AT&T Announces Completion of 3G Enhancement Project in New York City

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 28, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AT&T today announced the completion of a project to enhance performance of its much-maligned 3G network in Manhattan and other areas of New York City.
    The press release notes that the company has added an additional layer of 850 MHz spectrum coverage in these areas, increasing capacity and in-building performance. As a result, AT&T's internal measurement systems have shown two consecutive quarters of improving voice quality, with Manhattan in particular experiencing a 47% quarter-over-quarter improvement earlier this year as a result of the project.

Article Link: AT&T Announces Completion of 3G Enhancement Project in New York City

2. macrumors 68020

HA HA THATS FUNNY

but that means manhattan right because here in staten island ny i get service everywhere but my house, i step out of my house onto the sidewalk wow full service. lol

3. macrumors regular

3G Enhancement Project in New York City... if you're holding your iPhone 4 the 'right way'

4. macrumors 6502

Really?

Funny, I STILL hit a dead zone every single day at the Queensboro Plaza area, which is a major transportation hub in Queens, entrance to the 59th St Bridge, and where they have like a dozen condo buildings going up. Data is nonexistent for two entire stops on the N train. And they say they've completed the project?

5. macrumors 6502

SeanMcg

Your house wasn't designed by someone named Faraday by any chance, was it? :D

6. macrumors 6502a

justflie

My aunt's house is the same way. I think it has something to do with the siding on the house. Great signal outside and only 0-1 bars inside.

7. macrumors regular

phineas

At&t

Hmmmm, thinking Android and Verizon, or iPhone and Verizon.

AT&T is just NOT cutting it anymore.

And NOW if you hold the iPhone the "WRONG" way your signal dies. WTF?

If it aint Apple screwing things up its AT&T, if its not AT&T it's Apple

8. macrumors 6502

You use a mobile phone at home?

9. macrumors 68020

its really bad in my house, i literally get service everywhere but there. it fluctuates so much, it like either 0 bars or like 3 mostly 0 tho. but its better than t-moble we had service no where, we had to like walk down the block to get service. and no i don't use it my phone at home except for maybe texts but its still annoying ill still get calls from my cell tho.

10. macrumors 6502a

mattwolfmatt

Don't hold your breath for iPhone and Verizon. I went to Verizon recently; so glad I did. I can make and receive phone calls again (which, for me, is the primary function of a phone).

11. macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I don't see the point of paying $135/month for two cell phones, then paying another $25+ every month for a landline. Mobile phones should work inside, but like some others here, my service in my home is questionable, at best, on my iPhone 3G.

12. macrumors regular

keyofnight

I feel that. I definitely don't use a landline at home, and I can't imagine paying for one in the future.

13. macrumors 6502a

As someone who works in manhattan, i still get dodgy service from AT&T

14. macrumors 6502a

Doesn't everybody? (at least everybody 30 and younger)

15. macrumors member

violaboy

wifi

People still use landlines? Pay phones? How about those cool long distance calling cards? :confused:

haha

NYC has too many things in the way, I'm surprised any cell signals work with all of the concrete towers. The city should just put Wi-Fi everywhere and allow us to make phone calls (not Skype) over Wi-Fi. A new app: iCall

Actually, lets save some of our tax dollars we are gifting to countries overseas and build wi-fi towers for our whole country! :D

I'd gladly pay $800 (maybe more) for my phone if it meant that I didn't have to be a slave to the phone companies!

16. macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Super, now can they do upstate NY. Ugh.

17. macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I haven't had a home (land) line in 5 years. Most of my friends don't either, unless it's for their alarm system.

18. macrumors 6502

AT&T's self inflicted RDF

I see this as bad news -- there has been a slow deterioration since the service improved in lower Manhattan at the beginning of 2010. And with waves of new iPad and iPhone customers coming on board, things will go downhill fast if AT&T is dumb enough to think that's its job in Manhattan/NYC is done.

Maybe they are planning for the day iPhone exclusivity ends and two thirds of the users leave for other carriers. Yup, that may be the only way to finally fix AT&T's network.

AT&T -- detached from reality.

19. macrumors newbie

Famous fellow, but he evidently had a less well known sideline as a plasterer so he could test out his theories. At least that's one way of explaining the disastrous effect on reception of walls made out of stuff like this:

http://www.amico-lath.com/lath/diamond_metal_lath.htm

All those 20th century East Coast buildings? Wrapped in it.

20. macrumors newbie

IPAD clock out of sync today when you sync with AT&T

has anyone experienced this ?
    I am only seeing it today.

21. macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

The clock on my iPhone has been 3-4 minutes slow for about two weeks now.

22. macrumors 6502a

Yep, hit that same dead spot from about a block away from the bridge entrance to more than a couple of blocks heading east on Northern Blvd.

23. macrumors 6502

SeanMcg

All so companies like this can exist...

24. macrumors 65816

Ever think about getting the At&T microcell? It worked great for me ( well, I don't have At&T but do live in a major deadspot )

25. macrumors G5

Consultant