Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports that AT&T is "analyzing the situation" and may use Google's Android mobile platform in future phones according to an interview with Ralph de la Vega, chief executive officer of the wireless unit.

The Android platform was announced on November 5th, 2007 and promises to offer an open software platform for manufacturers to build mobile phones. Only the development kit has been released, and commercial phones are not expected to reach the market until late 2008.

It's unlikely that AT&T's involvement with Android will have any affect on their partnership with Apple for the exclusive distribution of iPhones.

Article Link

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Hopefully Apple can find a way to squirm out of the 5 year exclusivity deal... :rolleyes:

I'm just making this up, but it would be great if it turns out their contract is worded in such a way to specify THIS particular iPhone and future models are exempt.

Ok, AT&T would have to be stupid for this to be true, but I can dream, can't I? :D

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
I'm just making this up, but it would be great if it turns out their contract is worded in such a way to specify THIS particular iPhone and future models are exempt.

Ok, AT&T would have to be stupid for this to be true, but I can dream, can't I? :D

I think the ATT CEO said in an interview that he said they had the exclusive for this on other models.

I don't have a link though to back that up.

Twinkie

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Milford, MI
BREAKING NEWS: AT&T To Sell New Motorola Phones!
THIS JUST IN: The iPhone isn't the only thing AT&T sells!

Seriously. Why is this news?

Major vendors who are not Apple are all looking at Android.
They sell phones to AT&T.
AT&T sells those phones to people.

This is like "news" that Best Buy was considering selling PC's with Windows Vista pre-installed.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Why shouldn't they? Hardly news worthy! AT&T also offer Symbian and Blackberry smartphones too - all competitors of iPhone.

Apple should in no way influence AT&T ( or any carrier ) decision to carry Android phones.

Tom J

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Midwest
Of course ATT will be "analyzing the situation". They, along with every other wireless carrier are going to consider ANY new technology development.

joaoeduardo87

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2007
BREAKING NEWS: AT&T To Sell New Motorola Phones!
THIS JUST IN: The iPhone isn't the only thing AT&T sells!

Seriously. Why is this news?

Major vendors who are not Apple are all looking at Android.
They sell phones to AT&T.
AT&T sells those phones to people.

This is like "news" that Best Buy was considering selling PC's with Windows Vista pre-installed.

I know why is this news.. and apple shouldn't get mad at att at all they should be concern what the new iphone is going to be looking like? its not like apple makes all the phones that att sales.. if that was the case then yess... but who cares..

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
The more folks that use android the better, since it uses webkit it means that more websites will work well with the iphone

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I agree with those who say that this isn't very news worthy (at least on a Mac site). It would be news if Apple decided to actually use Android on it. It would definitely be cool if they made a completely Android-compatible OS for the iPhone with a few Apple touches. While Apple software is good, there are many really good 3rd party developers out there that would make great apps.

On a side note, in other threads, I remember reading about how to differentiate the iPhone & the iPod Touch. Isn't the fact that the iPhone has phone functionality enough? Everything else could be the same (camera, built-in speakers, non-phone apps, etc.) while the iPhone has the phone capability. Just my 2 cents.

underwater

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
ATT negotiating tatic

Unlike Verizon, ATT does not care about the phone OS as long as they sell service contracts. The threat of Android, helps them negotiate down their software/OS licenses with Qualcomm and others.... We'll prob see several telcos "evaluating android" via their PR dept.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I just want one of these too companies to get mad enough at the other that they walk out on the contract. Shipping an iPhone look alike based on Android with just enough crappy UI bugs might be enough to do it.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Remember, Verizon had the opportunity, but according to what I am sure everyone has read, They did not want Apple to have the control they have with AT&T. Also for the most part, I believe GSM is more wide spread than CDMA, therefore allowing Apple to sell more phones "WORLD WIDE".

HERE's a NIGHTMARE for you , you wake up in the morning and see verizon's gui on your iPhone :eek:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Remember, Verizon had the opportunity, but according to what I am sure everyone has read, They did not want Apple to have the control they have with AT&T. Also for the most part, I believe GSM is more wide spread than CDMA, therefore allowing Apple to sell more phones "WORLD WIDE
But the iPhone is not selling world wide to begin with. Sales in the UK are a lot lower then Apple would of hoped.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Sales in the UK are a lot lower then Apple would of hoped.

Based on?

We don't have apple internal numbers to say that is true.

And The press release from O2 says differently.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/11/12/o2.iphone.fastest.seller/

"Demand has exceeded our expectations and we believe it will be the fastest selling mobile ever," a spokesperson for O2 said. "We've hundreds of thousands of devices to sell and we are extremely happy with how things have gone." British newspaper The Times cites O2 CEO Peter Erskine, who calls the iPhone the fastest-selling device the company has ever seen, and claims that sales are already in the "tens of thousands" since the Friday launch. Two-thirds of these are said to be for new O2 subscribers.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The reports I heard were that the sales were sluggish, and the demand was not as high as the US.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.