AT&T Confirms No-Contract iPhone 3G Sales

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 19, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

According to the Associated Press, AT&T has confirmed yesterday's rumor that they will begin offering no-contract iPhone 3Gs to existing mobile customers. The phones will be priced at $599 for the 8 GB model and $699 for the 16 GB model.
    Apple declined to comment about whether they too would begin offering no-contract iPhone 3Gs.

Article Link: AT&T Confirms No-Contract iPhone 3G Sales
  2. macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Reason being #1

To get all the stock sold up as quickly as possible to get prepared for the next iPhone in June
  3. macrumors 65816

Oct 14, 2008

well at the moment it's still just a theory, but it does make a lot of sense that i agree it could be called reason number 1:D
  4. macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    Should be unlocked....then it well worth the price, but as long as its locked to AT&T(or not easily unlockable) 599/699 is to much
  5. Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Whakatane, New Zealand
    Yeah, that's far too expensive. At the risk of inciting a riot, a factory-unlocked 8 GB model costs US$470 here.
  6. macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2006
    Oaklnad, CA
    why should they care about contracts?

anyone who starts using an iphone is going to be using at&t until the iphone is no longer exclusive to that carrier.
  7. macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2007
    I'm sure that $599+ iPhones would make a huge dent in clearing stock. :rolleyes:
  8. macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002
    Im sure! I think I would rather buy a Mac Mini!
  9. macrumors 6502a

Nov 2, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Did they do this with the original iPhone? Before the 3G release?
  10. macrumors 68020

Dec 25, 2008
    legal unlocking. pretty awesome - all these announcements are DEFINITELY going towards a new iPhone
  11. macrumors 65816

Sep 29, 2008
    United States of America
    It's kinda dumb to buy you can upgrade to the new one if your under contract plus it's cheaper I would like to activate it at My house though.
  12. macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Why is $600 to much? People are paying more than that for them now. When you buy an iPhone on contract, hidden in the monthly price is a loan repayment for the discounted phone. Notice that if you try can cancel the contract early they ask that you pay off the load at that time. You can see how much you paid for your iPhone buy trying to cancal the contract after the first month. What do they charge for that?

So if you want a "free" iPhone just use your credit card. Yes yu will have to pay the CC loan off every mounth but people seen not to care about that.
  13. macrumors 68020

Dec 25, 2008
    exactly. look on eBay - for an unlocked+jailbroken iPhone. you are looking around that price range - and the market for iPhones is very competitive right now, because of all the money that can be made from them.

however, to one who can jailbreak and unlock with ease - spending extra for the convenience of not bricking (even though.. you can't really brick) their new iPhones.
  14. macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    I don't get it...

No-Contract phones are generally $200 more, so they should be $399 and $499 or if $250 more (like some carriers), $449 and $549.

$599 and $699 should be for an unsubsidized iPhone useable on ANY AT&T plan (for real at these prices they should be unlocked).

Making someone pay these prices AND make them use a regular iPhone plan is just a plain rip-off... :mad:
  15. macrumors member

Nov 1, 2008
  16. macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2007
    Who would go for this? What's the point? Ok, so you're not "locked in." Right. I get it. Now what? Who do you go to? T-Mobile? Sorry, you can't. These are not unlocked phones. So, you go to AT&T and guess what? You still have to pay them the same price plan.

So what did you accomplish? Nothing except that you paid waaaaay too much for an iPhone. But hey, at least you're not "locked in" a contract. Yey Freedom!

Contractless iPhones have been available since last year for $450. Buy the phone, wait 31 days, cancel the contract.

$199.99 for the iPhone 3g 8GB, around $75 for one month of service, $175 early termination fee. Done.

And still cheaper than this load of cow dung they are passing off.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Feb 20, 2008
    well there is nobody to blame but apple for that. they decided to enter into this exclusive deal with att so that there are no officially unlocked phones sold in the US. the only phones that can use any att plan they want are those sold unlocked and unbranded by other retailers. as long as your are buying it from att (no-commitment or 2 year contract) you will be required to use the official att plan.

if apple were to offer an officially unlocked version of the iphone then you would presumably not have to use the special iphone plans.
  18. macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
  19. macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2008
    Will this be available in Canada on Rogers?
    I have been asking this question for so long!:mad::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:
  20. macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2004

What is stopping people from just opening a new iphone account and cancelling it when they're no longer willing to pay for it? Wouldn't that be the same exact price as a no-contract plan?
  21. macrumors 6502a

Nov 18, 2007
    early termination fee
  22. macrumors 6502a

Nov 18, 2007
    nevermind, i think i get what you are saying

$199 subsidized plus $175 etf + other small charges = about the same?
  23. macrumors 6502

Oct 12, 2006
    It is fact...all carriers doing some similar moves around the world. Its not spring enthusiasm, its new iphone. Just get your money ready...if you buying one.
  24. macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2007
    Yes, but...

"Effective May 25, 2008, new and renewing AT&T wireless customers who enter into 1- or 2-year service agreements will no longer be required to pay a single, flat Early Termination Fee (ETF). Instead, the $175 ETF will be lowered by $5.00 every month for the term of the contract. This change will provide our customers with even greater choices when it comes to their wireless needs."

now, here is the scenario, I am not eligible for an upgrade until 12/16/2009, but if the hardware changes enough and the new iphone is worth getting, by the time it comes out (if July) I would be down to $115.00 termination fee. Now, I would have to reactivate, so that's $36.00 bringing that cost to $151.00. If the new iphone is subsidized at $299.99 and for people not qualified for an upgrade would have to pay $200 more, why not just cancel, reactivate, and purchase the new phone and save yourself $50?
  25. macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    And the people who are paying that much for them now are also paying too much for them. The iphone should be $400 for a 16gb AT THE MOST. If it was around $300 it'd be more realistic. I dont understand the hype over the spacey looking big phones anyway honestly. I'll renew my contract when I see an unlocked iphone nano.