AT&T Drops Refurbished iPhone 3G Prices to As Low As $49

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 25, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced that it has dropped prices on its stocks of refurbished iPhone 3G models while supplies last. Pricing is now set at $49 for 8 GB models and $99 for 16 GB models in both black and white.
    The move comes as many AT&T iPhone customers anxiously await the launch of MMS functionality for the iPhone in the U.S.

Article Link: AT&T Drops Refurbished iPhone 3G Prices to As Low As $49
  2. macrumors 65816

Sep 25, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I'm in Florida and still haven't gotten any notification on MMS...anyone have it working yet?
  3. macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

Jun 17, 2009
    --Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    Oh good, now all the little High school kids can have one. :cool:

.....and drop, and break it in one day:D
  4. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Q Division, Los Angeles
    How long before they come inside specially marked cereal boxes?
  5. macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

Jun 17, 2009
    --Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    That was the REAL reason I was checking the iPhone tab, nope not me.

Are you surprised?
  6. macrumors 601

Nov 19, 2007
    Georgia, USA
  7. macrumors member

Sep 11, 2008
    I'd love to move up to a 3G (or even 3Gs) phone from my current iPhone, but just don't want to spend the extra $15 a month for the data plan and messaging.

I know AT&T will never charge less for data with all the usage going on, but it would be nice if they could implement a tiered dataplan approach with different price-points.
  8. macrumors G5

Nov 14, 2007
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    An iPhone 3G now has gone technological marvel to comes inside every marked box of X or in a Pepsi give away.
  9. macrumors 65816

Sep 25, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    #9 much for the iPhone being a device for the elite! ;)

In another two years, the iPhone will have gone the way of the Motorola Rzr and anyone and everyone will have one and they'll be handed out for free with the purchase of a plan, in your local Wireless Store that used to be a 7-11 or liquor store.
  10. macrumors newbie

Sep 17, 2009
    Los Angeles
    that's nice, but it doesn't apply to all...

Too bad that price doesn't apply to anything else, but a new contract... at which point, why would I want a refurbished phone?

Being what I would call a "faithful" (9 years) customer to AT&T I was recently turned off by their methods of trying to sell me a new iPhone when my 3G stopped working properly.

The touch screen simply turned white at times, and while the rest of the phone was working fine... there was a 50/50 chance that I would get a white screen on my phone. Having the new 3GS side by side with the "white screen" 3G I was able to dial and swipe to answer calls (yes memorizing the position of the buttons as well as having a spare phone helped a lot!) AT&T was so set on selling me a new set ($599) that all the pleas and navigating to websites where it clearly states that refurbs at the time are priced at $99... I was just a few (3) weeks short of my contract renewal... I stormed out... Apple store in Manhattan Beach replaced the phone in under 10 minutes no questions asked (of course they did check for water damage which was not present)

Bottom line - what's the price drop good for??? If you have problems with your iphone, even though at times crowded, visit your Apple store... chances are your problem will be taken care of. As far as AT&T I'm just not sure about the whole pricing methods. I am a faithful customer on auto-pay many times I endured AT&T's billing errors (in their favor of course and had to wait 30 days to refund my money for billing twice)... my begging for the refurb phone did nothing, and the "let's expedite your contract for $18 online" did not apply in the local store... lower the prices of any phone all you want... this may mean absolutely nothing to some of us.
  11. macrumors 65816

Mar 17, 2009
    Fido/Rogers in Canada already sells the iPhone 3G refurbished at $49 CAD :p
  12. macrumors 68020

Aug 16, 2007
    i dont see how this is news... they have had 8GBs for months now... bought my wife a refurbed 8GB from at&t's site for $49
  13. macrumors 65816

Aug 26, 2008
    I'm waiting for the $99 8Gb 3GS rumor to be fulfilled.
  14. macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    Waiting to hear that rumor.
  15. macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    This is nice and all, but it doesn't really affect the real cost of ownership. To do that, they need to offer a smaller data plan. If they offered a "lite" plan at $10 or 15 a month, I'd be all over that. I don't need much because I'm in Wifiland 90% of the time, and I'd love to get rid of my Razr.
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jun 1, 2004
    Yeah, I'm sure they were all holding out for that big drop from $2260 to $2210. :rolleyes:
  17. macrumors 65816

Jul 22, 2007
    Utica, NY
    Exactly the same here - I'll renew a contract on my first gen iPhone if it means keeping the lower data plan. I refuse to pay $15 more for service I already get on an equal phone. Just because it's 3G - that's the excuse for being more. Excuse me though, aren't all phones eventually going to be 3G when Edge is dead? Will it still be $10 more across the board then?...
  18. macrumors 68020

Jun 4, 2009
    So you can essentially get an 8GB iPod touch with mic! for $49 and deal with the slightly bigger body vs $199. Not bad at all.

Reppin' the 5 6 Ace! (and 813). Nothin yet my friend.
  19. macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2008
    there is a way to upgrade to the 3gs and not pay the extra in data plan charges.

if you still have ur 2g iphone that is.

just upgrade to 3g iphone, call back in and tell them you decided to stick with your 2g iphone and want to go back to the 20$ with 200 txt msg data plan, and just keep using it on the 3g, you'll have access to 3g and all of that jazz
  20. macrumors member

Feb 27, 2008
    But you won't be able to do any MMS. This was already confirmed.
  21. macrumors 6502

Jul 10, 2007

Strange that they just announced this...I bought one for $49 about 3 weeks ago? AT&T is so current.
  22. macrumors newbie

Aug 17, 2008
    refurbish iphone price drop

Good news, but will you need a new or extended contract to get the 49.00 price, Or can you purchase the refurbish iPhone outright?
  23. macrumors member

Sep 14, 2007
    I look forward to the the day that iPhone is that popular. Increase that market share and the more and more apps and accessories that are built for it. I could care less of it being a status symbol. I love it because its functionality is the best out there.
  24. macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2008
    i'm sure the 10 dollar savings a month outweighs the MMS feature by far...

and i'm sure there are 3rd party apps from the store that will let u do MMS or something along those lines.
  25. macrumors 65816

Nov 26, 2008
    California, USA
    Read the fine print. AT&T requires you to sign a two-year contract. So, in reality, when you "buy" that $49 phone, you are entering into a binding legal contract with AT&T's attorneys for $69.99 per month for two years. There's a catch to everything. This one is "AT&T style."