AT&T Offering Unlimited Voice Plan for $99

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 19, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Announced today, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile are offering new $99.99 unlimited voice calling plans. This allows mobile phone customers to talk as long as they want, seven days a week.
    The $99 plans is also available to iPhone users, though you are still required to add the $20 unlimited data plan.

Article Link

2. macrumors 603

shadowfax

My first question is, is it still $10/mo to add a line for a family plan?

3. macrumors 65816

chr1s60

I was thinking the same thing. Is this even an option for iPhone users on a family plan and if so how much does it cost per line?

4. macrumors regular

haha my thoughts exactly, Will it end up costing me a ton of $$ fora family plan or will it be $9.99 extra per line?

5. macrumors 6502a

sounds good, wish something like it would come to Canada

6. Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's only for a single line plan (on Verizon). Family plan unlimited is $199 for 2 lines and some charge for each line after that.

7. macrumors 6502

Looking at Verizon it is basically $99 per line on a family plan. At least that's how I'm reading it.

8. macrumors 6502a

Its $99/line unlimited talk. So if you had a family plan with 3 lines it would be $99 each.

What I'm interested to know is if you can have one line on the unlimited talk plan and two other plans on the same "family talk plan" that use minutes. I mean, I suppose I could break the family talk plan apart, but its a PITA and AT&T might possibly charge contract fees.

9. macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

This drops on the 22nd according to AT&T. They are still working on the logistics on the Family Talk plans.

10. macrumors regular

Hooka

Why would you want unlimited calls on your iphone? My iphone sounds like crap and i can never get a signal, I drop call constantly, it is a complete nightmare, I live in South Florida, anyone else have this problem? Don't get me wrong it does some cool things and it's a great ipod but as a phone, come on? I drop calls on I-95, in Miami Fort Lauderdale home to 5,000,000 people.

11. macrumors member

at&t will never convince me they are not greedy scumbags who provide awful plans. someone please shank their ceo.

12. macrumors newbie

Hooka-I am in West Palm and travel daily into Broward and almost never lose a call. My earpiece volume could be better, but the connection is always full bars. Is your iphone screwed up???

13. macrumors 603

shadowfax

Sounds like a problem with the network to me... Particularly considering the high volume of praise for the phone. Cell tower handoffs (what happens when you are driving) are often dropped when there aren't enough lines on the tower you're switching to. If you have reception issues in general, though, you should consider taking it back--get it replaced under warranty.

14. macrumors 6502

Roaming? Long Distance? Canada? International?

Anyone know how the Unlimited Voice will affect those items? :confused:

15. macrumors regular

Hooka

when I walk my dog around the block I loose reception all the time. I don't get it. I bought my phone in December 2007, can I get an exchange? I've even called AT&T to tell them that the reception is awful in my neck of the woods. I have checked the coverage map and it says I'm in the best place to get full bars. I have never jail-broken or done any modding to the phone. It was also a brand new sim card. I switched from T-Mobile where I had great coverage and rarely dropped calls. oh well?

16. macrumors 68020

Anyone think this will lead them to lowering the current iPhone rate plans or add more minutes? I really want them to sweeten the plans before I get iPhone 2.0, is that likely???

17. macrumors regular

Beligerent

Yeah great timing guys...I just walked into an AT&T store and cancelled my contract cause my iPhone was useless in Concord NH. I paid my $175.00 termination fee right there at the counter and now this.

18. macrumors 6502

You think paying extra for unlimited minutes would solve your reception/coverage problem?

19. macrumors 6502a

You're not alone. I live in South Florida too and my iPhone has dropped a good amount of calls, no matter who I'm talking to. And the reception indoor TOTALLY SUCKS, even inside a grocery store or something.
    I'm not sure if it's AT&T or if it's the phone itself - considering taking it back to :apple: and have it checked before the warranty expires.

20. macrumors 65816

great news, unfortunately i barely use my 700 shared minutes (2 on my plan). As for network coverage, I get excellent coverage, save for a few random spots. Less than 1% of my calls ever drop or have shoddy signal.

21. Guest

liberty4all

22. macrumors member

Wow it seems like only yesterday...

that the telco's were raping people for dedicated digital lines (T1-T3). Now it appears they didn't learn the lesson from that and are offering unlimited voice for 99/mo?! Who in their right mind pays for these outrageously over priced plans? I have a sneaking suspicion with the SDK launching at the end of the month they know that skype, gizmo, etc are coming to the iphone and the days of raping customers per minute for voice are over. Just my theory but the writing is on the wall.

X

23. macrumors 6502

Agreed! My iPhone drops calls daily, often has no signal.
    Absolutly the worst " cellphone" I've ever had. Love it for everything else it does though.

Does not even work in the airport in baggage!

BTW - we are in Tucson, AZ.

24. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

If only.. data prices still need to change quite a bit.

There was an internal memo sent out today by Rogers, data prices changing quite a bit, no unlimited but $15 buys 20mb, which is a big jump from 1.5mb, and unlike paying insane overage if you go over the usage, it bumps up into the next tier of data, which is up to 60mb for $30, and a maximum of up to 5GB for $100 (and each megabyte being $0.03 afterwards!). Which is insanely better than a couple cents per kilobyte in the past!

Anywho.. Unlimited minutes is not something I need, I'm paying 10 bucks for 250 min and unlimited evenings, and I'm well below that, however when I worked at Sprint I did see one or two accounts with Unlimited voice minutes for $60/month, plus unlimited texting for $0 as part of an old promo back around 2001

25. macrumors member

Dumb

I talked to at&t today and the plan is $99.99 for the first line, on a family talk it is $199.99.

Now I know it is nit-picking, but that is a penny more than having two single plans. What is with that?

Atrus