Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002

joemama

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2003
Do people really hang out at Starbucks that long to peruse the Internet?

Get your coffee and go, people. If I'm "hanging" at a coffee shop, it's because I'm there with someone, and I'm socializing with them. Not putt-sing around the web.

Am I missing something here?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
theres only 7000 starbucks
Not every location offers WiFi. :)

Currently, with T-Mobile, you buy your coffee AND pay $6 per hour ($6 minimum) for WiFi :eek:
Only if you chose to pay by the hour. Both T-Mobile and AT&T have monthly plans that allows unlimited access at Starbucks and other HotSpot locations.

So what's a "Starbucks purchase card"? And if you have to buy it, how is this "free wireless"? :confused:
It's a gift card. The card is free. You "load it" with money that you can later use to pay for your Starbucks coffee.

tothelimit

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
South Florida
Not at Starbucks, but I was asking about current AT&T hotspots. Free for iPhones at present?

ohh...
I'm pretty certain they are not free for iPhone users. The Barnes & Noble near my house is an AT&T hotspot and I can't access it for free from my iPhone - it prompts for a username/pw or asks me to purchase time.

sorry for the misunderstanding ;)

Robbadore64

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why Starbucks is such a dinosaur in this arena. I don't go to Starbucks because their coffee is horrible, so it doesn't really affect me a whole lot, but it's just weird that they charge for wifi. They're the only ones that I know of in these parts (Columbus, OH) that do.

Dave S.

Ditto. I haven't been to one in years and am glad I haven't recently expecting free wifi. I think this is laughable when we have so many free places these days. Oh well, guess I'm not classy enough to afford coffee AND internet at the same time. Seriously, I think even the Kystals down my street has free wifi now.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Can someone define "Starbucks Card holders"? Does that mean I just have to get a Starbucks card and load a few bucks on it? Or is this referring to the Starbucks credit card (Duetto, I think?)? I'd love to have free WiFi at Starbucks on my iPhone... it would definitely be an inducement to visit there more often, because EDGE is sloooooooow.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Kinda interesting, if AT&T is going to offer free wifi for iPhone users at Starbucks, that would seem to suggest that AT&T will give free wifi to iPhone users at its other hotspots.

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
I could have sworn Starbucks already offered free WiFi- the one at the bookstore near my house does, as does another one a little farther away. McDonalds and Panera also offer free WiFi so I don't see why Starbucks can't. I assumed they already did.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
I could have sworn Starbucks already offered free WiFi- the one at the bookstore near my house does, as does another one a little farther away. McDonalds and Panera also offer free WiFi so I don't see why Starbucks can't. I assumed they already did.

If you're getting free wifi at Starbucks, you're either picking it up from somewhere else or paying for the T-Mobile hotspot access without realizing it...

xenotaku

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2005
I might finally have a reason to buy an overpriced bad tasting coffee...Or at least a reason to sit in a store where other people are buying overpriced bad tasting coffee while I'm getting on the Net for free :)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Ditto. I haven't been to one in years and am glad I haven't recently expecting free wifi. I think this is laughable when we have so many free places these days. Oh well, guess I'm not classy enough to afford coffee AND internet at the same time. Seriously, I think even the Kystals down my street has free wifi now.
If you could pop into one of the many "I just bought an iPod Touch and can't find any free WiFi access around my area" threads and help those people out, they'd really appreciate it.

Apparently "free WiFi" isn't easy to find in most areas. :confused:

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
No.

Starbucks purchase card
https://www.starbucks.com/card/default.asp?cookie_test=1&fav_test=1

It's really just a gift card. A lot of people I know use them to budget their addiction. They'll add $30 to the card at the beginning of the month. When the $30 is gone, no more Bux for them the rest of the month.

So is there any reason why I couldn't buy a $10 gift card, use that for a login, and then never use the card? (Or use it extremely sporadically)? Not that I'd want to hang at a starbucks without drinking anything, but in downtown DC that might as well be wifi everywhere.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
they sell tea too. :p although not the best imo.

So it matches their coffee, then?

:p

So is there any reason why I couldn't buy a $10 gift card, use that for a login, and then never use the card? (Or use it extremely sporadically)? Not that I'd want to hang at a starbucks without drinking anything, but in downtown DC that might as well be wifi everywhere.

I still don't think people are reading this correctly. I doubt it's a gift card they're referring to.

At the very least, as someone up-thread speculated, it's the Starbucks VISA card.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
'Bout time

Starbucks has something like 8000 stores worldwide, most of which are in the U.S. They had plans to expand to up to 40,000 stores worldwide but have scaled that back because of lackluster sales.

It might not seem like it, but Starbucks is dying. It's lost its soul. Their espresso drinks aren't even made by hand anymore. They need to do something, and free wireless is just the tip of the iceberg.

I know in other parts of the world, free wireless is not the norm. Just try finding a free wifi spot in Germany for example, it's nearly impossible. T-Mobile has a complete stranglehold on that place. I don't understand why independent cafes, coffee shops and bars there don't offer free access, but that's another thread.

In most cities and towns across the U.S., free access is the rule not the exception. Starbucks needs to embrace this or continue to decline in market relevance. I hope their move to AT&T signals a step in the right direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.