Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

131138-att_logo.jpg

AT&T today announced the completion of a project to enhance performance of its much-maligned 3G network in Manhattan and other areas of New York City.
As a result of this upgrade, customers in these areas are expected to experience improved 3G wireless voice and data connectivity and performance, especially during peak hours.

The network enhancement includes the addition of new layers of frequency, also known as "carriers," to more efficiently manage available spectrum and increase 3G capacity. The additions have been applied to nearly all cell sites in Manhattan and in other areas as needed throughout the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn. The result is an increased allocation of network resources for AT&T's 3G network to support ever-growing demand for mobile broadband services.
The press release notes that the company has added an additional layer of 850 MHz spectrum coverage in these areas, increasing capacity and in-building performance. As a result, AT&T's internal measurement systems have shown two consecutive quarters of improving voice quality, with Manhattan in particular experiencing a 47% quarter-over-quarter improvement earlier this year as a result of the project.

Article Link: AT&T Announces Completion of 3G Enhancement Project in New York City

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
HA HA THATS FUNNY

but that means manhattan right because here in staten island ny i get service everywhere but my house, i step out of my house onto the sidewalk wow full service. lol

wongster41

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
3G Enhancement Project in New York City... if you're holding your iPhone 4 the 'right way'

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
Really?

Funny, I STILL hit a dead zone every single day at the Queensboro Plaza area, which is a major transportation hub in Queens, entrance to the 59th St Bridge, and where they have like a dozen condo buildings going up. Data is nonexistent for two entire stops on the N train. And they say they've completed the project?

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
HA HA THATS FUNNY

but that means manhattan right because here in staten island ny i get service everywhere but my house, i step out of my house onto the sidewalk wow full service. lol

Your house wasn't designed by someone named Faraday by any chance, was it? :D

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
HA HA THATS FUNNY

My aunt's house is the same way. I think it has something to do with the siding on the house. Great signal outside and only 0-1 bars inside.

phineas

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
South of the Border I-95
At&t

Hmmmm, thinking Android and Verizon, or iPhone and Verizon.

AT&T is just NOT cutting it anymore.

And NOW if you hold the iPhone the "WRONG" way your signal dies. WTF?

If it aint Apple screwing things up its AT&T, if its not AT&T it's Apple

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
its really bad in my house, i literally get service everywhere but there. it fluctuates so much, it like either 0 bars or like 3 mostly 0 tho. but its better than t-moble we had service no where, we had to like walk down the block to get service. and no i don't use it my phone at home except for maybe texts but its still annoying ill still get calls from my cell tho.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Hmmmm, thinking Android and Verizon, or iPhone and Verizon.

AT&T is just NOT cutting it anymore.

And NOW if you hold the iPhone the "WRONG" way your signal dies. WTF?

If it aint Apple screwing things up its AT&T, if its not AT&T it's Apple

Don't hold your breath for iPhone and Verizon. I went to Verizon recently; so glad I did. I can make and receive phone calls again (which, for me, is the primary function of a phone).

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
You use a mobile phone at home?

I don't see the point of paying $135/month for two cell phones, then paying another $25+ every month for a landline. Mobile phones should work inside, but like some others here, my service in my home is questionable, at best, on my iPhone 3G.

keyofnight

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2009
Seattle, WA, USA.
I don't see the point of paying $135/month for two cell phones, then paying another $25+ every month for a landline. Mobile phones should work inside, but like some others here, my service in my home is questionable, at best, on my iPhone 3G.

I feel that. I definitely don't use a landline at home, and I can't imagine paying for one in the future.

violaboy

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
wifi

I feel that. I definitely don't use a landline at home, and I can't imagine paying for one in the future.

People still use landlines? Pay phones? How about those cool long distance calling cards? :confused:

haha

NYC has too many things in the way, I'm surprised any cell signals work with all of the concrete towers. The city should just put Wi-Fi everywhere and allow us to make phone calls (not Skype) over Wi-Fi. A new app: iCall

Actually, lets save some of our tax dollars we are gifting to countries overseas and build wi-fi towers for our whole country! :D

I'd gladly pay $800 (maybe more) for my phone if it meant that I didn't have to be a slave to the phone companies!

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
AT&T's self inflicted RDF

I see this as bad news -- there has been a slow deterioration since the service improved in lower Manhattan at the beginning of 2010. And with waves of new iPad and iPhone customers coming on board, things will go downhill fast if AT&T is dumb enough to think that's its job in Manhattan/NYC is done.

Maybe they are planning for the day iPhone exclusivity ends and two thirds of the users leave for other carriers. Yup, that may be the only way to finally fix AT&T's network.

AT&T -- detached from reality.

dedashort

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010

prashy21

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
IPAD clock out of sync today when you sync with AT&T

has anyone experienced this ?
I am only seeing it today.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Funny, I STILL hit a dead zone every single day at the Queensboro Plaza area, which is a major transportation hub in Queens, entrance to the 59th St Bridge, and where they have like a dozen condo buildings going up. Data is nonexistent for two entire stops on the N train. And they say they've completed the project?

Yep, hit that same dead spot from about a block away from the bridge entrance to more than a couple of blocks heading east on Northern Blvd.

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
its really bad in my house, i literally get service everywhere but there. it fluctuates so much, it like either 0 bars or like 3 mostly 0 tho. but its better than t-moble we had service no where, we had to like walk down the block to get service. and no i don't use it my phone at home except for maybe texts but its still annoying ill still get calls from my cell tho.

Ever think about getting the At&T microcell? It worked great for me ( well, I don't have At&T but do live in a major deadspot )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.