Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitkit201

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
Hi folks,

I hardly post here, but it's usually around htis time is when I post. I dialed *637# (new) to see if I am eligible for an early upgrade. As of today it states ..

"A Full discount on a standard device or iphone upgrade is not availble at this time, but you may quality on 05/24/2013. We can offer you a discounted iPHone upgrade at 2-year commitment pricing + $250 along with a new 2-year commitment and an $36 upgrade fee."

I take that message as the current iphone 4s can be obtained for $199 + $250 (early upgrade) + $36 upgrade .

I bought the iphone 4s about 3 weeks after it came out so it's rather odd that see an upgrade date of 05/24/2013. I pay easily $150 a month for 3 lines (mine being primary line).

I remember AT&T was always generous with early upgrades where they would give me an upgrade as if i was out of contract.

So my question is

Do i need to keep my iphone 4 to be a 'new' eligiblity or can I try Android OS while I wait for the iPhone 5 to come out?

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Hi folks,

I hardly post here, but it's usually around htis time is when I post. I dialed *637# (new) to see if I am eligible for an early upgrade. As of today it states ..

"A Full discount on a standard device or iphone upgrade is not availble at this time, but you may quality on 05/24/2013. We can offer you a discounted iPHone upgrade at 2-year commitment pricing + $250 along with a new 2-year commitment and an $36 upgrade fee."

I take that message as the current iphone 4s can be obtained for $199 + $250 (early upgrade) + $36 upgrade .

I bought the iphone 4s about 3 weeks after it came out so it's rather odd that see an upgrade date of 05/24/2013. I pay easily $150 a month for 3 lines (mine being primary line).

I remember AT&T was always generous with early upgrades where they would give me an upgrade as if i was out of contract.

So my question is

Do i need to keep my iphone 4 to be a 'new' eligiblity or can I try Android OS while I wait for the iPhone 5 to come out?

yeah im in the same boat, confused. I got my ip4s on launch did an early upgrade last year, 200+250, so i assumed i could do an early upgrade 1 year in, just like i did last year. But its telling me the the same i have to wait till may. 1.5 years into my contract.
Im better off just canceling my line, for $210 lol and taking out a new contract.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I'm in the same boat as you (my upgrade is a day before). Anyway, you can use any phone. I traded my 4S for One X, using it until the new iPhone comes out.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Hi folks,

So my question is

You could try out android and when the 5 comes out still by the 5 at the subsidized price. You would have to pay full price for the android phone though.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
ATT changed their upgrade policy for iPhones after the 4S launch. Instead of a year like it was in the past, it's now 20 months like other upgrade options.

kitkit201

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2004
I'm in the same boat as you (my upgrade is a day before). Anyway, you can use any phone. I traded my 4S for One X, using it until the new iPhone comes out.

I see. > That's a good thing to know. I always thought it was iPhone dependent to be eligible, but it seems it's only dependent on the contract you have..

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
At least they still offer an early upgrade pricing that's better than paying full price. I may use my early upgrade and then sell my 4S to offer the early upgrade pricing.

al0513

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2011
Mine says the same thing right now - I'm going to check again after the phone is launched. If it is still the same, first few months sales for the 5 will be horrible.

HighTopFade

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Daly City
Like a few of you, I'm not eligible until 5/2013. My son is on the same family plan and his phone is eligible for an upgrade. Will it be as simple as upgrading his phone, switch SIMMs, trade phones, and WooHoo I have a new iPhone?

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Like a few of you, I'm not eligible until 5/2013. My son is on the same family plan and his phone is eligible for an upgrade. Will it be as simple as upgrading his phone, switch SIMMs, trade phones, and WooHoo I have a new iPhone?

They can do a cross upgrade and not even have to switch sims. You will just use his line for the subsidize pricing...

----------

I see. > That's a good thing to know. I always thought it was iPhone dependent to be eligible, but it seems it's only dependent on the contract you have..

It changed about a year ago, every customer has to wait until they have completed 20 months of the contract no matter how high the rate plan is or if you are the primary number. The iPhone kills margin and allowing customers early upgrades has come back to hurt att since they are not the sole provider of the iphone. You can sell that 4s and basically break even with the purchase of the new phone.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
They can do a cross upgrade and not even have to switch sims. You will just use his line for the subsidize pricing...

----------

It changed about a year ago, every customer has to wait until they have completed 20 months of the contract no matter how high the rate plan is or if you are the primary number. The iPhone kills margin and allowing customers early upgrades has come back to hurt att since they are not the sole provider of the iphone. You can sell that 4s and basically break even with the purchase of the new phone.

People said this with the release of the 4 as well, that AT&T changed their policy to end the year-to-year iPhone upgraders getting the full discount, but I ended up getting the full discount again on my 4S, since I've bought every phone on launch day since the first one. Is there anywhere that confirms this has actually changed?

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
People said this with the release of the 4 as well, that AT&T changed their policy to end the year-to-year iPhone upgraders getting the full discount, but I ended up getting the full discount again on my 4S, since I've bought every phone on launch day since the first one. Is there anywhere that confirms this has actually changed?

Google it and you will find plenty of articles and that verifies it.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

AT&T quietly got rid of 12 month upgrades in the Spring 2011. I knew about this policy as early as April 2011. It was all over the other blog sites like Howard forums.

People who had upgraded to the iPhone 4 in June 2010 were "grandfathers" into getting one last upgrade at the 12 month full subsidy pricing aka $199 price point. It's just that 80-90% of people eligible for that one last upgrade wanted to wait for the 5th gen iPhone (iPhone 4s).

So many people are going to realize they have to wait a full 18-20 months regardless of how much their first line generates.

There are no more early full subsidy upgrades with ANY of the carriers sprint Verizon AT&T anymore.

Believe it. This has always been a perk and not a right to upgrade every 12 months.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
AT&T quietly got rid of 12 month upgrades in the Spring 2011. I knew about this policy as early as April 2011. It was all over the other blog sites like Howard forums.

People who had upgraded to the iPhone 4 in June 2010 were "grandfathers" into getting one last upgrade at the 12 month full subsidy pricing aka $199 price point. It's just that 80-90% of people eligible for that one last upgrade wanted to wait for the 5th gen iPhone (iPhone 4s).

So many people are going to realize they have to wait a full 18-20 months regardless of how much their first line generates.

There are no more early full subsidy upgrades with ANY of the carriers sprint Verizon AT&T anymore.

Believe it. This has always been a perk and not a right to upgrade every 12 months.

Well said.
Not looking forward to next month where everyone will be whining about how AT&T or Apple screwed them and is not fair not letting them get the new iphone at full upgrade price and all this other complaining.
The sense of entitlement will be crazy:D

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Well said.
Not looking forward to next month where everyone will be whining about how AT&T or Apple screwed them and is not fair not letting them get the new iphone at full upgrade price and all this other complaining.
The sense of entitlement will be crazy:D

Looks like its time to smash my phone, use an AppleCare+ repair and sell a perfect condition 64GB iPhone 4S then :)

AtlasBoy

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2009
The World
AT&T has been giving me a full upgrade every time a new iPhone has come out including last year for the 4S. Their website was updated a few days before orders were to start. I was not notified I had to look to see it. Mine now has a date in May 2013 like everyone else and I'm not counting on them changing it. But I will look again when oders open up just in case. If not, I'll wait until May 2013 as I love my 4S. I seem to remember a thread on here where other people said they got it for the 4S too.

EDIT: Here's the link to last years thread. It seems people had mixed results in getting their date moved.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1238893/

Last edited:

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
If you call them up after you upgrade they will waive the fee. Just sound surprised and be polite and tell them how good a customer you are.

And for the upgrade if your really good you can get them to discount it with some very persuasive talking. You really just need to go on politely about your commitment to the company and how you upgrade every year and your not likely to switch to Verizon anytime soon even though they have some good offers out there. They hate that part but they can change the upgrade eligibility with a good reason.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
i got my 4s a week or so after release and my line is currently showing no discount but a discount in 5/2013 like others. Yet one of my other lines that we purchased a 4s on in december of last year is eligible for an early upgrade starting at $449. My main line which last got an upgrade about a year ago is eligible for a full upgrade in december of this year and the $449 price right now

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
I also bought mine on launch day. Here is what mine says.

You may select equipment at our full retail pricing. An upgrade may be available on 05/08/2013.

I also upgrade every year with some type of discount, not this year, I have to pay the full price. I called AT&T, with no luck what-so-ever. I'm hoping to try and get some type of discount, but it doesn't look good. I've been with them since it was Cell One, then Cingular, now AT&T. I think I started back in 93 or 94.

Thanks, Jerry

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I am eligible for early upgrade pricing which is basically $449 for the 16GB "new iPhone." If $199 is the standard price that full upgrade eligbility would provide, I can beat that by selling my 4S on Craigslist the same day for anywhere between $275-$350 depending on how stubborn I want to be.

Net cost of upgrade is as follows:

New iPhone = $449 (+ MA state sales tax of 6.25% = $477)
Upgrade Fee = $36
Total Cost = $513

Sale of iPhone 4S = $315

Net cost of upgrade = $198 (1 dollar less than the new contract price:D)

Lyons00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
Bay Area, California
I also bought mine on launch day. Here is what mine says.

You may select equipment at our full retail pricing. An upgrade may be available on 05/08/2013.

I also upgrade every year with some type of discount, not this year, I have to pay the full price. I called AT&T, with no luck what-so-ever. I'm hoping to try and get some type of discount, but it doesn't look good. I've been with them since it was Cell One, then Cingular, now AT&T. I think I started back in 93 or 94.

Thanks, Jerry

Update!!
Just went by my local AT&T store and they have me down for early upgrade pricing 199 plus 250. But if I go online or check my phone is still says full retail pricing. I'm confused now!! Does this mean i have to order from the store? I normally order online from Apple.

Thanks, Jerry

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
i got my 4s a week or so after release and my line is currently showing no discount but a discount in 5/2013 like others. Yet one of my other lines that we purchased a 4s on in december of last year is eligible for an early upgrade starting at $449. My main line which last got an upgrade about a year ago is eligible for a full upgrade in december of this year and the $449 price right now

this is the same thing that happened to me. My line no discount and my other line which was purchased after will get the 450 price. So I will do as I said above and call to have them change it.

apple site telling me I get the 450 pricing on my phone after November 8th of this year.

gmhag

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
I am eligible for early upgrade pricing which is basically $449 for the 16GB "new iPhone." If $199 is the standard price that full upgrade eligbility would provide, I can beat that by selling my 4S on Craigslist the same day for anywhere between $275-$350 depending on how stubborn I want to be.

Net cost of upgrade is as follows:

New iPhone = $449 (+ MA state sales tax of 6.25% = $477)
Upgrade Fee = $36
Total Cost = $513

Sale of iPhone 4S = $315

Net cost of upgrade = $198 (1 dollar less than the new contract price:D)

Apple will give you $285 for a 16GB 4S through their Reuse/Recycle program. Might be worth it not to have to deal with Craigslist.

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine

Can a cross upgrade be done with a pre-order? Do I have to set it up with AT&T ahead of time? Will the new iPhone (5) have a yet smaller sim, so wouldn't swapping sims be an issue without doing a cross upgrade?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.