AT&T Offering Refurbished 16 GB iPhone 3Gs for $149

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 20, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AT&T is currently offering refurbished 16 GB iPhone 3G models in both black and white for $149, a $50 discount over previous offerings. The 8 GB model remains at the same $99 price point seen over the past few months. As usual, a two-year contract is required and purchases are limited to one device per household.

AT&T briefly offered refurbished iPhone 3Gs at $99 and $199 in late December, and renewed the promotion at the same price points in mid-February. Apple is expected to release an updated iPhone this summer, and AT&T's price drop could be interpreted as an attempt to clear stock ahead of the launch of the new model.

Article Link: AT&T Offering Refurbished 16 GB iPhone 3Gs for $149

2. macrumors 6502

aawil

Anybody know if these get the full warranty or only 90 days? The at&t website is a little vague.

3. macrumors regular

I believe it would be full 1 year warranty. This happened for the first gen iPhone too.

4. macrumors 6502

jnguyen4

im pretty sure its 90 days. thats y i didn't get a refurb.

the AT&T website said 90 days.

5. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

6. macrumors 604

gkarris

Adds to the rumor that AT&T will be raising voice/data rates over the summer - just in time for the new iPhone...

7. macrumors 6502

How, pls explain.

8. macrumors 6502a

mikeinternet

Smart move. How much coud they possibly get for these come june? 40 bucks?

9. macrumors 65816

stagi

Great deal, I would like to upgrade my wifes first gen but am going to wait until mid summer to see what happens :)

10. macrumors newbie

Warranty

the Refurbs come with the left over warranty on the original purchase date with a minimum of 90 days. I spoke to the guys at an apple store and was told that you can get the extended Apple warranty on the phone. Its $70, which is still much less than the $300 for a new one.

11. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Something is definitely around the corner....:eek::p

12. macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yes, please explain.
    But yeah, this definitely means something is coming around the bend.
    However, the price is extremely cheap, and if you won't need the new features in the 3rd Generation iPhone, this could be an amazing deal.

13. macrumors regular

For the record, I bought a refurbished first generation iPhone from AT&T last April. Through Apple's web site, I entered my purchase date, along with serial number. They extended my warranty for a full-year.

I don't know if there's a different procedure going on now, but that is what happened a year ago..

14. macrumors member

So for those of you who bought a refurb iphone was is in good shape?
    im thinking about upgrading from my second generation.

15. macrumors member

I went into an AT&T store to see refurb in person thinking they were scratched or dropped in water and was told refurbs are ONLY customer returns within 2 week or whatever date of sale or back scratches then backs are replaced.
    Refurbs are NOT phones that have been damaged and fixed.
    I got mine that day and it did not have 1 single scratch on it....perfect condition. No issues with it at all!!!!

16. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Refurbs can be a bunch of things. including brand new phones that have never been used.

17. macrumors 601

Krafty

My AT&T store says they don't sell refurbs.

18. macrumors newbie

Refurbs only online

Your ATT store wont have them. They are only selling them online. But the 2day express shipping is free. I ordered mine on Monday. I was going to wait for the new ones this summer, but $150 for 16GB was just to much to pass up. And Apple said you can get their extended waranty at any point in the first year. Apple has probably the best customer service experience in the US. And no matter where you buy it, Apple will help you.:)

19. macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

Signing up for two years with ATT on the verge of a new gen iPhone would be a killer...

20. macrumors 6502a

So there is no way to buy these phones without signing up for a new account?

21. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

ya, you can also sign a new 2 year contract (if you're eligible)

22. macrumors member

Is this deal good for upgrades or just new service?

I got one of the 16GB refurbs in February and was able to upgrade from my original iPhone.

My brother-in-law says they will not let him use this deal to upgrade an existing AT&T phone this time around, even though it is eligible for upgrade.

Is that really the case, or did he maybe just get a bad representative.

I'm loving my 16GB refurb, although it is an Apple refurb now. I had a pixel that got "stuck" and the Apple store replaced it no questions asked.

-Benster

23. macrumors 6502

iMacoo7

I wAs going to sell my 3G iPhone once I puchasd the new model on eBay. But since they are almost giving the 3G away. I'll just use It as my testing iPhone for developng applications

24. macrumors newbie

I also bought a refurbished one from AT&T (3G iPhone 16GB) and they gave me a one year warranty from my date of purchase.
    The phone was in brand-new condition but had a slight problem with my voicemail, so I called AT&T on a Monday night and they sent me a replacement phone right away. I actually got the replacement Tuesday morning! It was also in brand-new condition.

They only sell the deal to new customers.

I also bought my phone at the $199 dollar price and when I saw them go on sale for $149, I called them up and they gave me a refund for the difference with no questions. AT&T has actually been pretty good.:D

25. macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman