Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloyd S

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2016
dilbert99 said:
"wheres the catch? No company can offer an iPhone for free, you must be paying for it somewhere along the line?"

Then JeffyTheQuik said:
"You must stay with AT&T for 30 months. If you cancel, so does the rebate. Also, if you have AT&T Next, you still owe the balance on the phone.
So, I'm betting this is just another flavor of "get a phone for $199 with a 2 year contract" where they make up the subsidy over 30 months. If you quit, no worries on them. They get their money, and you don't get the remainder of the rebate."

Wise words those.

We used to be out of our contract in 2 years and paid a smaller amount, sometimes nothing, for the phones. Now, with this "deal", we pay full price for one phone (making the cost of each about $347.50) and are, more of less, locked into AT&T for 2 1/2 years. And that's a deal? Sounds more like a scam to me.

Somehow AT&T has gotten us to believe that it's a sweet deal to pay more for our phones and be pretty much locked into AT&T for a longer period of time than we had been!

And here's another tidbit pointed out to me by garylapointe over at the AT&T forums, which I guess should have been obvious, but just didn't initially register with me:

"Keep in mind that [websites that hype these "deals"] make money for sending you over to AT&T. Click their links (at least the first one and the last one you linked to), they very quickly redirect through linksynergy.com (you have to watch very quickly) who pays them referral fees, they are actually making money for sending you over there (and possibly more if you actually buy). They have more of an incentive to lie to you than the reps that run the chat."

So beware. Even if it's companies like AT&T that usually make 3 billion in pure profit every quarter, their greed has no limits, and thus they are still looking to "get you", one way or another. Kinda reminds me of a George Carlin routine where he pictures big corporations coming up from behind you and................

Moorepheus

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Niagara Falls, NY
dilbert99 said:
"wheres the catch? No company can offer an iPhone for free, you must be paying for it somewhere along the line?"

Then JeffyTheQuik said:
"You must stay with AT&T for 30 months. If you cancel, so does the rebate. Also, if you have AT&T Next, you still owe the balance on the phone.
So, I'm betting this is just another flavor of "get a phone for $199 with a 2 year contract" where they make up the subsidy over 30 months. If you quit, no worries on them. They get their money, and you don't get the remainder of the rebate."

Wise words those.

We used to be out of our contract in 2 years and paid a smaller amount, sometimes nothing, for the phones. Now, with this "deal", we pay full price for one phone (making the cost of each about $347.50) and are, more of less, locked into AT&T for 2 1/2 years. And that's a deal? Sounds more like a scam to me.

Somehow AT&T has gotten us to believe that it's a sweet deal to pay more for our phones and be pretty much locked into AT&T for a longer period of time than we had been!

And here's another tidbit pointed out to me by garylapointe over at the AT&T forums, which I guess should have been obvious, but just didn't initially register with me:

"Keep in mind that [websites that hype these "deals"] make money for sending you over to AT&T. Click their links (at least the first one and the last one you linked to), they very quickly redirect through linksynergy.com (you have to watch very quickly) who pays them referral fees, they are actually making money for sending you over there (and possibly more if you actually buy). They have more of an incentive to lie to you than the reps that run the chat."

So beware. Even if it's companies like AT&T that usually make 3 billion in pure profit every quarter, their greed has no limits, and thus they are still looking to "get you", one way or another. Kinda reminds me of a George Carlin routine where he pictures big corporations coming up from behind you and................

First, in order to get the iPhone on the AT&T NEXT plan, you have to subcribe to a plan that allows it, in which you will receive upto $25 rebate per line that is Bring your own Phone or On the NEXT plan. In fact, switching my family (5 phones at the time, all off contract) saved me over $150 a month when I switched to a NEXT qualifing plan.

Second, when you use to get these phones subsidized via AT&T, you were still paying for them, you just didn't see it. It was added into the cost of your CONTRACT. I have gone over the calculations over and over again, the NEXT plan is a good deal, and in some cases can be lower then a ON CONTRACT plan over the course of the payments and then way better if you keep your phone longer than 2 years. Under the old ON CONTRACT plans, once your on contract was up, you still paid the higher fees for your service, were as under the NEXT PLAN, when I am done paying for the phone, I now have that money in my pocket.

Thrid, I will agree that there is greed when it comes to all corporations. I think it is rediculous the amout it cost to access the internet and then having to deal with overages. Overages with Data is no different then Exceeding your CC limit and they charge you $15 to do it. However, unlike cc companys, AT&T will charge you $15 for each 1GB over, now that's high way robbery.

Take it for what it is.

Lloyd S

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2016
I stand corrected. Moorepheus is right. I hadn't included the rebate per line in my calculations, a significant oversight.

I will say though that I'm not so sure I'd depend on those credits lasting, though admittedly they have from the beginning of the Next program. Still, I'm gonna guess that they will dry up one day and we'll all just reason that we're happy that we got them for a while, instead of remembering that they were the reason that we didn't freak out at a huge price increase.

Reactions: Moorepheus

horseladyy

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2016

ATT-iPhone-6s-250x161.jpg
AT&T has announced that its "Buy One Get One Free" promotion for iPhones and select other smartphones is now available again for both new and existing customers.

The limited time offer requires both smartphones to be purchased on AT&T Next with a qualifying plan. The first device can be a new line or an upgrade, while the second device must be a new line and purchased on AT&T Next 24.

After three bill cycles or less, AT&T said customers will start to receive up to $650 in bill credits spread out over 30 monthly payments. The first payment will be a lump sum of any AT&T Next payments to that date. Tax is still due on both smartphones, which must be from the same manufacturer, upon purchase.

Last month, T-Mobile announced a similar "BOGO" promotion that offers qualifying Simple Choice customers half off all iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus models, or any iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, with the purchase of another iPhone of equal or greater value. The savings are applied instantly at the point of sale.

Article Link: AT&T Expands 'Buy One Get One Free' iPhone Deal to New Customers

horseladyy

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2016
I have been waiting SIX (6) MONTHS to get my Buy One Get one iphone free credit from AT&T!!! I made my purchase back on February 20th, 2016 today is August 5th, my newest bill just came today, I have STILL NOT RECEIVED A DIME! I have been on the phone with AT&T Customer Service, and AT&T Accounts Managers MANY TIMES, I have spent COUNTLESS HOURS on the phone with them I've been in AT&T store and I have been assigned a CASE NUMBER, still no credits!I just continue to be fed LIES by AT&T Customer Service and Account Managers that I will see this credit in my next billing cycle! It has been WAY TOO LONG and I am TOTALLY FED UP with AT&T! I made my LAST CALL to them today, a customer should NOT have to go to these extremes to get something that is promised to them and advertised, I will be taking this is the next level and leaving AT&T.I have 5 lines on my account and paying $320 a month, I deserve and EXPLANATION, but since I'm not getting one, I know Verizon Wireless would love to receive my business!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.