AT&T CEO's "Only Regret" is Offering Unlimited Data Packages

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 4, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Speaking at a conference this week, AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson noted that he only had one regret about AT&T being the first cellular carrier to support the iPhone. As reported by the New York Times:
    Since then, AT&T has discontinued offering unlimited data plans to new customers, as well as throttling users who have been grandfathered in from older plans.

Stephenson is also concerned about services like Apple's iMessage texting service and Skype affecting AT&T's existing business models.
    All those concerns aside, AT&T has been extraordinarily successful attracting and keeping profitable iPhone users. In the last quarter, AT&T made $3.58 billion in profit on $29 billion in sales. The iPhone accounted for 60% of the carrier's total phone sales to postpaid customers in that quarter.

Article Link: AT&T CEO's "Only Regret" is Offering Unlimited Data Packages

2. macrumors 6502a

greedy

3. macrumors 6502

greedy bastard is all I heard in there ....

4. macrumors 68000

Dear Apple,

Please just buy one of these jokers, sale the iphone on your own carrier and push the current cell communications model into extinction.

Thanks.

5. macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

Well, he's right.
    Would you think different if it was your company?

6. macrumors member

Mr. Stephenson,

All I can say is you have confirmed my switch to Sprint when my contract is up in July. Hell, I might switch right now and just not pay the bill you send me for $375.

**** you, sir.

7. macrumors regular

What a pompous ass. I will pee on their stock certificates if they ever go bankrupt.

8. macrumors 65816

Frankied22

Aww poor baby. Go step down and collect your millions.

Your only regret should be GETTING RID of the unlimited data.

9. macrumors member

If i didn't have three phones i would need to replace... i would leave ATT in a heart beat after reading this. This reducing your speed bs has really pissed me off lately too.

10. macrumors 6502

What a complete and utter douchebag.

11. macrumors newbie

After living with the crappy smart phone world I'm in now, yes, I would change things.

Texting is the most ludicrous charge on a smartphone bill. Costs nothing to text from phone to phone.

Hurrah iMessage!

12. macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

i wouldn't doubt if AT&T wanted to figure out a way to double charge customers for using iMessages over 3g

13. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Greedy...

At least he is honest about it...

14. macrumors 68020

Apple has FaceTime for video, iMessage for text. They need to Add Talktime making it free between iOS and OS X users. How's that's gonna cut into your revenue stream AT&T? :D

15. macrumors member

Right, because it's data in the first place. It should already be FREE.

16. macrumors member

Sorry.... but I remember a day in the mid 90s when we paid for capped dial-up data and as competition grew (along with broadband), they did away with "limited" data plans and went with an unlimited model.

This too shall pass.

17. macrumors 65816

Love you fanboy guys. Apple making huge profit margin = GREAT. ATT&T making small profit margin = EVIL. :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

19. macrumors 6502

lol the balls of this guy ... he ***** on his customer base and people just take it. I would riot, but this is why I am with sprint

20. macrumors 6502a

We regret it too, ATT. It should've been only $20 for unlimited data. :p

C'mon Verizon, TMo, etc., introduce a rollover data plan!

21. macrumors 6502

If they hadn't offered unlimited data, there would still be limited adoption of smart phones. It jump started widespread adoption.

22. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Define "small profit margin"

23. macrumors regular

One would think that his biggest regret should be not foreseeing the increasing of demand that should have facilitated an upgrade with their network

24. macrumors member

What a prick.

25. macrumors newbie

I have AT&T and have never had a problem, I've even pleasant experience with customer service, but things like this just make me want to leave them. I understand a business needs to make money, but as new technologies emerge people are not going to pay to use the old ones. A company has to be fluid and innovate if they want to keep making money, not harping on progression.