AT&T engineer: NSA built secret rooms in our facilities

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Apr 12, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Caught this post over at ArsTechnica today. It supports my theory that this "Terrorist Surveillance Program" is much more of a data-mining operation than targeted surveillance.
    We'll probably hear more about this kind of stuff as the EFF case wends it's way forward. Dollars to donuts, the NSA was dipping into the conversations of regular Americans without any kind of warrant.

On a related note, those Narus machines sound badass... The techie in me is impressed.

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I agree that we're sure to hear and learn more of this over time. What's surprising is that the current map of NSA Octopus doesn't include the Miami area.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if my domestic phonecalls are not analyzed by computer, and haven't been for at least a few years, then color me surprised.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Attention George Bush, Dick Cheney and the NSA: DO NOT PROTECT ME. I do not want you logging every e-mail I send, recording every debit card swipe I perform, and cataloguing every library book I borrow. You say you are doing this for my own good. I say, don't do me any favors. I'll take my chances with the terrorists; they're less pervasive. I figure I have a one in a million chance of being hurt or killed by terrorists, but a 1-in-1 chance of becoming the subject of a police state. I like my odds with the terrorists, thank you.

5. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, same here. The technology is certainly there. Would be nice if the government would admit it though.

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't understand why more Republicans don't have a problem with this. It goes against everything they supposedly stand for. Wonder how they'd feel if the pres had a (D) next to him name.

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

Republicans seem to be increasingly for things they're against these days.

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, what are they... Democrats? :p

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I could care less if someone was listening to my phone calls... They'd just get bored and disconnect after 5 minutes anyway. :eek:

10. aquajet macrumors 68020

You really should care, EricNau. It's indifference such as yours that's leading to the fulfillment George Orwell's prophecies.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

"that lou reed concert was the bomb. he played five songs from his album New York".

*ding!*

your file just got a little thicker. it's not humans listening in, it's software that picks out words and phrases and flags you. it doesn't get "bored".

echelon

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

How exactly?

Thank God I don't speak like that. :p

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes. god forbid you'd actually wonder how a democracy sustains itself.

14. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Own a gun?

Could you care less if your house or apartment got searched without your knowledge?

Care if your business rivals got access to your financial statements?

Or what if government priorities change, and suddenly things you do are of interest to the government?

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's not just your phone but your email and surfing habits as well. What have you googled in the past year? Anything remotely related to Iraq or Islam or..... How many people are on the don't fly list that shouldn't be there?

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My sister is one of those that gets "randomly" searched everytime she flys. Not hard to understand why....she was very active with the ACLU and anti-war groups in college. At least that's the only reason she can come up with because we're not from the middle east, and being a law student, she doesn't exactly look suspicious either. Sometimes what the govt can do is disgusting

17. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

I'm with ya .. Quit the secret data digging that the public already knows ..:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

doesn't take a frackin 2yrs to get wire-tap .. Only a few hours after the 3rd day of taping that you need go the courts for the warrant to continue the tap :confused: :confused:

18. aquajet macrumors 68020

If you're fine with your government surveilling you 24/7, maintaining a file on you to determine whether or not you're guilt of thoughtcrime; reducing the War on Terror to a matter of black and white, labeling you unpatriotic if you don't agree; concentration camps for the purpose of "national security," built by none other than America's favorite corporation, Halliburton; the recent declaration of the War on Terror as "The Long War," thus officially creating the Ministry of Peace; the Ministry of Love at Abu Ghriab; and other dystopian garbage, then you've got it made. But must of us don't want to live in a world like this. And as long as you think the way you do, Big Brother will never die.

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I've always voted Republican and have never been involved with the ACLU or anti-war groups (present company excluded of course). I get randomly selected by airport security so often that it's become a kind of joke between my wife and me.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I've been involved with the ACLU for a long time and have never been given any trouble at airport security. I get waved right through every time.

I don't understand why exactly involvement with the ACLU would warrant suspicion or even the expectation of suspicion from the government. As if anyone who supported an organisation that defends the Bill of Rights through legal action would also likely be an America-hating terrorist bomber.

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I love how people always categorize others into the "black & white" of either republican or democrat. You automatically assume if I feel it is OK for the government to listen to my phone calls, I also believe in the War of Terror, the way prisoners were treated at Abu Ghriab, and everything else the Bush Administration stands for; which is not true.
    You took something I said and turned it into something totally different, just like you say our government is doing.

It can be summed up as "If you haven't anything to hide, you need not worry."

...And what does it matter if the government is spying on you and has "your secret file"? Get over the fact that someone might know your dirty little secrets, and really it's not a big problem. Unless of course one day the whisk you away to one of the concentration camps you speak of. :rolleyes:

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I always thought it was "I haven't anything to hide so they shouldn't be looking."

23. aquajet macrumors 68020

I apologize; I didn't intend to suggest you believe all those things. I was merely trying to illustrate how events today fit into the context of Orwell's warnings.

And isn't that exactly your point...

It matters to me because it's not any of their ****ing business.

24. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Ya, I was summing up my point. :)

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I like that turn-of-phrase.

Another one I've heard that I like is a variation on the old "America, love it or leave it" phrase: "America: change it or lose it." :)