AT&T Deactivating 'View My Message' Service for iPhone Users Ahead of MMS Launch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 22, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Several AT&T iPhone users have reported today receiving text messages from the wireless carrier informing them that the company's View My Message workaround for receiving multimedia messages will be deactivated as accounts are prepared for MMS activation on September 25th.
    The View My Message service has been viewed by many as an inconsistent service that offers an awkward experience for users. Consequently, the addition of full MMS support from AT&T has been a highly anticipated addition for many iPhone users in the United States.

Article Link: AT&T Deactivating 'View My Message' Service for iPhone Users Ahead of MMS Launch

2. macrumors G5

jav6454

3. macrumors G5

yg17

Fixed that for you.

4. macrumors G5

jav6454

Thank you, it seems caffeine can't keep me up to speed.

5. macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I never even got viewmymessage texts it didn't work at all.

6. macrumors G5

jav6454

Like the article said, it was a weird service. It only worked for me twice out of God knows how many MMS I got.

7. macrumors newbie

mudads

Never worked for me either. And I didn't get this text either! Oh no! :D

Looking forward to Friday for sure!

8. macrumors 65816

Aldaris

It was a ridiculous 'workaround' if that even classifies.

It sometimes took up to an hour for my user name password to work, dumb service, and being turned off prematurely if you ask me. They should wait until the 27th or October 1.

But hey the death star will do what the death star will do.

9. macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Next you'll get a bubble saying "Your At&t Account is set up for MMS! You can use this new exciting feature September 25, at 11:59 P.M. Pacific Time";)

10. macrumors regular

11. macrumors newbie

yea.. that service never worked for me either.. I had all three iphones ver.. and I have now moved away from ATT.. Oh well

12. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

While we prepare to give you what you should have had all along, we will also take away any possibility of you getting any MMS.

BTW I never get any of these AT&T messages. :D

13. macrumors P6

-aggie-

It'll probably start working now that they're going to turn it off.

14. macrumors member

So... ummmm... what does this mean for 1st gen. iPhone owners who supposedly can't do MMS either?

15. macrumors newbie

Didn't Sprint do this?

I never got a "viewmymessage" message, but it seems to me that this is the way MMS ALWAYS worked regardless of phone on Sprint. I remember never actually getting an MMS message, but got plenty of "Such-and-such sent you PictureMailTM" messages whenever someone would send me a pic.

16. macrumors newbie

My havent worked for almost a year.

I used to get the view my message notifications but about a year ago they just stopped coming and people would say they sent me a picture but I would never get any messages. It was annoying at first but then I got used to it and thought that they turned it off for everyone. I wish they would have at least sent me a notification stating that they were turning mine off but no matter since MMS messaging is coming soon enough.

17. macrumors newbie

So considering the MMS feature won't be supported on the original iPhone, and they are turning off "view my message", I guess I REALLY REALLY won't be able to send any photos. Not that "view my message" ever worked well anyways.

18. macrumors P6

Peace

If they're turning off "view my message" how are people seeing the message sent to them by AT&T without actually opening up the message app ?
    :confused:

19. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

People who complain about the surplus of MMS related posts on this website are even more annoying than the MMS posts themselves.

PS. Can't wait till Friday ;)

20. macrumors 6502

CaryMacGuy

AT&T = All Trouble and Time-Wasting. That was something that Brian Cooley said a while ago and it is trouble. Verizon is really where its at...once they get the iPhone, I will be switching back. However, they better improve the VCast video quality by then.

21. macrumors 68020

spillproof

I forgot all about this service.

Say what? I think you are confused, or I do not understand your humor.

22. macrumors 65816

sishaw

Because the AT&T message is text. "View my message" was only for pictures. Text messaging isn't affected. Wait, was this a joke?

23. macrumors newbie

was always crap

worst 'feature' I've ever had to endure. AT&T will have to floor me to keep their "service" for the next 20 months....I count down the days. by then Verizon or hell, I'll take T-mobile if I have to. A-n-y-o-n-e else if only to complain about different saddle sores.

24. macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

What wil Original iPhone owners do then?
    They won't have View my messages, then there screwed.

25. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Ooh! This is a very good point. I hadn't really thought about it. Now I'm curious, too, even though I've upgraded.