AT&T LTE live in Lexington, KY

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anish3232, Dec 19, 2012.

1. macrumors member

LTE is live in Lexington, KY, seems like it went live this afternoon. Lexington was never mentioned in any press releases etc.

2. macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Whoo! Woke up this morning to find the LTE indicator showing on my S3. What a great feeling to wake up to! Finally!

3. macrumors regular

TSKY74

4. macrumors newbie

adhudson

5. macrumors 6502a

I noticed it in the Westport, Fall River, Somerset area of MA today. I looked at my phone and thought I was seeing things. Much faster than 4G!!! Of course it cut off 3-4 miles from my house! Hopefully it expands more soon!

6. macrumors 6502

Elizabethtown is still running on just "4G" which is actually just their HSPA+. I don't understand why we don't have LTE yet considering almost everyone here has an iPhone on AT&T. :rolleyes:

7. macrumors regular

TSKY74

Good to see LTE in Lex, but speeds aren't so impressive. Hit 7.26Mbps (4G hit 4.98Mbps) just now and the highest I've hit was about 23Mbps.

8. macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I have to agree with this. While it's definitely faster than "4G", it's not nearly as fast as I thought it would be. I'm seeing roughly what you said...around 5-8 Mbps (whereas I'm usually around 3-5 Mbps on 4G). I chalk it up to more LTE phones being out there now (iPhone 5, S3's, Atrix HD's, etc). Maybe we'll see the speeds pick up eventually. But I've been underwhelmed so far.

9. macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Update on this.

I talked to a guy at the AT&T store on Richmond Rd and we were talking about the LTE now being live. He brought up, without my prompting, that I may notice the speeds aren't outrageously fast and I said I had noticed that. He said its because the local towers aren't controlled by AT&T (whereas they are in Cincinnati, Louisville, and Nashville), so there are more hoops to jump through and the speeds are part of these hoops. So our LTE here is "dumbed down" next to these other markets. Kinda sucks, and take it with a grain of salt, but that's why our speeds aren't as fast as the other close-by markets.

10. macrumors regular

TSKY74

If ours are slow, Nashville wasn't much faster. Hit just about 20Mbps yesterday.