  15. macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2011
    Now if only they brought back unlimited data...

Why do I get the feeling that that will never happen?
  16. macrumors 6502

Dec 29, 2011
    Irvine, CA, USA
    Wow this is a great addition, haven't expected AT&T to offer so much to the customers. Only wish is that the international voice package included China, but I can still use Google Voice for that.
  17. macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2012
    $5 a month!!!

It costs AT&T less than half a cent to send an international txt.
  18. macrumors regular

May 11, 2009

AT&T is starting to realize that, while it was asleep, T-Mobile was up and eating breakfast.

Now it's eating its lunch. Not in number of customers - yet - but certainly in terms of mindshare. AT&T is on its heels just wondering where the next shot will come from.

They deserve it.
  19. macrumors newbie

Nov 25, 2011
    225 countries?

World Connect Value ... offers low rate calling from the U.S. to over 225 countries​

Many sources offer different answers, and depending on the source, there are 189, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195 or 196 independent countries in the world today​

AT&T know something the rest of us don't...?

20. macrumors 68030

Mar 30, 2004
    Well, although the move may be late and merely a reaction to increased competition, I for one won't complain about getting more.

As for WhatsApp, while it may be undoutably very popular, SMS still continues to be a dominant messaging platform, however regrettable.
  21. B4U
    macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2012
    Why shall we fall for all kinds of gimmicks from at&t?
    Especially when their subsidy aio wireless can offer unlimited (with throttle) for $45? :confused:
  22. macrumors 68000

Aug 23, 2011
    that's it? stupid about unlimited data and calls
  23. macrumors Core

Oct 17, 2011
    And for free too!
  24. macrumors 6502a

Will do good

Mar 24, 2010
    It's amazing how AT&T always limb in with half baked deals after T-Mobile leads the way.

I've left AT&T a years ago and couldn't be more happy with T-Mobile, pay less than half what I use to pay before :D
  25. macrumors member

Jan 29, 2014

What part of Europe? I lived there 7 years and never heard of this.