AT&T Announces Massive 30-50GB Mobile Shared Data Plans

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today unveiled three new shared data plans aimed at businesses, offering 30GB, 40GB, and 50GB of data, along with unlimited calls and texts.

The plans, which begin at $300, also come alongside new Mobile Share - Data only and Business Pooled Nation for Data plans for business customers.
    For consumers, AT&T's new plans are limited to 10 devices. Businesses can add 15 devices for 30GB plans, 20 devices for 40GB plans, and 25 devices for 50GB plans.

Additional devices, such as iPads and basic phones, can be added for an extra monthly fee, and AT&T also requires the same $30 per smartphone that customers must pay for other data plans. A 50GB plan with 10 smartphones would run approximately $800 per month or $1250 per month for 25 smartphones.

As for Mobile Share - Data, businesses and consumers can now purchase data only plans for tablets and laptops that range from 4GB to 50GB ($30 to $335 per month), and with Business Pooled Nation for Data, businesses in need of more than 25 devices are able to purchase data buckets from 300MB to 10GB.

Previously, AT&T's plans maxed out at 20GB of data for $200 per month.

Article Link: AT&T Announces Massive 30-50GB Mobile Shared Data Plans
  2. macrumors newbie

May 29, 2012
  3. macrumors 6502a

Oct 7, 2008
    Not bad when you consider their Business voice plans that is not unlimited and has no data or text.

Attached Files:

4. macrumors 601

Jul 11, 2008
  5. Guest

Dec 7, 2010
  6. macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2006
    i have no idea how anyone could use that much data per month on a mobile device or while tethering a laptop on the road
  7. macrumors 6502

Mar 31, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I don't think this is that great a deal. I think the share plans for consumers are a decent deal if you have the right numbers of devices. But with these plans, essentially you will be paying a minimum of $20 per device, per month. Many businesses with large volumes of lines can get pretty solid discounts and only be paying $23-$25 for individual data plans. So it really comes out to $20 for 500 mb of data per user or ~$25 for 3 GB of data per user. Granted, this may make more sense where you have very disproportionate usage differences between users, but overall I think the device caps really limit the value here.
  8. macrumors newbie

Nov 10, 2012
    Considering that it's only $30 for unlimited data with no throttling on Sprint, and on AT&T a few years ago, this is pretty ridiculous.
  9. macrumors 65816

Nov 15, 2010
    I don't understand carriers. Why not just competitively price unlimited data?
  10. macrumors 68020

Nov 23, 2011
    I'm amazed you Yanks stand for this sort of thing. It's not unusual for us humble, buck-toothed Brits to get unlimited data, unlimited texts and unlimited talktime for an average of £35-40 a month (about $60). And that's with paying about £60 upfront for the iPhone 5, so it's not exactly like you're paying through the nose.

I appreciate all carriers are thieving immoral bastards, but you guys seem to have it a lot worse than we do. Is there something I'm missing, or do we have it just as bad? :eek:
  11. macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2010

I wonder how many government groups are forking out on this rip off scam, milk em dry.
  12. macrumors 6502a

Oct 3, 2012
  13. macrumors 6502a

Mar 25, 2010
    I'm not sure if my reason justify, but the first thing I can think of is that the US is 75 times larger then England in land mass. So when we talk about national coverage vs. England national coverage. We are talking about a lot of more tower's. Also, if one is cleaver enough, one would enter into a family (or with friends) plan, I'm paying pretty much the same amount you are in a family plan.
  14. macrumors 68020

Mar 23, 2006
    Why are data plans so expensive in the US?

When all the UK networks launch their 4G services later this year, I'm expecting to pay maybe £30 or £40 a month for an unlimited 4G data plan on iPhone which I just tether to my MBP.
  15. keysofanxiety, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

macrumors 68020

Nov 23, 2011
    That's a good point, I never really saw it that way. But if you see this, you'll see just how comparatively cheap it is:

(not sure if that link will work over the pond?)

I mean, I'd understand if it seemed perhaps £10 or £20 more than over here. But $300 (£200) per month for unlimited talk, texts and 30GB of data? I genuinely can't comprehend that. I keep having to re-read it to sink in. How do your carriers get away with that? I thought we had it bad :(
  16. macrumors 6502a

May 29, 2007
    Portland, Or
    Because they don't have to. They are all making a killing already
  17. unlimitedx, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2010
    I don't have the source to back it up, but I heard that in Europe a lot of the infrastructure for wireless is paid by the government so not really apples to apples comparison. But anyhow, something truly wrong in the US on pricing. Too much consolidation has occurred over the last decade and the only two carriers that can throw their weight around right now are AT&T and Verizon. Sprint and tmobile need to catch up. Also in the US prepaid market not as big as job Europe.
  18. macrumors 6502

May 7, 2009
    Don't worry US're more expensive price plans are more than offset by the premium we pay over Apple products here in the UK.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't either, but a business with 30 phones would.
  20. macrumors 65816

Feb 15, 2011
    Those prices make me so glad i don't live in the U.S. Not being a "my country is better than the U.S." hipster, but damn.. that is expensive
  21. macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy part of the Pacific NW
    It all comes down to tea.

It's a little-known fact that Verizon and AT&T are owned by the British Royal Family. They use this absurd pricing scheme as punishment for us breaking away back in the late 1700s. I wish they'd just get over it - it's been more than two centuries, after all - but man that Queen Elizabeth can sure hold a grudge!
  22. macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2011
    Bigger country = more customers (should)= cheaper rates

Deals in Europe are unbelievably cheap compared to the US
  23. zin
    macrumors 6502

May 5, 2010
    United Kingdom
    $500 for 50GB shared? What the hell, America?

Are you going to allow these corporations to rip you off and just take it? You should band together and boycott AT&T and others. Surely you could file a class-action suit through the Department of Justice because this is blatantly profiteering in a cartel with other major networks through the use of monopoly power.

Unlimited data for £12 / ~$18 here in the UK.
  24. macrumors regular

Feb 17, 2007
  25. macrumors member

Jul 21, 2000
    And I can still get unlimited data, text and voice for $55 a month from Virgin Mobile. AT&T just doesn't get it.