Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
ATT is the best provider IMO. Been with them for 20 years.
ROTFL... So you admit you have no experience with other carriers, but they're the best? AT&T's specialty is nickel-and-diming their customers, charging for stuff that costs them absolutely nothing. Overall their coverage is not particularly better than T-Mobile, however they charge more than twice as much for less. Ditched my "grandfathered unlimited plan" a couple of years ago and I've been a thrilled T-Mo customer ever since. Service quality and coverage has been consistently improving in that time period, and they've been adding more and more new features -- for free.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
ROTFL... So you admit you have no experience with other carriers, but they're the best? AT&T's specialty is nickel-and-diming their customers, charging for stuff that costs them absolutely nothing. Overall their coverage is not particularly better than T-Mobile, however they charge more than twice as much for less. Ditched my "grandfathered unlimited plan" a couple of years ago and I've been a thrilled T-Mo customer ever since. Service quality and coverage has been consistently improving in that time period, and they've been adding more and more new features -- for free.

I have to disagree with you.
I have t-mo and Att. For me att is better. With my FAN account and 2-year subsidy I pay less to att.
T-mo is also good. Everything is personal.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Classic smoke screen, because they are probably not ready.

They should have just done the same as the others. The FCC would have never even gotten involved.
A waste of time when old technology is proven outdated.

The own wifi network is so pathetic they have to disable wifi calling to prevent the phones from attempting calls on their own wifi hotspots. Since the phones auto connect to the access point it would be a horrific user experience.

Reactions: Xultar

Silver Idaten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2015
Stratford, CT
Still better than Verizon, still no word from them. **** you, Verizon, your service isn't as great as you say. I left them because I was paying an overpriced bill for their so-called 'top tier service' when all I had was a dead zone at home and congested data on the go. I used Wi-Fi calling through Google Hangouts on iPhone and Android devices when I had them, because if I tried to make a call it would either drop or the other person couldn't hear me. Switched to T-Mobile and have perfect service and the fastest speeds I've ever seen.

So at least AT&T has acknowledged it. Verizon still acts like they're the best. **** Verizon.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
FCC waiver is good till 12/31/2017.

:)))
News forecast here:
01/01/2018 ...FCC penalizes Att for not having TTY-over-wifi. Since T-mo and Sprint have not applied for waiver they can still have vowifi without penalties:))))

brianlbaker

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
huh? There is no official 6p, just a few insiders have it. iOS 9.3 won't be out until Dec. Are you beta testing it?

Que? The iPhone 6P has been out for a year, and the 6SP just came out. As for 9.3, yes, I'm a public beta tester.

Norbs12

Suspended
Apr 24, 2015
Mountain View, CA
We're grateful the FCC has granted AT&T's waiver request so we can begin providing Wi-Fi calling. At the same time we are left scratching our heads as to why the FCC still seems intent on excusing the behavior of T-Mobile and Sprint, who have been offering these services without a waiver for quite some time. Instead of initiating enforcement action against them, or at least opening an investigation, the agency has effectively invited them to now apply for similar waivers and implied that their prior flaunting of FCC rules will be ignored. This is exactly what we meant when our letter spoke of concerns about asymmetric regulation.

Only scumbag AT&T would try and throw someone under the bus like that. They act like they are some innocent helpless victim of some great crime to them. Go throttle some data...

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Keep waiting people, we are not really ready- AT&T
Stall, stall..... but to be fair could we expect them to embrace a potential revenue drain that could turn into a torrent.....?

P.S. For the record, I'm not known for ever having defended AT&T, other than saying they (Cingular then) single-handedly supported the original iPhone, when no other carrier would touch it at the time.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
How can I choose no to block vowifi?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    242.2 KB · Views: 166

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009

I tried T-M but I'm in one of their dead spots. Coverage is great a quarter-mile (or less) in any direction by not here. I disagree about the T-M vs AT&T coverage - in some regions it's similar but in others it's a night-and-day difference. Most of the DC Metro region gets good T-M coverage, but not me :(

So I switched to Consumer Cellular which is an AT&T MVNO. Same coverage (obviously) and better pricing and service. Note: some folks recently discovered that CC also is an MVNO for T-M and it depends upon the SIM you get. Talk to them to make sure you get the one you want - they're friendly and very helpful. I'm more than satisfied !

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
wifi calling is good. AT&T should implement it.

ATT has a lot of customer gauging issues.
For starters they charge $ 30 to have an iPhone to compensate for the subsidized part of a phone, plus it only comes with a 2 year contract.

After that contract is up they keep charging the $ 30. Even if one were to come with an unlocked fully paid phone they'll charge $ 30.
I am still on unlimited, so whatever I want to do differently would end that.

Plus a $ 45 "upgrade fee" for something I can type in online (new phone id etc.)

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
They tore up the yards in my neighborhood in the spring too. However, I must say that having gigabit fiber going to my home now is totally worth it.

$110 a month for Gigabit up and down? Freaking sign me up. I wish I lived closer to Orlando where it just went live.

stars_fan

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Nut house
I hung onto ATT for years because I was grandfathered in from unlimited phone plans from 2008. I switched to Tmobile two months ago. Cut my phone bill in half and the service isn't bad even when I am on the roadway far from the city.

The problem is the only internet I have in my area is ATT UVERSE. I overpay for a speed I rare get, forced to lease a router made 6 years ago for $8 a month, and have patchy connections which is awful considering I work from home and end up disconnected from Skype connections with business clients.

They tore up our yards over the past six months to "improve service" but just found out that, unless I sign up for gigapower, I will not see any of those improvements to service.

A VoIP call will be between 8-64k based on the codec they use. Most likely it will use 8k AMR

I didn't stay at a holiday inn last night but I do have many years in support for Avaya/Cisco VoIP.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I will happily accept ATT wifi calling, but would prefer they spend some of my money adding cell towers so that they actually have [usable] service between Madison and Eau Claire. I drive from Chicago to Minneapolis, and further north, and for a good 90 minutes (at 75mph) two to three times a month, I barely get edge network service. I get that there are more cows in this area than humans, but it is a major highway between large cities (Chicago and Minneapolis) and not having service in this day and age is ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.