Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wilbah

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
I have set up a contract with a provider BEFORE committing to a long iphone contract. I go into the said telephone store and set up some other non iphone device. Then return home and test its capability and signal strength. If it is acceptable I return the above phone for a full refund(I use it far less than the maximum 30 days. Then when the desired iphone is purchased I will expect the same performance.

Not sure this is a good test...

I'm beginning to see that while ATT is the bigger culprit, the iphone itself may play a role in what happens with dropped calls...

My service (as is well documented in these forums) at home was/is terrible.

I recently purchased the microcell, from ATT, and I can now make calls in my house!! Except, when I move exactly 20 feet away from the microcell into my kitchen, my iPhone struggles with itself to pick up the 2 bar distant tower that was the guilty party in dropping my calls... so now, in my house iPhone juggles between a 5 bar microcell and a 1-2 bar tower (which still drops calls). It also drops every call that I'm on if i leave my house during a call, or arrive at my house during a call.

I have reset the network settings on iphone, to no avail...

Before this week and the microcell experiment, I wouldnt have said this, but I honestly believe that the software that drives the phone is playing a huge part in how the phone handles tower switches, and thus is a culprit in the dropped call phenomena.

ChocolateOne

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009

I'm beginning to see that while ATT is the bigger culprit, the iphone itself may play a role in what happens with dropped calls...

I recently purchased the microcell, from ATT, and I can now make calls in my house!! Except, when I move exactly 20 feet away from the microcell into my kitchen, my iPhone struggles with itself to pick up the 2 bar distant tower that was the guilty party in dropping my calls... so now, in my house iPhone juggles between a 5 bar microcell and a 1-2 bar tower (which still drops calls). It also drops every call that I'm on if i leave my house during a call, or arrive at my house during a call.

I have reset the network settings on iphone, to no avail...

Before this week and the microcell experiment, I wouldnt have said this, but I honestly believe that the software that drives the phone is playing a huge part in how the phone handles tower switches, and thus is a culprit in the dropped call phenomena.

I agree cause my blackberry Bold 9700 never drops calls and i am everywere in the northwest.

ubersoldat

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010

it's absolutely ridiculous that you have to buy a microcell (at&t should provide you one free of charge) to get 5 bars. the technology is there as here in germany we have 5 bars (2G and 3G) without issues even in buildings with tons of armored concrete...

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
My husband has been an AT&T user for over a decade. He never experienced dropped calls until we started dating and he was talking to me (I'm on an iPhone, he is not).
Right, and during that decade there were no iPhones overloading the networks. Barely anyone used the data traffic capacity back then. With the iPhone, usage of the onboard internet browser on smartphones went up from 15% to 85%. Steve has unleashed hell and now he's poured gasoline on the whole thing by introducing the 3G iPad.

What you have now is a situation with millions of people overloading the network by utilizing their wireless devices in ways the networks won't be able to handle for at least another 5 years, and it's only going to get worse. Netbooks, iPhones, iPads, Androids... sorry, guess we'll have to discontinue voice traffic services, please go back to your land phone.

"Explosion of wireless devices causing data traffic jam"

It's not only a capacity problem, it's also a spectrum problem. AT&T could put up a dozen cell towers in a ring around your house, it ain't gonna do much about the dropped calls. The data traffic jamming is the reason for dropped calls. Voice and data are different services but it's the same network infrastructure equipment handling both services. This equipment uses dozens of different technologies to maximize capacity. Adaptive Multi Rate codecs, Cell Load Sharing, Dynamic Half-Rate Allocation, Frequency Hopping, Intra Cell Handover, DTX Discontinuous Transmission, Fractional Load Planning, Multiple Re-use Pattern... all these technologies are band-aids that milk more capacity out of the network. Each time one of these technologies kicks in during a call, there's a slight risk of the call being dropped, and this risk increases ten fold if the infrastructure is so busy with data traffic it really doesn't have the resources to manage voice traffic properly. As long as the carriers don't get more spectrum, they're stuck in this situation.

"Currently, wireless companies have 534 megahertz of spectrum allotted to them, with an additional 50 megahertz in the pipeline. The industry says it needs at least 800 megahertz more within six years to accommodate demand.

"Spectrum for us is our highway," said Christopher Guttman-McCabe, vice president of regulatory affairs for CTIA-The Wireless Association, a trade group. "But the volume of traffic is picking up. Without more lanes, we'll have more traffic and more congestion," which will result in slower service."

So who are the real culprits in this mess? Well, 1) naive carriers who introduced services the networks weren't built for (they have the technology but not the capacity for this massive volume), and 2) these customers:

"Limited spectrum is only part of the problem, experts say, though an important part. Often, slow cell service is caused by a handful of bandwidth hogs -- watching videos on their iPhones, for example -- in a small area between cell phone towers.
"You have a few users clogging up capacity -- that is not something which can be solved just by providing more spectrum
," said Aditya Kaul, director of mobile networks for ABI Research, a technology research firm."

Wanna get rid of dropped calls before 2015? Find the bandwidth hogs in your neighborhood and tell them if they don't stop using 3G like it was regular broadband, you will shoot them. Tell them it's because of them that everyone else who had an unlimited plan will soon have a capped plan, and if they don't stop, everyone will soon be on a plan where they pay by the megabyte.

Lemonsoon

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2009
I have 12 cells above my roof (loft) that were installed by att in Feb/March. Even since they put those up I am still getting dropped calls EVERYDAY. Lately 3G has also been jumping to EDGE a lot.

I can not stand ATT, this is the last company I want to work with but because of Apple I am forced to. I can not wait to see if I can grab an unlocked iphone 4 from Australia and use it here on another network. I ll even fly to australia to grab on myself. It is not a question of price as I would pay $1000 if the phone and the service was working as I expect. But dropped calls piss me off the most.

OnionMike

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
i have been dropping calls a lot lately for some reason. up until last year i have no drop call but this year i have **** load of drops. COME ON ATT!! :mad:

BettBee

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2010
They should also RUSH the micro cell to all markets immediately, and GIVE it to people! Seriously.. for the money we pay, they should GIVE the microcell away to anyone on AT&T who will take it. It will relieve pressure on their network and possibly save them from additional towers.

The device is cheap comparatively .. and we are the ones who are paying for the internet connection that it utilizes! For the nearly $6,000 I've given AT&T over the last 3 years (we have 3 iPhones on a plan) I think it's only fair they give us a service that at the very least they are trying to improve.

I would love it, and it would indeed be only fair for ATT to give the micro cell to folks who don't get decent service, but they are not concerned with fairness. Anyone who has had ATT for awhile knows that. All the [expletive deleted]s had to do was allow the service to suck where they could get away with it by stinting on towers and service, then offer the device everyone wants, but let it suck because of the terrible service. So now they come along with another bit of tech for us to pay them for, plus monthly baksheesh to make it work as it should. Brilliant effing strategy on ATT's part.

God I hate ATT.

gwfattwkr

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2009
How is it possible that AT&T still can't get this stuff together. It's ridiculous. I'm surprised Apple hasn't stepped in the fix this stuff. It's giving the iPhone a bad name.

any carrier that had the iphone on their network would have the same problem. Iphone is has the highest bandwidth consumption of any phone ever.

could ATT do more to upgrade the network, yes but it takes time.

spipenge

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Funny thing...honesty

So, there I was...two dropped calls in the span of 10 minutes. I called AT&T's "customer service". I get an actual tech support person on the phone who gives me a bit of what I have to believe was unintentional honesty. In my area of New York City, the AT&T tech person said, there were 7 towers. Three were completely out. One was experiencing 50% degradation. The AT&T "tech support" person told me that there was no date when they expected the three towers to be restored. So...it's hardly a wonder I barely have a signal in my neighborhood, I received dropped calls and the 3G network is downloading at a whopping 678kbps. Way to go AT&T.

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
So, serious question: Why do people put up with ATT?

I hear all the arguments that go back and forth: they suck, it would have happened to anyone, my service is terrible, my service is great, break exclusivity, keep exclusivity.

I own an iPod, iPad and MBP, but no iPhone. I know a lot of us LOVE our Apple products, but seriously, why don't more people talk to ATT with their dollars? If every ATT hater who owned an iPhone did not buy the next one, would that do the trick? Would that send a better message to Apple than an email to Jobs or a post on MacRumors.com? I know there have been efforts at crashing the data network and such, but wouldn't just NOT purchasing the product and NOT putting up with something you don't like be a bigger statement at the end of the day?

Chwisch87

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2008
what is the number one thing people actually use ... its the phone.

atnt here in ATL has gotten noticeably worse over the past month. It was already bad. This puts serious damper on my staying with atnt and switching over to verizon with android.

roguewave23

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
It's not the iPhone, it's AT&T's 3G network.

All you have to do is disable 3G under Settings > General > Network > Enable 3G OFF... and you will never drop calls. With 3G enabled, dropped calls happen all the time. My Blackberry (EDGE, not 3G) never drops calls, but my 3G Enabled Nokia dropped calls with the same frequency as my iPhone. All on AT&T network. Pretty easy to see that their 3G network is to blame. So when I want to talk, I turn 3G off... when I want to surf, it's on or I leave it off if I can access Wi-Fi. Bring on Verizon!! ASAP!!

gatekpr

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
It isn't the phone for me, its the service...

I jailbroke my iPhone 3GS and switched to T-mobile. I haven't had ONE dropped call since I did that in November. The edge network is a little slower, but well worth the switch. I could never use the 3G in Houston anyway. Sad, the 4th largest city in the nation and I would get 5-10 dropped calls a day. It was worse with the Blackberry Bold--you can't turn off the 3G, so it would drop incessantly.

I'm excited about the iPhone 4, my sources tell me they already have a jailbreak for it. I'm excited!

johnntd

macrumors member
May 22, 2009
Same experience here

I still believe its just where you are at in the country. This graph is the exact opposite of what I experience. Verizon work phone - *****. Dropped calls so bad I forwarded the number to my iPhone. AT&T personal phone - no dropped calls.

I used to have Verizon and it was so unreliable! We had 5 phones at home and not a single one was able to maintain a phone call without being dropped constantly. We switched two members of our family to AT&T and it has been awesome since then. IMO, AT&T network is so much faster and absolutely more reliable than Verizon. We will switch the rest to AT&T by November when the contracts end.

red0n

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2009
I have never had a single call dropped. Here in Orlando I get full service and data speeds of about 450Kb p/s!

Haha

csjo00

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
Arkansas
Only time I've ever had a dropped call with AT&T is when the Wakarusa people come in to the area.

(Wakarusa is a huge festival 10 miles from where I live that increases the population of our county of ~8,000 to close to ~30,000. And it kills cell service.)

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
I completely understand it's not the device...

However, you are unfortunately stuck in the position that if you buy the device, you are buying ATT service. As long as this continues to happen, then Apple really doesn't have any incentive to move it to other carriers. I mean, technically they do, but if there are service complaints, yet the very same people who complain still continue to purchase the new one ever year, then that's not sending a very strong message, in my opinion.

Wetapples

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
I find this topic to be really interesting I have called the AT&T service department enough times they said there is nothing they can do to fix the problem and recomended that I look into porting my number and changing providers!! AT&T has me cornered though because the next best option is verizon and they do not carry the iPhone!!! Please Steve Jobs divorce at&t they are doing very little to promote your product image! I know there are thousands like me who would drop AT&T in a heart beat if another company aquired the iPhone!!

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
All I can say is AT&T in my area far better than Verizon here in San Antonio. Not saying they don't have their problems, but Verizon doesnt allow you to talk and use the web at same time, which Im sure helps some in the traffic thats on the network.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
So, serious question: Why do people put up with ATT?

I hear all the arguments that go back and forth: they suck, it would have happened to anyone, my service is terrible, my service is great, break exclusivity, keep exclusivity.

I own an iPod, iPad and MBP, but no iPhone. I know a lot of us LOVE our Apple products, but seriously, why don't more people talk to ATT with their dollars? If every ATT hater who owned an iPhone did not buy the next one, would that do the trick? Would that send a better message to Apple than an email to Jobs or a post on MacRumors.com? I know there have been efforts at crashing the data network and such, but wouldn't just NOT purchasing the product and NOT putting up with something you don't like be a bigger statement at the end of the day?

I'm not sure. I'd think we'd have to see a survey of AT&T customers of who is happy vs. who is not. I think you hear a lot from the people who are unhappy, but very little from those that are. Not to mention there are probably a lot of people out there that just don't think it important enough to put voice to their concerns (they either decide it's not worth it and leave or they stay either cause they don't mind the service or the iphone is worth it or simply never experienced anything else so don't realize there is anything to improve <- I might be in this boat but I honestly have never seen a reason to leave AT&T. I've always had good customer service with them, don't have a complaint about the coverage, and the price is right. Only other carrier I have had experience with was when my parents had Sprint which has for at least 10 years biased me against them).

I mean, I wouldn't have gotten the iphone if it wasn't on AT&T (or most likely wouldn't). When I was looking for a phone, while I was slightly open to the idea of changing carriers if I found a phone I really wanted on another one, my preference was to not leave AT&T as I had no reason to leave (besides phones offered).

I'm sure people already vote with their dollars. Either the service is so bad the phone isn't worth it (or AT&T doesn't even offer a phone they like or some one else has exactly what htey want) or they're happy with the service and can find a phone that is satisfactory to them (or like it so much they just grumble a little about phone availability but stay anyways). No one is forced to be on AT&T cause AT&T has the iphone. They are forced to make a decision on whether the iphone is worth it or not.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
goobot said:
I blame the iphone. Its a hog and kills atts network. If it was a diff phone this wount be happening. Apple needs to make it work with the network better.

Not sure what's going on with AT&T. I've carried another (not an iPhone) phone around with me for 2 days. My 3GS iPhone consistently has either no bars or fluctuating low bars while the other AT&T phone gets strong signals in the same area. The other phone does not access the 3G network though. AT&T has been no help.. Apple suggested that I replace my sim card so I'll see if that helps with signal strength and dropped calls.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
The perfect solution would be for apple to give all US carriers the Iphone. Then we can go and pick the network that works best. People that like At&t stay with At&t, if you want Verizon or t-mobile then go, that way we all live happy. It’s your call Apple :apple: we customers deserve to choose our carrier for our iphone.

I agree ;)

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
WiiDSmoker said:
I'm not letting AT&T off easily, but I still argue that half of the problem is the iPhone itself. When I'm the only person with an iPhone and everyone else around me is on old cell phones on the same network and they have 5 bars and I have no signal, there's a problem.

Are those other phones accessing the 3G network? I carried a non 3G network AT&T phone around with me and experienced none of the signal problems I had with my iPhone in the same areas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.