Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If At&t increases 5 dollars per old UDP are you going to switch?

• Yes

Votes: 38 51.4%
  • No

Votes: 36 48.6%

• Total voters

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Unlimited with no lube :D

#truthhurts

I've debated back and forth about jumping ship but in this area Verizon's coverage is second to none and I don't like idea of TMO maybe throttling me after 28gb or whatever it is. Plus I tether MBP or IPP a lot. I feel I get my monies worth but... 50/60gb data bucket with Verizon is over $400/mo if I recall so in my mind I keep reminding myself of what it *could* cost me

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore
It's unlimited if any consolation...?

I apologize. I wasn't meaning to pile on or insinuate that you were being ripped off. I meant, more literally, "Wow! That's surprising."

The total you pay isn't too unreasonable, considering all you're getting, but it was quite shocking to see the talk and text line item that high. They are free with shared plans.

Reactions: blaine07

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I apologize. I wasn't meaning to pile on or insinuate that you were being ripped off. I meant, more literally, "Wow! That's surprising."

The total you pay isn't too unreasonable, considering all you're getting, but it was quite shocking to see the talk and text line item that high. They are free with shared plans.

Yeah. I've had this plan so long things were exactly the opposite then. When I got it it was talk/text that was normally very limited and purchased in buckets like data today is and was a big ish deal to have unlimited talk and text then. Lol; funny it is exact opposite of today Today data is the precious and all carries include unlimited talk and text practically

Reactions: Applejuiced

admirk

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
Need some help here guys --

I currently have 4 lines with AT&T. 3 out of the 4 are out of contract. 1 has the UDP. However, I just picked up the iPhone 7+ when it came out on that UDP line. My monthly bill is around $300. I'm 1000% switching over to the T-Mobile One plan. Now my questions is, does this price increase waive the monthly installments owed to AT&T if I decide to switch carriers due to the break of contract ? I know the ETF's are waived but being that I am not under contract, does the same rules apply to the remaining balance of the phone ?

Peter K.

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2012
Philly / SoCal / Jersey Shore

I currently have 4 lines with AT&T. 3 out of the 4 are out of contract. 1 has the UDP. However, I just picked up the iPhone 7+ when it came out on that UDP line. My monthly bill is around $300. I'm 1000% switching over to the T-Mobile One plan. Now my questions is, does this price increase waive the monthly installments owed to AT&T if I decide to switch carriers due to the break of contract ? I know the ETF's are waived but being that I am not under contract, does the same rules apply to the remaining balance of the phone ?

I do not believe so. The NEXT payment plans require you to have active service while you are making payments, but that just means if you cancel the service you have to pay off the entire remaining balance on the phone.

If you just "skip town" and stop making payments and port your number(s) out, the IMEI of any phone with an outstanding balance would eventually be blacklisted. Theoretically, this blacklist covers all US carriers.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

Any price increase will waive the 2 year contract only on that UDP line. Not the other lines that dont have the price increase.
The monthly installment payment via next you still owe them. They do not get waived.

admirk

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
Thank you, gentlemen!

Fortunately enough, the 3 other lines are month to month, so cancelling them out wont be a problem. Just need to figure out the most cost efficient route for the UDP line now that I know the Next installments will still be owed to AT&T.

fluamsler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2016
near Basel, Switzerland
Hey guys just being curious: are there some fair usage clause in your US contract? Because here in Switzerland the 2nd biggest wireless provider Swisscom has written down in the mobile contract for there unlimited plans (the plans are called "Infinity 2.0"):

"Considerable divergences from normal usage" and "special applications" mean that the subscription is being used for a purpose other than intended (i.e. not of that of a normal mobile connection) or is being misused.

Source: https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/help/loesung/fair-use-policy-natel-abos.html

Official there is no number of gigs which you can use before you get throttled or merged to another plan but I heard that it is more than 200 Gigs per month. And I think they are less than 5% of the customers which are using the mobile plan as a Access Point frequently with such massive traffic. So if you want a broadband Internet access you should use primary your DSL- or fiber/copper cable connection.
I think this clause is just a kind of emergency tool to restrict unreasonable customers. And first the service hotline will call you a several times to ask you why you have generated that much traffic before they "punish" your habits. :)

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Hey guys just being curious: are there some fair usage clause in your US contract? Because here in Switzerland the 2nd biggest wireless provider Swisscom has written down in the mobile contract for there unlimited plans (the plans are called "Infinity 2.0":

"Considerable divergences from normal usage" and "special applications" mean that the subscription is being used for a purpose other than intended (i.e. not of that of a normal mobile connection) or is being misused.

Source: https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residential/help/loesung/fair-use-policy-natel-abos.html

Official there is no number of gigs which you can use before you get throttled or merged to another plan but I heard that it is more than 200 Gigs per month. And I think they are less than 5% of the customers which are using the mobile plan as a Access Point frequently with such massive traffic. So if you want a broadband Internet access you should use primary your DSL- or fiber/copper cable connection.
I think this clause is just a kind of emergency tool to restrict unreasonable customers. And first the service hotline will call you a several times to ask you why you have generated that much traffic before they "punish" your habits. :)

Yes, most wireless carriers here in the US slow you down around after 26GB's of data use on congested cell towers during peak times.
So its not always a guarantee that you will get throttled.

Reactions: fluamsler

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
I'm just going to throw this out there... this is what a phone payment cost, unlimited data, unlimited talk, unlimited text, and unlimited hotspot from Verizon runs me every month. Just upgraded to 7+ is why most recent bills are weird but the $231 is what it cost for the above... ON A SINGLE LINE

4e164d6efda86e23934cca85cd1f0b20.png

I see all you all posting about ~$80 bills... just know, it COULD be a LOT worse.

(I usually use 50-60gb of data a month to "get my monies worth" just for the record so one of the new data bucket models just wouldn't work for me... )

That is insane, 50-60 gb a month?? insane

fluamsler

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2016
near Basel, Switzerland
Yes, most wireless carriers here in the US slow you down around after 26GB's of data use on congested cell towers during peak times.
So its not always a guarantee that you will get throttled.

OK, this make sense.
Here there is also no guarantee for full speed LTE. While heavy traffic in big cities it could drop to around 1/4th or 1/5th of your maximum LTE speed with ease.

Thank you for your explanation! :)

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
Might be time to switch, another $5 doesn't sound like much, but it was just increased last February. I have UDP on two of my 3 lines and at this point as a Directv customer it is actually (I think) cheaper to go with that plan then stay on the grandfathered plan. I never thought I would willingly give up the UDP but now that the plan is going to be $40 it is just too expensive.

I honestly thought about switching to one of the new T-Mobile plans, but here in NJ their service is just not even close to that of AT&T or Verizon.

appygirl82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
Oregon
I left the UDP last year and went over to the new Unlimited Plan w/ DirecTV. I pay about $145-150/mo for 2 lines. It's actually not a bad deal?! Really the only other carrier that works decently is Verizon and they are much more expensive for less data. I love having the unlimited data and not have to worry!

Not on a subsidy anymore of course. I do the Apple Upgrade Plan. So also not tied to AT&T anymore other than for service :)

What is everyone's reason for keeping the UDP (the original one)? I guess for me, we already had DirecTV so it all worked out!

smokedogg

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
This definitely sucks, but I can't justify switching because of the increase. I currently pay $79 all in after Fan and taxes for unlimited everything. Technically I have 450 day time minutes and 5000 night minutes, but it's free mobile to mobile so none of that ever comes into play, plus I have over 5000 rollover minutes if I decide to call a land line for 8 hours during the middle of the day. So after the increase I'm at $84 all in unlimited everything. I just don't think I can beat that anywhere else in the market. If there is a better plan out there, someone please tell me.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
This definitely sucks, but I can't justify switching because of the increase. I currently pay $79 all in after Fan and taxes for unlimited everything. Technically I have 450 day time minutes and 5000 night minutes, but it's free mobile to mobile so none of that ever comes into play, plus I have over 5000 rollover minutes if I decide to call a land line for 8 hours during the middle of the day. So after the increase I'm at $84 all in unlimited everything. I just don't think I can beat that anywhere else in the market. If there is a better plan out there, someone please tell me.

There's many better plans out there than paying $84 for a single line.

smokedogg

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2016
There's many better plans out there than paying $84 for a single line.

Examples? Definitely don't mind saving some $$. One thing tho is that I've never had problems with ATT service, so would be weary of switching to new carriers.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Examples? Definitely don't mind saving some $$. One thing tho is that I've never had problems with ATT service, so would be weary of switching to new carriers.

About post paid plans you will get the best deals with a 4-5 line family plan.
If you must stick to just a single solo plan I'd go with prepaid and if you want to stick with AT&T service try their prepaid or one the multiple mvmos that run off the AT&T network.

ray737

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014

You can get unlimited everything from T-Mobile for a single line for $70 all taxes included starting Jan 22. Which also includes Mexico and Canada as well as having data and texts for free international. You won't find that at AT&T. I made the switch last year from AT&T grandfathered plan and have not missed it at all!

lax28

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2014
New Jersey
You can get unlimited everything from T-Mobile for a single line for $70 all taxes included starting Jan 22. Which also includes Mexico and Canada as well as having data and texts for free international. You won't find that at AT&T. I made the switch last year from AT&T grandfathered plan and have not missed it at all!

No doubt T-Mobile has some good plans on paper, it is just the quality of their service is not the same. My bill now is around 200 with att and even is T-Mobile was 75% cheaper I still wouldn't switch. They are a lot better then they used to be, but a lot better than terrible doesn't mean they are equal competitors when it comes to quality of service.

I wish I could make the switch for the savings, but just can't at least not yet. Maybe one day in the future I will be able to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.