AT&T compatible Net10 BYOP SIMs will be capped a 1.5GB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by corvus32, Feb 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

www.net10data.com

Their official statement from the linked site:

I don't use anywhere near 1.5GB per month, but some of you do. If you're one of them and TMO is a no-go in your area, then you might want to start looking over your other options.

2. macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Since Net10 and Straight Talk are different brands from the same company, I think we'll be seeing the same announcement from Straight Talk shortly.

3. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I'm actually ok with that. For once we'll actually get a clear answer on what their limit is.

4. macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I agree. Plus these plans with 1.5 GB of data still cost less than similar plans with only 1GB from AT&T GoPhone, Red Pocket, or Airvoice.

5. macrumors 6502a

co.ag.2005

exactly! I was seriously thinking about switching me and my wife to Straight Talk over Christmas but backed out due to the unclear data policy. Just tell us how much we can use, even it it's 500MB. But like bohbot said, 1.5GB is still a better data allotment than all other AT&T MVNO's.

6. macrumors 603

nfl46

Question to anyone that may know:

On ST, if I got the 6 month card, do ST reset my data every month? Because its obvious that I'm going to go over 1.5 to 2 GB in 6 months. I just didn't want to pay for a 6 month card and get throttled 5 out of 6 months.

7. macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Straight Talk seems to throttle based on per-day and per-month usage, but not longer than that. A 6 month card is the same as 6 1 month cards in terms of the service you get.

8. macrumors 68040

AutoUnion39

I'm happy that AT&T is doing this for their MNVOs. Hopefully, they do the same for Straightalk too.

It preserves their network for the people who actually pay $$$ for their service.

There is no reason why AT&T should allow data abusers to be on cheaper MNVOs and take away bandwidth from their post-paid users.

T-Mobile and Sprint are willing to rent out their network for any crap MNVO out there (Virgin, Solavei, etc) and look what's happened. Network quality is complete junk.

9. corvus32, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013

thread starter macrumors 6502a

AT&T owns a significant portion of both Tracfone and their parent company America Movil, so AT&T's position is probably more along the lines of "Let's profit off the competition by underselling their service while charging extra for ours" than "We should really preserve this network for our cheerful customers".

10. macrumors regular

jackwills

They need to stop advertising their plan as "Unlimited" Data now...
    Unlimited talk & text, 1.5GB Data >>> $50

11. thread starter macrumors 6502a

It only effects their customers with AT&T compatible SIMs, but those are no longer available through their website.

Straight Talk and Net10 are both pushing new BYOP customers to T-Mobile which is still unlimited.

12. macrumors regular

jackwills

I can still buy AT&T net10 sim on eBay or amazon for really cheap price as low as .99$ ST said the AT&T sims are gonna come bk when I call them yesterday..
    T-mobile in my area really suck, must go with the AT&T one...

13. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

I'm glad I got ATT sim when I did. It seems to have been discontinued about a week after I got it. I'm not sure why NET10 and ST are pushing people towards T-Mobile. Coverage still sucks more places than it doesn't.

14. macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

I suspect that the T-Mobile plan is more profitable for them.

15. macrumors 6502a

That depends on location as it does with every carrier. For me, T-Mobile has the best coverage and highest data speeds ranging from 17-21-Mbps where Verizon has no 3G coverage where I live and I dropped calls and AT&Ts data is almost as bad with no dropped calls.

It is impossible for a carrier to be the perfect carrier for everyone.