AT&T iPhone 4S replacement unlocked out of the box

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dnkbro, Nov 5, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I purchased an iPhone 4S last year on release date as an upgrade on my AT&T line. A month ago I was having issues with the phone so I got a warranty replacement at the apple store. I work at T-Mobile and was playing around with my phone today and I put a T-Mobile microsim in the phone and it worked. Has anyone else experienced this? A search on macrumors says that apple gives like for like but mine is unlocked.

2. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Doesn't usually happen, maybe you got very lucky.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Coincidently, I did submit a request to get my imei unlocked via unlock fusion on eBay but I did that today and I never restored my phone on iTunes or got a response back so I'm 99% sure it wasn't that.

4. macrumors 601

If the unlock was processed by unlock_fusion, then any replacement for that device should be unlocked (as well).

That makes the most sense.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

The unlock request was done today for this phone (the replacement). I never requested anything for the previous phone.

6. macrumors regular

it happen to me today, i went to exchange swap my ip5, the girl exchange the phone to me told me it was lock to att, she put the att sim card in to activate it, i thought it was lock, so i just put my tmobile sim in there just incase i lose it. i was about to bought the unlock fusion, but i check my phone, i have tmobile service. so i guess it was unlock

7. macrumors regular

it happen to me today, i went to exchange swap my ip5, the girl exchange the phone to me told me it was lock to att, she put the att sim card in to activate it, i thought it was lock, so i just put my tmobile sim in there just incase i lose it. i was about to bought the unlock fusion, but i check my phone, i have tmobile service. so i guess it was unlock

8. macrumors regular

When you get an iPhone factory unlocked, it is registered in Apple's system as an unlocked device. When you get it replaced at Apple, their system automatically transfers the SIMlock status from one device to the other.

Your IMEI must have been processed before you took it into the store. Otherwise this would not have happened.